'A brief history of Superworld' article by Steve Perrin

MOB

The new Wild Cards website has a great article by Steve Perrin about the genesis of Superworld, the RPG that George RR Martin got so captivated by he reckons it "cost him a novel". Steve mentions at one stage GRRM was actually in negotiations with Chaosium for a campaign book (but went on to write Wild Cards instead). Another of roleplaying gaming's tantalizing "what ifs"...

http://www.wildcardsworld.com/a-brief-history-of-superworld/

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Vexthug said:

Its comforting to know someone is at least thinking about rebooting superworld. It would be cool if they could release an official wildcards rpg. That would work better than a generic superworld game.

+1

Actually, a "generic" superworld -- so folks can play whatever flavor of 4color they want -- with a specific "default setting" of WildCards.  That'd be just about perfect, I think...

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:14 PM, trystero said:

There were licensed Wild Cards supplements for GURPS back in the late '80s and early '90s. I'm guessing the license has expired by now, though.

The license was later picked up by Green Ronin for their supers game Mutants and Masterminds. But I'm not certain of its current status. Green Ronin has developed the habit of taking a license and pursuing it finitely, as opposed to as ongoing projects (witness their recently-lapsed DC Comics license, which is basically a snapshot of the comics just before one of their more recent universal resets).

Green Ronin also currently holds the RPG license for the Game of Thrones series (novels, not the TV series).

Edited by Michael Hopcroft
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2017 at 8:06 AM, Vexthug said:

It would be cool if they could release an official wildcards rpg.

I don't know much about Wildcards but it seems to have a following.
Not that it's ever going to happen... but a supers setting I'd like to see fleshed out for Superworld is City of Heroes... though we've got a nice start on that here in the downloads. City of Heroes was generally lower-powered (no supermen or green lanterns) and many of the villains were straight out of old school pulps.

• Like 2