Martial Arts Skill Question

Cowboy Duck

Hey, all-

Is the rating for a character's martial arts skill added to another combat skill and then each attack/maneuver is one skill roll based off that combined rating?

That's how I've been doing it, but I just want to make sure that adding the two separate skills together is the intention of the martial arts skill.

Thanks!

Matt

I think this is basically the RQ3 way of doing it. You make a single roll; if you are under your unarmed skill but over your martial arts skill, you succeed in a standard attack; if you roll under your unarmed skill AND your martial arts skill, you succeed in a martial arts attack and get the extra damage.

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

In my games, I make the Martial Art skill one that is used on its own. That way, it gets a chance to raise through experience.

You appear to be assuming that if Martial Arts is used in combination with another skill a successful use of it does not entitle the character to tick it for possible increase. Why?

The black rivers of pitch that flow under those mysterious cyclopean bridges - things built by some elder race extinct and forgotten before the beings came to Yuggoth from the ultimate voids - ought to be enough to make any man a Dante or Poe if he can keep sane long enough to tell what he has seen.

Shaira's description is the "official" way of doing it. This always struck me as strange, since this is the only skill that's handled this way.

In my games, I make the Martial Art skill one that is used on its own. That way, it gets a chance to raise through experience.

You appear to be assuming that if Martial Arts is used in combination with another skill a successful use of it does not entitle the character to tick it for possible increase. Why?

My copies of RQ3 say that Martial Arts is not a skill that can be increased through experience; only by research and/or training, and that's the way I have always done it. You'd get a check on whatever attack you succeeded with, but you don't get better at Shaolin through hitting things, you get better at Shaolin by meditation and clean living ;)

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

(92/420)

My copies of RQ3 say that Martial Arts is not a skill that can be increased through experience; only by research and/or training, and that's the way I have always done it. You'd get a check on whatever attack you succeeded with, but you don't get better at Shaolin through hitting things, you get better at Shaolin by meditation and clean living ;)

From the BRP manuscript:

"Due to its relative power, the gamemaster may rule that the initial skill rating in this skill be limited, that increases to this skill may be limited to training rather than normal experience, that training may be incredibly difficult to obtain, or all three of these conditions."

Ah. CoC (the BRP system I'm most familiar with) has no such restriction for its Martial Arts skill (that I can find - there certainly isn't one in the skill entry).

The black rivers of pitch that flow under those mysterious cyclopean bridges - things built by some elder race extinct and forgotten before the beings came to Yuggoth from the ultimate voids - ought to be enough to make any man a Dante or Poe if he can keep sane long enough to tell what he has seen.

From the BRP manuscript: "Due to its relative power, the gamemaster may rule...<snip>"

So BRP is CoC with options to be RQ3. But we knew that, didn't we? ;)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

So BRP is...

... still great, anyway! It's got my money - and probably will again.

(Sorry if you didn't like my poem, Mr D).

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

So BRP is CoC with options to be RQ3. But we knew that, didn't we? ;)

You forgot the SB elements (Outch Jason, not on my head. Please Jason, bring down that flamethrower :innocent:).

Oh, I forgot, there is no martial arts in SB.

:focus:

Whatever the case, the new rule seems fine for me. The GM will have to make his choice before start, depending on what he feels best for his game.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster