Happy Independence Day 2018

I don't think that if the Brits had remained in charge of the colony that you would find your gaming freedoms restricted today, but Happy Independence anyway! 

Good to see some national pride; there are lots of reasons for you to be proud of your country. Enjoy those 4th July celebrations! 😁

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Independence didn't just result in political freedom but a different kind of creativity and a spirit of enterprise.  The Brits gave us King Arthur, Robin Hood, Mary Poppins, Doctor Doolittle, Dracula and Frankenstein, Sweeney Todd.  American creativity turned them all into big, colorful musicals.  (See the Chicken Soup thread on whether that was a good thing.)  In the same way, the Brits gave us Little Wars and Tolkien.  It took American nerds to combine them with funky dice and expect people to pay cash for the results.

The Brits gave us Gilbert and Sullivan.  The Americans gave us ... Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber (well, you can't win them all).

1 hour ago, Nick J. said:

H.P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard and Clark Ashton Smith would like a word . . .

I utterly agree.  Each of them deserves his shot at being the next big Disney musical.  I mean, that Burroughs guy got both an action movie and an animated musical.  No fair!

"Each time you reach out your tentacle, I must dive into my pentacle.  Why must my lifetime be elder-itch, 'Cuz Grandpa chased down a witch?"

i can hear it!  Send me a proposal, Sweetheart, and I'll have my people do lunch with your people.

Edited by seneschal

On 7/4/2018 at 6:58 AM, Mankcam said:

I don't think that if the Brits had remained in charge of the colony that you would find your gaming freedoms restricted today, but Happy Independence anyway! 

Good to see some national pride; there are lots of reasons for you to be proud of your country. Enjoy those 4th July celebrations! 😁

I haven't been particularly proud of my country since at least Nov. 9, 2016.  Quite the opposite, to be frank.

And on a related note, RPGNow is running a promotion to fundraise for RAICES, a private organization trying to reunite detained immigrant children with their families.  A $30 donation will net you something like $700 in free PDFs.

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2018 at 2:01 PM, Yelm's Light said:

I haven't been particularly proud of my country since at least Nov. 9, 2016.  Quite the opposite, to be frank.

No one is proud of everything that happens in their country, or what shady deals happen behind the scenes, or what goose has got what job 😁

Not weighing in too much on what likely is a sensitive matter in the States, but whoever sits in the big chair doesn't define an entire nation, and it's only temporary anyway.

I think it's the notion of national self-pride that counts; it's a concept that has held generations together. Not in an inclusion/exclusion way either, but in a thankful dignified way.

I'm proud of my little seat in the sun down here, and I would like to think that others across the pond feel likewise about their own patch. 

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

On 7/5/2018 at 4:40 AM, seneschal said:

I utterly agree.  Each of them deserves his shot at being the next big Disney musical.  I mean, that Burroughs guy got both an action movie and an animated musical.  No fair!

"Each time you reach out your tentacle, I must dive into my pentacle.  Why must my lifetime be elder-itch, 'Cuz Grandpa chased down a witch?"

i can hear it!  Send me a proposal, Sweetheart, and I'll have my people do lunch with your people.

To be fair, Lovecraft has got a musical, 'A Shoggoth On The Roof" 😁

(PS: sorry about the double post - I could not work out a way to delete the second one...so you'll just have to take more SANITY loss if you listen to it!)

Edited by Mankcam

Please guys - make it private. No matter which side you’re on you’re likely going to upset people. One of the goals of this site is to be non political.

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

• MOB locked this topic

[Mod Hat on: various posts hidden - Melo Yelo might rightfully be mocked as an "mango-hued shitgibbon" by other Gloranthans, but let's keep acrimonious contemporary RW politics out of BRP Central as much as possible, even in this forum.]

Edited by MOB