Any News on Rome?

Leofwyn

Title says it all, do we have any news on when this could see publicaton?

I honestly wish I knew! The manuscript was submitted to Lynn on the 4th of May, and Dustin sent me a confirmation of its receipt on the 21st. Since then its been silent running. I had a quick chat with Charlie at Continuum, and it seems that Chaosium is awash with more raw BRP material than they can immediately handle.

A few things may be delaying its publication. Firstly, its a seriously big supplement packed to the brim with history, culture and Latin, which makes it a significant (and possibly daunting) project for any editor. Secondly, since it was intended to be a proper book, rather than a straight-to-print monograph, it was submitted in raw text with no artwork (although the maps were all done and included) - necessitating further effort by a layout editor. Thirdly, the poll on the Chaosium website, showed that historical supplements are lagging behind other genres, so they may be focusing their efforts on publishing more popular settings - and wisely so!

In conclusion, I wouldn't hold your breath! :)

I had a quick chat with Charlie at Continuum, and it seems that Chaosium is awash with more raw BRP material than they can immediately handle.

While that is good in a way, I hope they get their printers running soon. So far we have no printed supplement for BRP after the main book, and Rome does sound like a cool setting.

Secondly, since it was intended to be a proper book, rather than a straight-to-print monograph, it was submitted in raw text with no artwork (although the maps were all done and included) - necessitating further effort by a layout editor.

Nice!

Thirdly, the poll on the Chaosium website, showed that historical supplements are lagging behind other genres, so they may be focusing their efforts on publishing more popular settings - and wisely so!

Time to vote again then! :thumb:

:beetle:

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

It would be a shame if they delayed publishing something that was ready except for the artwork in favour of something that was still a pipedream just because people wanted more of the pipedream's genre.

People tend to buy what has been published. Sure, some people perhaps wouldn't buy a historical supplement, but a lot of fans would.

If Rome is struggling, what does that mean for Iceland? What about the other supplements? Are we going to see any printed supplements in the near future?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

It would be a shame if they delayed publishing something that was ready except for the artwork in favour of something that was still a pipedream just because people wanted more of the pipedream's genre.

Please understand that this is only a supposition. I might be completely wrong about what drives the supplement printing priority. Rome may have been placed on hold, because my manuscript was too big, too boring or just bloody awful! ;)

And they still seem to have an awefull lots of problems with their printers, not having been able to print berlin '61 and ashes to ashes in hardcopy yet. Also, with Lynn disappearing from the company, they do lack some manpower.

:beetle:

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.