New Front Page

I'm just dreading it a bit since I think that I maybe should start up with a bigger resolution map to allow for more further development (which leads to quite an amount of repeat work having to be done!).

Hi Sverre,

I know this is a bit OT, but if you're talking about Campaign Cartographer, my advice would be to work with the size of map you need right now. It's always a temptation to have a humongous master map and zoom in and in on that map till you get to the area you want, but IMHO it generally leads to a huge, unwieldy, and rather unaesthetic document! :eek:

I find in my own mapmaking it's much better to have dedicated purpose-driven maps, each in their own "sandbox". That way too you can tinker with the aesthetics to fit the scale of map - different projections, etc. Once you get a certain amount of experience with CC, it's actually easier to run up a new coastline / river set / whatever, than to try to have to manage a map which is meant to be viewable at widely different levels of zoom.

All IMHO of course - your mileage will definitely vary! Happy mapping! :D

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to be negative about this place but....

1. Its really ugly. The graphics are too fussy and unnecessary. Simple is good, there is a reason google is the no1 search engine :D

2. The backgrounds are too dark making the text harder to read and the fonts are too big. In design generally backgrounds behind text are frowned upon. People don't visit sites for graphics they visit for content. The text is the thing.

Seriously the old page was easier to read and more functional. Please go back to it.

How big screen, which resolution and what browser do you use?

17", 1024x768 (32bit colour), IE7. Pretty standard, I think...

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I have the current home page not broken, but the page behind the link in

the posting (no. 13) in this thread is broken... ?

No, sorry: The page behind the link is broken when I minimize the picture,

and not broken when I maximize it - whatever that may mean ...

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Nice with a bit of sprucing up of the old place :)

A few comments though, the top of the shelf with the bottles is repeated below the picture and the parchment background, while attractive is a mite too dark for easy reading.

In short, pretty much was has been said before.

Firefox, 19" screen 1280x1024.

17", 1024x768 (32bit colour), IE7. Pretty standard, I think...

Yep. It's broken on my computer at work too. The H1 text gets too big and breaks the header. I'll try to use fixed letter size and see how that works.

I have the current home page not broken, but the page behind the link in

the posting (no. 13) in this thread is broken... ?

No, sorry: The page behind the link is broken when I minimize the picture,

and not broken when I maximize it - whatever that may mean ...

That's because of the headline text gets shown on several lines in the header and leads to a repeat of the "cell" in the header it's in. I would be fixed if I make the text a part of the picture though. I'll have to consider that.

Nice with a bit of sprucing up of the old place :)

A few comments though, the top of the shelf with the bottles is repeated below the picture and the parchment background, while attractive is a mite too dark for easy reading.

In short, pretty much was has been said before.

Firefox, 19" screen 1280x1024.

The repeating of the header has to be fixed. I'll try to lighten up the parchment a bit too.

Sorry to be negative about this place but....

1. Its really ugly. The graphics are too fussy and unnecessary. Simple is good, there is a reason google is the no1 search engine :D

"Smaken er som baken", as we use to say in Norway. I didn't particularly liked the old frontpage, and prefer the new one.

2. The backgrounds are too dark making the text harder to read and the fonts are too big. In design generally backgrounds behind text are frowned upon. People don't visit sites for graphics they visit for content. The text is the thing.

The parchment background might be too dark, I'll try to lighten that. You say the fonts are too big - to you mean the header now, or all the text? The frontpage is more of an introduction page than a content page.

Seriously the old page was easier to read and more functional. Please go back to it.

Ones the new one is "fixed", I can open up a poll. If the majority prefer the old one, it's easy to revert.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

The parchment background might be too dark, I'll try to lighten that.

Why not just get rid of it? It adds nothing except download time and server bandwidth costs.

You say the fonts are too big - to you mean the header now, or all the text? The frontpage is more of an introduction page than a content page.

All the text on the front page is too big, if you look at it the difference between bolded text and non bolded is minimal. IMHO al the text should be the same size as the text in the forum sections that way the transfer is not jarring.

