M-Space questions

heathd666

so after going through the pdf i have some questions and mayby i will find out before i finish reading the book but here goes

on page 15 of the pdf it does not list evade, but on page 16 evade is listed in the descriptions of the standard skills also it is not on the character sheet i believe evade got changed to dodge and this was just missed because on page 15 dodge is listed in the skill brief but it is not listed in the descriptions.

unarmed is listed in the pdf but is not on the character sheet.

medicine is listed in the descriptions but not in the character sheet.

on the professions skills using acting as an example does it start at cha x2 even if i do not put any points into it or do i only get the cha x2 only if i put at least 1 point into it.

on page 24 under the orbit standard skill list it has pilot as a standard skill instead of a professional

sorry if i was not supposed to post this here i did not see where to post mis prints and such.

so far this looks like a great game and i love the art.

Edited by heathd666
  • Like 1

so ive read through the ship design and decided its kind of complicated. i dont understand where i get values for 7 engine modules and 7 for maneuver from the example. do they count against the modules total? also on the ship character sheet it lists handling is it supposed to be manuever?

Edited by heathd666

12 hours ago, heathd666 said:

so after going through the pdf i have some questions and mayby i will find out before i finish reading the book but here goes

on page 15 of the pdf it does not list evade, but on page 16 evade is listed in the descriptions of the standard skills also it is not on the character sheet i believe evade got changed to dodge and this was just missed because on page 15 dodge is listed in the skill brief but it is not listed in the descriptions.

unarmed is listed in the pdf but is not on the character sheet.

medicine is listed in the descriptions but not in the character sheet.

on the professions skills using acting as an example does it start at cha x2 even if i do not put any points into it or do i only get the cha x2 only if i put at least 1 point into it.

on page 24 under the orbit standard skill list it has pilot as a standard skill instead of a professional

sorry if i was not supposed to post this here i did not see where to post mis prints and such.

so far this looks like a great game and i love the art.

Evade is the Mythras skill equivalent of BRP's Dodge skill. I guess it got lost in translation, but they mean the same thing. It actually refers to 'Dodge' in the Evade skill description!

Unarmed is included on the character sheet in the combat box. It's a combat style. 

Medicine does appear to be missing, so I guess you'll have to write it in one of the blank spaces. 

Any Professional skill essentially operates at 0% unless you invest in it - it's what differentiates them from basic skills. If you do choose a professional skill, then the base is based on Characteristics still. In this case, Acting will be based on CHA x2%. I'd say that pilot is a Professional skill, although if one comes from an Orbital cultural background, then maybe it is considered a basic skill..

Sorry for the confusion.

Evade/Dodge: It should be Evade everywhere. 

Medicine: I'm adding that to the character sheet on our webpage. The new version will be uploaded later today.

Unarmed: As TrippyHippy says, it's in the combat box on page 2 of the character sheet.

Pilot skill: This is a professional skill and it just ended up in the wrong place on page 24.

Acting: Again, as TrippyHippy states, all professional skills must be picked to start at STAT+STAT or STAT x2. Otherwise they remain at zero.

Regarding the starship design rules, I would say they are pretty straightforward. But for Engines and Maneuvering, and their connection to the stats Speed and Handling, you need to bring out the calculator. There´s a detailed walkthrough you can download from our webpage (www.frostbytebooks.com) that might clear things up a bit.

The basic concept is that every thruster module, both Engines and Maneuver, has an efficiency called Thrust Rating (TR). For  example, for a very simple shuttle with 10 Modules (let's say 2 Cockpit Modules, 8 Passenger Modules) we try adding 2 Engine and 2 Maneuver modules. The new ship total is 10+2+2=14 modules, that is Size 14

Starting with an Engine TR of 70: 70x2=140 as the total TR for the Engine. Divide that with the total number of ship modules: 140/14=10. Resulting in Speed 10.

The calculation for Maneuver is the same here, resulting in a Handling of 10.

Does that make things clearer?

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

yeap i appreciate the help guys im fixing to pitch this to my players saturday and have been working on character creation and ship creation so i can at least pretend i know what i am talking about. i got confused on the modules thing when it came to engines and maneuver and wasnt sure if they were seperate as in i had to buy 10 engine and than 10 maneuver. does manuever and engine have to be equal?

• Like 1

Engine and Maneuver is completely separate. Most of the time I start with the same number of modules to simplify the process, and then make small adjustments, but that's just me. 

Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions. Good luck with the pitch. 

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

• 4 months later...

another quick question for those that are Mythras savvy and/or have ran M-Space. i wanted to add a sort of race for players when they create their alter ego. i decided that there were either those that grew up on a planet with gravity or those that grew up in outer space with face gravity or no gravity so i decided to go with the below choice when creating characters. what are your thoughts on it. im still new to the whole mythras thing but learning its a bit different from the BGB. 

Planet Born or Zero-G Born – Those born on a planet are usually stockier in their physique and are able to act normally in gravity. However because of their higher bone density and greater mass when doing anything physical in zero gravity they make all rolls at one step harder than normal. Those Born in Zero-G are born in outer space or on board a ship with gravity producers and are usually long of limb with bigger heads and usually a very thin build (think kind of a normal human being but stretched out to where they are thin and long of limb). They have trouble moving on planets with an actual gravity for any length of time. They have a harder time doing physical things while on a planet with gravity and must roll those skills at one step harder than normal.

