New to Glorantha

RebelScum88

Hello all, 

I picked up KoDP on GOG a few years ago, and I fell in love with the setting and mythology of Glorantha. Its one of my favorite games. I recently discovered that there was more to the universe, and eventually my search brought me here. So, I was wondering what's a good way to a newbie to immerse themselves more in the world and play with other folks? 

• Like 3

Well, this is a great time to get into Glorantha. With a new Runequest edition coming up, with a slew of supporting products, things are looking good. We should be getting a PDF for it relatively soon-ish, with the books and maybe more to come later this year. Meanwhile, the Glorantha Sourcebook - a systemless book - just came out on PDF and is a great further intro into the world.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RebelScum88 said:

I was wondering what's a good way to a newbie to immerse themselves more in the world

If you haven't found it yet - 

Prince of Sartar - Official Free Webcomic - http://www.princeofsartar.com 119 Pages of pure Glorantha gold.

Glorantha.com - loads of (official) info here to browse.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

How familiar are you with tabletop RPG's?  Because you have several to choose from...

*** RuneQuest Classic - Oldschool 1978 RPG, recently returned to print via Kickstarter.  Minimalist setting-info, but what there is, is quite evocative.  As part of this...

• Various supplements from the era, returned to print as Stretch Goals of the same KS under the product line "Runequest Classics" (the last few products still in final stages of fulfillment).
  • The "Gloranthan Classics" line, a prior (pre-KS) effort to return the same products to print; these are heavy to collected products, i.e. the "RQ Classic" products "Cults of Prax" plus "Cluts of Terror" and a few other snippets are mostly collected under one volume of the "Gloranthan Classics" as the "Cult Compendium."

*** HeroQuest Glorantha - HQ is a modern "narrative" style RPG.  There are both "generic" rulesets (1e,2e) and a specific "HQ Glorantha"  book, widely regarded as excellent for setting-info.  Quite a few very-good supplements, also heavy to solid setting-info.

*** 13thAge in Glorantha aka "13G" a new (recently KS'ed, still PDF-only as they finish readying for the print-run) game in the "13thAge" game-line, itself a d20-variant.

A couple of systemless products:

• the aforementioned Gloranthan Sourcebook (produced under the same KS project as 13G)
  • The massive, epic, encyclopedic Guide to Glorantha, 2 oversized volumes in slipcase set

There is also the upcoming NEW version of RuneQuest, based (on those old 1978 rules but updated).  Not even available in PDF or pre-order YET, but so close we fans can SMELL it coming...

For some idea of what to expect from the new rules

Edited by g33k
  • Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

I've played some DnD in the past, and done more narrative driven rpgs as one shots. So i have a general idea of what play is like. I've played a good bit of KoDP, so I'm reasonably familiar with the Orlanthi culture, even if the time period isn't the same as when the RPG is set. 

• 3 weeks later...

I may sound terribly, awfully rude, but as someone who spent some time trying to traverse Glorantha in relatively recent years, honestly? I recommend against trying to go straight at the Glorantha Sourcebook. Guide to Glorantha is a little better but obscenely long. The sourcebook especially seems to turnoff people I have try and read it and honestly its a little frustrating of a read in general. (If you've ever read the Something Awful review of it on F.A.T.A.L. And Friends, its a good illustration of why.) Basically, the Guide and Sourcebook both feel more like interesting sources for people who know Glorantha and a really bad entry-point to it.

Its like picking someone up who's never heard of Star Wars, and throwing them at Wookiepedia. Some people like to do that, but others may be a little confused when they read about Green furred ninja bunnies and oddly overpowered garbage collecting squirrels in space.

As far as things that are actually obtainable outside scans floating around the Internet or used book stores: The Heroquest books are good, readable, and feel like they were designed in a way that attempts to instruct people who haven't lived Glorantha for 30+ years on the setting and themes. They're narrative systems and not my personal cup of tea, but the books are very worth reading. Otherwise, the Runequest Classic books are a great place to go. (Cults of Terror/Cults of Prax are great.) Though I recommend not trying to run a RQ2 game at any point. The system's fundamentals are fantastic... But its till a book from 1980. Thats five years before Unearthed Arcana let the AD&D world know that mimicking working a cigarette lighter with your thumb and uttering the magic phrase 'Zippo' is how mages light fires. And while one of the best-aged products of its era, its a system that everyone houseruled back when it was in its prime and in my experience, even people who want to play in Glorantha tend to grit their teeth, clench their hands into fists, and scream at the heavens when you start having to patchwork systems together too extensively. Gamers expectations have changed over the last 40 years.

Or just do like me and watch your email subscription box daily with lust in your heart and hunger in your eyes, waiting for RQG to launch, salivating with want and need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice, I actually did get the sourcebook, and I've enjoyed reading it. I like doing deep dives into lore, and I agree that it's not the easiest thing to read, but I'm not too bothered:)  I will take your suggestions to heart, and look for some of the older material. And I'm very excited that the new system is out!!! 

Just now, RebelScum88 said:

Thanks for the advice, I actually did get the sourcebook, and I've enjoyed reading it. I like doing deep dives into lore, and I agree that it's not the easiest thing to read, but I'm not too bothered:)  I will take your suggestions to heart, and look for some of the older material. And I'm very excited that the new system is out!!! 

I'd also strongly recommend the new RuneQuest which is now available. The mechanics are strongly rooted in the setting and really help the player understand the setting through the game.

• Like 4