Renaissance/Age of explorationw Era game

caden_varn

I'm looking to run an age of exploration game - is there a good  BRP game or supplement that covers this?

It needs to have musket-level firearms & cannons, and a less armoured feel to work well - 3 musketeers/pirates of the caribbean style. Not worried about magic, so long as it is not crucial to the setting.

Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DavetheLost said:

Pirates & Dragons from Cakebread and Walton ticks a lot of your boxes. It does feature magic and fantasy elements pretty heavily though.

Yeah, take the core "Renaissance" game (for which P&D is an offshoot (unless you accidentaly grab the OneDice edition of the setting)); borrow from P&D as needed; and maybe bits of MRQ Pirates and/or Chaosium BloodTide.

Of possible interest:  Mythras' "Mythic Constantinople" setting, 1450ish iirc.  Very city-centric & with lots of magic & mythical-beasties built-in; but a patron-city back in Europe is relevant, and they have a VERY nice map-pack you could use.

C'es ne pas un .sig

Thanks for all the responses. I have picked up Bloodtide, which seems pretty good for what I want (more horror-themed). But it really could have done with some proof-reding (I'd say better proof-readingexcept I cannot believe it had any. The table of contents if in alphabetic instead of page number order - I mean come on! That is simply awful. And what do game companies have against including indices!. I won;t get started on the missing rules as other threads cover this).

I like the look of Mythras, so I'll probably try to pick that up if I can find it in the UK in physical form, and look at the Constantinople book, but my setting is exploration of ther New World, so probably not ideal for this game, but for spoudns good for doing an earlier mediaeval game which I expect to get round to at some point.

4 hours ago, caden_varn said:

I like the look of Mythras, so I'll probably try to pick that up if I can find it in the UK in physical form, and look at the Constantinople book, but my setting is exploration of ther New World, so probably not ideal for this game, but for spoudns good for doing an earlier mediaeval game which I expect to get round to at some point.

You can order direct from The Design Mechanism.  I expect you can get their stuff via your FLGS; I'm sure TDM'd want to address the issue if you asked and could not!

While your game is New-World-Centric "Age of Exploration," don't forget the Patron expects treasures & reports & such flowing back to them, which is why I suggested having at least one city in Europe, where you return occasionally.

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, caden_varn said:

For Mythras print books in the UK, go to http://www.aeongamespublishing.co.uk/.  I’ve used them a couple of times, and they seem a pretty good bunch.  If you want PDF-only products (or just PDFs), then you’ll need to go to The Design Mechanism’s website.

if you buy a print book from Aeon Games, then you get the PDF free.  Which is nice.

Edited by Malc
Corrected misleading phrasing