Guide to Glorantha Group Read Week 12 - Chen Durel

Bliss in Ignorance appears to have two capitals.  There's Su Lo Cha p290 but Can Shu the ruler lives in Zhi Ti.

p288 Eristi the Doubter who made a curiously prominent appearance in the myths of Uz Lore appears to have ended up in Eristiland as does a certain magical item from Plunder!

• 2 weeks later...

Hali - my best guess is that this a reference to the Lake of Hali, making ruined Karakosë a reference to lost Carcosa. so a reference to Lovecraft/Bierce/Robert Chambers, which fits the creepy vibe of the area. 

Though Karaköse was the former name of a city in Azerbaijan, named originally after a 'black church'. I think that is probably just an odd coincidence.

Jankley Bore - one of Sandys many Edward Lear in-jokes, a reference to the Chankly Bore. 

So Grombul probably a reference to the Gromboolian Plain.

the Nimble Hen, with its single twisted leg, is reference to the Fimble Fowl, with its corkscrew leg. The creature whose initials are Y.B.B. Is the Yonghy-Bonghy-Bo. 

Coromandel -> Koromondol, Turtle Cove, Stone Heap, prawns and watercress, are all further references to The Courtship of the Yonghy-Bonghy-Bo. The jack o bears are because it's 'where the early pumpkins blow'. 

Any more? 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, davecake said:

Jankley Bore - one of Sandys many Edward Lear in-jokes, a reference to the Chankly Bore. 

Thank you, I meant to ask when the time came up (but then promptly forgot) whether Chen Durel was Sandy's work. It sounded so bonkers to me, that I thought it had to be (and I mean that in a nice way).