Jump to content
Rob Helm

Dragonrise Aftermath in Sartar

Recommended Posts

I'm working on adventures that depend on events in Sartar between Dragonrise and the end of 1625. What happened then?

This is the period just before the start of the upcoming game Runequest: Roleplaying in Glorantha.  It must have been something between total bloodbath, and Lunars and sympathizers quietly slinking off. But how did it play out?

For example: the Colymar Tribe had a pro-Lunar King (Kangharl "Blackmor") that was eaten at Dragonrise. Who had he left in charge? How did the tribe find out he wouldn't be coming back? What happened then?

Rob

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Rob Helm said:

I'm working on adventures that depend on events in Sartar between Dragonrise and the end of 1625. What happened then?

This is the period just before the start of the upcoming game Runequest: Roleplaying in Glorantha.  It must have been something between total bloodbath, and Lunars and sympathizers quietly slinking off. But how did it play out?

For example: the Colymar Tribe had a pro-Lunar King (Kangharl "Blackmor") that was eaten at Dragonrise. Who had he left in charge? How did the tribe find out he wouldn't be coming back? What happened then?

Rob

 

Some of this gets covered in the GM's Scenario pack, but the short version is this. After the death of Broyan, Queen Leika returned to Western Sartar to foment rebellion. That proved unnecessary. Instead, Kangharl and most of his loyal retainers were devoured by the True Dragon, and Leika and her supporters were simply let into Clearwine Fort. An assembly of chiefs and priests acknowledged Leika as tribal king and assented to her council. The Lunar manors were destroyed by angry farmers, and in the confusion and turbulence, many old grievances were settled violently. Many of the clans resort to banditry and have been joined by other elements created by the collapse of Lunar authority - Tusk Riders, Lunar deserters, rebels with no home to return to, and other outlaws.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2018 at 4:50 PM, Rob Helm said:

I'm working on adventures that depend on events in Sartar between Dragonrise and the end of 1625. What happened then?

This is the period just before the start of the upcoming game Runequest: Roleplaying in Glorantha.  It must have been something between total bloodbath, and Lunars and sympathizers quietly slinking off. But how did it play out?

For example: the Colymar Tribe had a pro-Lunar King (Kangharl "Blackmor") that was eaten at Dragonrise. Who had he left in charge? How did the tribe find out he wouldn't be coming back? What happened then?

In our current campaign, the PCs brought back the Dragon, having freed it from the Chaos Void within the Crismon Bat. They also brought back Sartar and Tarkalor, installing them as King and Warlord of Sartar, but Mello yello is currently King of Dragon Pass, so I doubt this will be even close to canon. Basically the PCs have installed puppet kings in the Dragon Pass area and give them a good kicking if they interfere with the Harmony that they are creating in the region. 

I would expect the pro-Lunar clans to suddenly decide that being pro-Lunar is a bad idea, so they would chuck out their Lunar symapthisers, or those pro-Lunar clansmen would have a change of heart and say they were always Orlanthi but were trying to infiltrate the Lunars to undermine them and look how well they succeeded. When the Lunars come back, they will say how well they infiltrated the Orlanthi ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, soltakss said:

In our current campaign, the PCs brought back the Dragon, having freed it from the Chaos Void within the Crismon Bat. They also brought back Sartar and Tarkalor, installing them as King and Warlord of Sartar, but Mello yello is currently King of Dragon Pass, so I doubt this will be even close to canon. Basically the PCs have installed puppet kings in the Dragon Pass area and give them a good kicking if they interfere with the Harmony that they are creating in the region.

Heh you can say that again.  So Orlanthi would just lay down for a baboon KoDP?  And I suppose he married the FHQ too?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 1/13/2018 at 1:17 AM, Yelm's Light said:

So Orlanthi would just lay down for a baboon KoDP?