• Like 1

ive been reading and watching the expanse and it got me thinking about cultures in M-Space. so you have planet born cultures rural and urban. than you have space born culture with orbit. what about a military born culture something kind of like the storm troopers from star wars or if you have seen the movie soldiers with kurt russell in it, about boys born and raised into the military. what would their cultural skills be and is it even feasable for play balance to have a military culture like that.

also combat styles, it mentions adding traits for different styles. i cant find much mention of this in mythras imperative. is it something static that anytime it falls within the range of ones combat styles you use it 1 difficulty step easier? im sorry for all the questions ive searched a bit on the brp central forums and im afraid i dont understand how to create combat styles and what to do with them after you create them. perphaps you could give an example of creating a combat style and the whys and whats. i found the examples in mythras imperative on page 20 but was curios about more m-space themed ones.

thanks so much for your time

Edited by heathd666
  • Like 1

Your concept for how gravity affects different characters sounds fine. This is what the proposed rule on page 24 says in M-SPACE:

"Low gravity characters: STR & CON -2 each, DEX & POW +2 each. Make a Hard Endurance roll every day spent in normal or higher gravity. If failed, apply a Hard penalty to all physical skills." They will also be very likely to have a high Zero G skill.

It also depends on how you want to use the Zero G skill: do you want to make a separate roll for difficult maneuvers or would you rather use it as a skill cap, similar to Riding? If used as a cap for other skills, the Zero G skill in itself will be a very limiting factor in many situations. That way, the Zero-G Born will be at an advantage just by having a high skill value.

Regarding a "military culture" - have you seen the system for backgrounds used in Luther Arkwright? It's a very flexible system and you can probably tweak the Militaristic Social Type to fit your needs in this case.

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2017 at 10:19 AM, heathd666 said:

also combat styles, it mentions adding traits for different styles. i cant find much mention of this in mythras imperative. is it something static that anytime it falls within the range of ones combat styles you use it 1 difficulty step easier? im sorry for all the questions ive searched a bit on the brp central forums and im afraid i dont understand how to create combat styles and what to do with them after you create them. perphaps you could give an example of creating a combat style and the whys and whats. i found the examples in mythras imperative on page 20 but was curios about more m-space themed ones.

im still kind of lacking understanding on this one especially as it applies to m-space. i used the "Combat Styles are weapon class based" (from Mythras page 88) so for my game they took for example pistols, and it allows them to use any weapon that is considered a pistol. but i am still lacking understanding about how to use the combat style and adding traits part of the system. can anyone throw me a bone and shine some light on it mayby by giving an example and how you came to that conclusion in the example of creating the combat styles. thanks.

• Like 1

(I have updated my view of Combat Styles recently. Using styles for weapon categories (for example Pistols or Rifles as suggested in the rules) work fine but I find the method below to be easier to handle).

The way I see it, Combat Styles is a way to simplify weapon skills but also to reflect the way characters have been trained in combat. A scout might have the Combat Style Scout Training (Blaster, Blaster Rifle, Unarmed), reflecting her battle training. A xeno-archeologist, on the other hand, might have Infrequent Self-Defense (Blaster), showcasing a more casual relation to violence. 

The number of weapons included in a style is up to the player and GM to agree upon. My rule of thumb is to let characters with professional training in combat/security include more weapons (around 4), while non-violent careers will have 1-2. But if a player has good reasons  for a journalist to be a multi-weapon equilibrist, that's fine - the cultural packages allow for this. 

So far, I have not used traits much. But they are really just icing on the cake. A smuggler might have Street Fighter (Blaster, Dagger, Unarmed) with an added From the Hip trait to reflect her constant preparedness. 

so when they earn an experience roll does it apply to all the skills or just oneof the skills in the styles? or are they even considered skills anymore. in your example the smuggler that has street fighter. does his experience roll apply to street fighter in which blaster,dagger,and unarmed are all included?

• Like 1

It seems like Clarence means for M-SPACE combat styles to work as they do in Mythras.  In that case, the Combat Style is improved with the experience roll.  Its score applies to the use of any weapon listed under it, for offense or defense.  The weapons are not developed as individual skills, but as a set, with both attacks and parries covered together, which saves a lot of experience rolls.  It's a big difference from prior incarnations of RQ/BRP.

• Like 1

Our latest Horror Fantasy adventure has arrived.  Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!

• 3 weeks later...

have another question as this came up while my group and me were discussing last weeks game of M-space last night. One of my players has picked up Military Body armor for his Head, chest, and abdomen. he has light Body armor for his left and right arms and left and right legs. Normally the penalty for light body armor for a full suit is -10% to physical skills, and for military body armor -25% to all physical skills for a full suit. so how should this be applied since it is a mixture of the penalties what should the penalty be for his physical skills? i was going to go with -25% since the majority of his armor is military. your thoughts?

This is what a purely mathematical route provides: 

(-25x3)+(-10x4)=-115

-115/7=-16.4

So, let's round it down to -15%. But as the heavy armour pieces cover the core of the body I would say -20% is more realistic. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, clarence said:

This is what a purely mathematical route provides: 

(-25x3)+(-10x4)=-115

-115/7=-16.4

So, let's round it down to -15%. But as the heavy armour pieces cover the core of the body I would say -20% is more realistic. 

My own preference -- if we want realism -- would be to keep it at 15% for most things (because the limbs have the lighter & more-flexible / convenient armor), but go to -20% for anything where sustained effort / fatigue / etc come into play -- because you ARE hauling around the heaviest pieces of the heavier armor.  But as always, that goes to the realism-vs-complexity trade-off.

• Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig