The Witcher (RQ6) or (MW)

Darkholme

So, I recently finished a playthrough of the Witcher 1, and am about to start a Playthrough of the Witcher 2, and just saw the Trailers/Gameplay Presentation for the Witcher 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx8kQ4s5hCY, which is scheduled for release in February.

Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked about it. Looking forward to playing the game; probably going to pick up the novels (the ones that have been translated, at least), and planning on picking up This Book in combination with the Wiki as a setting guide, to possibly run a Witcher-Based  tabletop game; either in RQ6 or MW. :)

Does anyone else here have an interest in the Witcher? I think it would be pretty good with BRP. It might take a bit of adjusting to get the magic system/alchemy/signs to have the right feeling to it, and you might want to redo the races (plus add in a race for the Witchers, which are alchemy+magic mutated humans). And then some custom monsters as they come up.

Disuss? :)

IIRC there have been threads over at Mongoose about doing The Witcher stuff with Legend so you might want to have a look there as Legend is pretty close to RQ6.

RQ5 is pretty close to RQ6. I imagine much of the RQ5 stuff would plug into RQ6 pretty well with little modification.

Hmm. I would definitely be interested in checking that out; though from what I heard, the system was not very good: we'll see though. Do you happen to have a link? I can't seem to find it.

I have a link to the first draft. It's only the first chapters and the translation is rough, but you get a feel of the game.

As it sits now, it is a direct translation of a dead, but still copyrighted game, I'm not sure what the beetlebreeder would say if I posted a direct link to it.

Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked about it. Looking forward to playing the game; probably going to pick up the novels (the ones that have been translated, at least), and planning on picking up This Book in combination with the Wiki as a setting guide, to possibly run a Witcher-Based  tabletop game; either in RQ6 or MW. :)

The short stories and novels are great in my opinion. They are immensely fun to read and really want to be used as a BRP setting.

(Too bad that there is a stupid gap in the English translation. The second short story collection - which would be  "The Sword of Destiny" - was not translated which makes some events in Blood of Elves hard to understand.)

My system of Choice for the Witcher would be Magic World, using the Advanced Sorcery supplement for the ultra-powerful magics of the glamourous sorceresses.

MW - which can also stand for Major Wound ;) - is gritty and fast and perfectly fits the Witcher world.

I am not entirely certain how flashy Witcher Signs are in the books (although I have read some of them) but in Witcher 2 videogame they might be too powerful to simple Folk Magic that I would suggest. Maybe you could add some selected Sorcery spells. That is if using RQ6, I'm not certain how to do it with MW.

You could easily do this with MagicWorld, and it does have the right 'flavour' for the Witcher series.

However I personally prefer RQ6 due to the more tactile feel of hand-to-hand combat, which would be pivotal to a gritty setting like this. I think you would use the Sorcery magic to simulate the magic in the Witcher series. If there is already a fan-made version of Witcher done for LEGEND then I would just run with that if you think it captures what you are after.

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"