Yes, but Tarkalor and several others also entered the Contest to marry the FHQ and lost to Mello, so mythically they were trumped. At the moment, the River Voices have put a Harmony spell over Prax and Dragon Pass, binding them all into a single unit of Harmony. All the clans agreed to join, when the River Voices kicked the Lunars out of Prax, Dragon Pass and The Holy Country, then established Harmony across the region through a number of HeroQuests and Rituals. They have installed mythic rulers of the areas, Tada for Prax, Sartar for Sartar, the Only Old One for the Holy Country and so on, but they are all subservient to the River Voices, as they brought those demigods back. 

On 1/13/2018 at 1:17 AM, Yelm's Light said:

And I suppose he married the FHQ too?

Yes, he won the contest to marry the FHQ, ably assisted by his Companions. He was, of course, helped by the fact that Yelm adopted him as a son, allowing beast men following the Mello Yello cult to join Solar cults such as Yelmalio, in essence Mello Yello became a subcult of various Solar cults, Beast men would join the Mello Yello subcult and be part of the main cult.

 

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:50 AM, Rob Helm said:

I'm working on adventures that depend on events in Sartar between Dragonrise and the end of 1625. What happened then?

Some of what happened is also covered in the Eleven Lights (see p.162)

Immediately after the Dragonrise in late Earthseason, "In Sartar, only the garrisons in the cities and forts remain now — and Jomes in Boldhome has fewer than 2000 men, most of his regiments are at quarter strength following the Battle of the Auroch Hills and the Dragonrise. These are too few to resist an uprising. Kallyr musters an army from the rebel forces across Sartar and whole tribes including the Culbrea. They march on and seize the city of Boldhome from its leaderless and under strength garrison. The Cinsina and other tribes of the Confederation rise to overthrow their local garrisons, and join with Kallyr to take Jonstown."

Then in Darkseason, "King Pharandros of Tarsh reacts to Starbrow’s revolt by sending a Tarshite army to reinforce Lunar rule in Alda-Chur — Harvar Ironfist was killed in the Dragonrise. With the north secure, the Tarshite generals plan a counter-attack to bring Sartar back under their heel.  Kallyr Starbrow petitions the tribes to provide troops for the fight. She is only moderately successful, and an outnumbered, ragtag army marches to meet the Tarshites. They clash at Dangerford, and the rebels take the day through sheer inspiration. Following a meeting in Boldhome Kallyr, forges a new ring of Sartar and those present declare her Prince of Sartar."

So Liberation of Jonstown and Battle of Dangerford are the key events in the north of Sartar in this period, along with Tarshite occupation of Alda-Chur.

After the Battle of Dangerford, Kallyr returns to Boldhome to forge the new ring and prepare for her Lightbringer's Quest during Sacred Time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, soltakss said:

Yes, but Tarkalor and several others also entered the Contest to marry the FHQ and lost to Mello, so mythically they were trumped. At the moment, the River Voices have put a Harmony spell over Prax and Dragon Pass, binding them all into a single unit of Harmony. All the clans agreed to join, when the River Voices kicked the Lunars out of Prax, Dragon Pass and The Holy Country, then established Harmony across the region through a number of HeroQuests and Rituals. They have installed mythic rulers of the areas, Tada for Prax, Sartar for Sartar, the Only Old One for the Holy Country and so on, but they are all subservient to the River Voices, as they brought those demigods back. 

Yes, he won the contest to marry the FHQ, ably assisted by his Companions. He was, of course, helped by the fact that Yelm adopted him as a son, allowing beast men following the Mello Yello cult to join Solar cults such as Yelmalio, in essence Mello Yello became a subcult of various Solar cults, Beast men would join the Mello Yello subcult and be part of the main cult.

That's like electing Trump, only the baboon has better habits.

(Btw, it's Melo Yelo.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2018 at 1:28 PM, Yelm's Light said:

That's like electing Trump, only the baboon has better habits.

Exactly.

(Btw, it's Melo Yelo.)

He's King of Dragon Pass, he can spell it how he wants!

I always vary the spelling on purpose, no particular reason, just do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×