brp fantasy-rq, stormbringer, or other?

tired librarian

Hit locations are optional unfortunately, so does choseing to play with hit locations will have to calculate those for all enemies in future supplements probably. It's more like Stormbringer where locations are only rolled on a major hit. The magic systems will be psionics from elfquest, summonings from stormbringer & magic spells from magic world. They are not supposed to be used in the same setting though.

Cheers,

Sverre.

Hit locations are optional unfortunately, so does choseing to play with hit locations will have to calculate those for all enemies in future supplements probably.

Only those supplements that choose NOT to use that optional rule though... :D

It's more like Stormbringer where locations are only rolled on a major hit. The magic systems will be psionics from elfquest, summonings from stormbringer & magic spells from magic world. They are not supposed to be used in the same setting though.

Err, IIRC the playtest manuscript had the SPELLS and brief notes on summoning from Stormbringer 5, the Magic from Magic World, A Psychic Powers system elaborated from ElfQuest, a mutations system elaborated from Hawkmoon and a Super Powers system, um, "rationalised" from Super World. And IIRC there were notes on how one as a GM MIGHT mix them (the "Opposed Powers of Different Types" section).

I certainly don't recall seeing any HUGE issues with using Sorcery and Magic (would still rather it was called Wizardry though... :D ) as alternative paths for magicians, and I think you could probably also have Mutation and Psychics in the same setting (Psychics might make life a bit awkward though). MY intuition is that the only one that won't "play nice" with the others is the Super Powers section, simply because it includes powers that duplicate their effects and role of the other powers, so the overlap would just be a mess.

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

okay, feeling slightly more coherent now.

my group's choice for fantasy gaming is WFRP 1st ed. while i think it's great, i have the urge to do something brp-esque. i have MRQ & the companion. i've run CoC (3rd ed.) with them before, so they're familiar with the mechanics. i'm wondering if i should go ahead with MRQ, or wait until BRP comes out and go from there.

the rune magic system is okay; it doesn't really grab me, though. the shamanism thing seems like it would be neat, but i don't have the gloranthan book with the rules for it (cults 1? 2? :confused: )

the campaign style would be a pre-history europe kind of thing, inspired by slaine & conan. the "locations only rolled with major hits" is similar enough to WFRP that my group should have no problem.

i don't get the "skills over 100%" thing, having only played CoC, mechanically speaking. maybe through actual play it would make sense?

It is better to have loafed and lost than never to have loafed at all.

-James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

my group's choice for fantasy gaming is WFRP 1st ed. while i think it's great, i have the urge to do something brp-esque. i have MRQ & the companion. i've run CoC (3rd ed.) with them before, so they're familiar with the mechanics. i'm wondering if i should go ahead with MRQ, or wait until BRP comes out and go from there.

You should wait until BRP comes out of course! ;)

Did you really expect a different answer from this board?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

You could have a go with RQM and see how it goes, then see what D100 is like and see how that goes.

I think you'll find D100 simpler in its basics, but perhaps the many optional rules might be a bit complicated.

the rune magic system is okay; it doesn't really grab me, though. the shamanism thing seems like it would be neat, but i don't have the gloranthan book with the rules for it (cults 1? 2? :confused: )

I wouldn't buy the rest of the Gloranthan material unless you want to play in a Second Age RQM Gloranthan campaign. They are quite expensive and do have problems.

the campaign style would be a pre-history europe kind of thing, inspired by slaine & conan. the "locations only rolled with major hits" is similar enough to WFRP that my group should have no problem.

Prehistoric Europe makes a good campaign. I'm not that keen on Slaine, though, personally.

Hit Locations are really easy to use, they become second nature after a while and don't slow the game down at all.

i don't get the "skills over 100%" thing, having only played CoC, mechanically speaking. maybe through actual play it would make sense?

I think it comes from the question "Where do I go now?" once you've reached 100%. Are there degrees of mastery? Is every very skilled person at the same skill level (100%)?

Skills over 100% reflect that one master might be a lot better than another and also to determine relative skill levels of masters of different levels of ability.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here