Sign in to follow this  
Algesan

Character Creation - Figuring Skill Caps

Okay, maybe I missed this in the BRB, but I'm trying to work this since while I'm currently doing a familiarization run with converted characters, I plan on starting a new campaign with new characters later and this has been brought up.

The question is about skill percentage caps.  For purposes of this discussion, assume creating characters with skill cap of 50%

1.  Skill category bonuses: Do they add on top of the skill cap or are they part of the skill cap?

2.  Using the assumption that the Base Chance for a skill simply gives a "bonus" of free points, so that it only costs, for example, 20 points to max First Aid at 50, how does one handle skills with variable Base Chance, specifically weapons.  Energy Pistols can be from 5% to 20% base chance, so does the character have to be capped at 50% including the base chance (and category bonus?) depending on the weapon they use?  Or in the case of weapons (which is really the only place this applies), does the character get to buy the skill up to Max Skill -5 (minimum base chance) or does their starting Max Skill depend on the weapon they use?   (NOTE: I'm just seeing some potential for even accidental min-maxing going on by buying up the skill using a lower Base weapon, then swapping out quickly to a higher base weapon, but given that this also affects skill increase rolls, it can be an issue.)

Thanks.

I suspect that no-one bothered to post as the subject doesn't have an official answer. If you are going to put a skill cap in place then it's down to the players and GM to agree on the cap and what it means.

What Nigel said.

My own advice would be rather than formulating a hard CAP (which as said is fraught with problems of definition), take a leaf out of Magic World's approach and define a maximum add: so  for example no one can add more than 30 points to a professional skill or 15 points to a personal Interest skill. Adjust values according to style of campaign.

It achieves what I think is the underlying aim (that people don't overload what they see as key skills to detriment of others, producing weirdly implausible characters), but is easier to implement. It doesn't impose a hard boundary, but there are few hard boundaries in the BRP skill system that have huge mechanical effects.

Cheers,

Nick

I think how a skill cap is implemented depends mostly on why you are implementing it and what you are trying to get from it. 

For example, if your goal is to keep the new characters at the same general skill ratings as existing characters then you'd want to set a cap at around the same skill % scores as the existing characters. In such a case you wouldn't want things like cat mods or such to add to that, since it would circumvent the purpose of using skill caps in the first place. 

I've never implemented a skill cap in my games, mostly because I've rarely had to deal with people bringing in experienced characters, and when I've had to, I haven't had to worry much about "one trick ponies" breaking the game. Then again, I'm the GM who let a PC bleed to death for lack of any first aid skill, so my players have gotten the idea that characters that have too narrow a skill focus have a lot of vulnerabilities. 

On 9/30/2017 at 4:39 PM, Algesan said:

Okay, maybe I missed this in the BRB, but I'm trying to work this since while I'm currently doing a familiarization run with converted characters, I plan on starting a new campaign with new characters later and this has been brought up.

The question is about skill percentage caps.  For purposes of this discussion, assume creating characters with skill cap of 50%

1.  Skill category bonuses: Do they add on top of the skill cap or are they part of the skill cap?

If you have someone with a base skill of 25% and a Bonus of 30% then you exceed the Skill Cap without spending any points.

So, I would assume the Skill cap ignores the Skill Category Bonus.

2.  Using the assumption that the Base Chance for a skill simply gives a "bonus" of free points, so that it only costs, for example, 20 points to max First Aid at 50, how does one handle skills with variable Base Chance, specifically weapons.  Energy Pistols can be from 5% to 20% base chance, so does the character have to be capped at 50% including the base chance (and category bonus?) depending on the weapon they use?  Or in the case of weapons (which is really the only place this applies), does the character get to buy the skill up to Max Skill -5 (minimum base chance) or does their starting Max Skill depend on the weapon they use?   (NOTE: I'm just seeing some potential for even accidental min-maxing going on by buying up the skill using a lower Base weapon, then swapping out quickly to a higher base weapon, but given that this also affects skill increase rolls, it can be an issue.)

You might be over-thinking this, to be honest.

I would just give all Energy Pistols the same base chance, to get around this.

Even if someone could do what you have suggested, good luck to them, it doesn't break the game.

• Like 1