Why not just get rid of it? It adds nothing except download time and server bandwidth costs.

It adds a bit of style! ;)

All the text on the front page is too big, if you look at it the difference between bolded text and non bolded is minimal. IMHO al the text should be the same size as the text in the forum sections that way the transfer is not jarring.

The text looks good on my computer here at home, but I've seen that it appears way too big on some other computers. I'll try to fix that.

SGL.

The Header text is now of fixed size and should move left instead of break the header when the screen is minimized (up to a point). The parchment background is lightened, and the other text should also be of normal size now.

Anyone who still finds any problems with the new frontpage?

SGL.

Sorry, but here's some more invaluable feedback:

The main "Basic Roleplaying Forum" title overwrites the bar image, so I can't see (most of) the "B".

Also, the parchment background has a dark splodge which unfortunately comes just where the thread title ("New Front Page" or whatever) usually is, making it look like the kids have made my screen horribly dirty.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

The main "Basic Roleplaying Forum" title overwrites the bar image, so I can't see (most of) the "B".

Is that with the browser window filling the entire screen?

That's weird. Mine can be shrinked quite a bit before that happenes. :ohwell:

Back to the drawing board...

Also, the parchment background has a dark splodge which unfortunately comes just where the thread title ("New Front Page" or whatever) usually is, making it look like the kids have made my screen horribly dirty.

I'll try to lighten that particular spot a bit.

SGL.

Yep, maximized. (It's slightly worse if I "Restore Down", as the tooltip calls it).

Perhaps putting a cell (of suitable width) to the left of the cell with the title would fix it?

Yep, maximized. (It's slightly worse if I "Restore Down", as the tooltip calls it).

Perhaps putting a cell (of suitable width) to the left of the cell with the title would fix it?

I've added a cell, and removed the dirt from your screen. ;)

How does it look now?

SGL.

There's a Front Page?

I keep forgetting. I go straight to the Forum normally.

It looks OK. I prefer a plain background as colours confuse me but it's not too confusing. It would give me a headache if the backgrounds in the forum were the sam, though.

I just re-read the Upcoming Releases and it struck me that there would be some overlaps between Fractured Worlds and Interplanetary, both having some kind of space travel in a SciFi setting.

How much correspondence will we have between the two settings? Will the technology be compatible, even if the technological levels are different?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

I just re-read the Upcoming Releases and it struck me that there would be some overlaps between Fractured Worlds and Interplanetary, both having some kind of space travel in a SciFi setting.

How much correspondence will we have between the two settings? Will the technology be compatible, even if the technological levels are different?

Everything I've read about Fractured Worlds indicates to me that it will have very little overlap with Interplanetary.

I've added a cell, and removed the dirt from your screen. ;) How does it look now?

Thanks! It looks good. (The title overwrites only if I go out of my way to shrink the window much smaller than usual - so no problem). :)

There's a Front Page? I keep forgetting. I go straight to the Forum normally.

Unless I'm much mistaken, it's all the pages now...

Is there any reason why Basic Roleplaying isn't the first article on the Home Page?

I'd have thought it would make sense to have this as the first one and the others following. Unless, of course, BRP Rome and Fractured Hopes are coming out before BRP.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

Is there any reason why Basic Roleplaying isn't the first article on the Home Page?

Good point. At least there should be a section for BRP Zero at the top - that's the one that's actually published, after all! Mr T?

Unless, of course, BRP Rome and Fractured Hopes are coming out before BRP.

Patience, man! We don't want them to rush it and risk making the rules (particularly for combat) a monumental disaster like Mongoose have with their attempt at RQ...

I'd have thought it would make sense to have this as the first one and the others following. Unless, of course, BRP Rome and Fractured Hopes are coming out before BRP.

The reason is that BRP Rome was the latest news bit to be updated. While it does makes sense to have the BRP article on top, that would also make it hard to detect new articles that arrived below. Chaos & Catacombs will be on top later today!

SGL.