Sea gods worships in Umathela

Manu

Back with my Umathela questions...

In the GoG, in Umathela, they say that the main Gods are the Invisible God and Orlanthi pantheon. But there is a lot of people living by the sea. And I'm always puzzled not to see more Sea God worshiped, as a lot of people are living thanks to the sea (fishing, sailing, ...). I would have imagined that the seamen would worship heavily sea Gods.

Terthinus the Voice of the Deep, a Malasp demigod, rules the Dashomo sea and demands tribute from everyone. This would likely curb any triolini influence, though some fishermen might honour Pelaskos. I'd guess too that a history of God Learner and Vadeli rule would also extinguish other forms of worship particularly along the coast where their influence would be strongest.

Fisherfolk usually worship or at least propitiate Triolina. Annilla worship or propitiation is common in tidal areas, too. The entity of the local water, Dashomo, is likely to receive some attention, too.

The coastal folk are probably 70% Malkioni, 30% Orlanthi. The Malkioni may practice some degree of henotheism towards their occupations, at least in propitiations, while Orlanthi may either fight the sea to get by or join sea cults. There might be Diroti (fisherfolk) among the "Orlanthi" immigrants.

Terthinus doesn't appear like he accepts human initiates. He demands tribute and magic (propitiation), and he organizes the local Malasp to enforce his rule.

Scavenging the tidal zone is hazardous if an unfriendly sea can send in "tidal" waves that have nothing to do at all with the Blue Moon tides but which are basically ginormous water elementals.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

the twins Pelaskos and Poverri. Pelaskos used a boat, Clever Eyes, and a net to fish the sea, while Poverri remains close to shore and uses a spear and fishing line. 

Poverri is married to Natelna, daughter of Ernalda, while Pelaskos is married to a sea demon's daughter, Illuriad, who nags him incessantly. 

Magasta is also frequently worshipped by sea fishermen.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Manu said:

About the fishermen : The farmers have Barntar as God, what do the fishermen have? Is there a God of the fishermen in the Orlanthi Pantheon?

The Heortlings know Poverri for sweet water (and some coastal) fishing, and Pelaskos for coastal and open seas fishing. There is also Wild Orlanth (Varanorlanth) who once was sent off a hunt that distracted him from his true purpose (catching up with the Lady of the Wild) so that he went fishing with the trophies he got from overcoming her four beast guardians. Check Thunder Rebels for Poverri and Varanorlanth and Storm Tribe for Pelaskos. RuneQuest Companion (for Chaosium RQ2) tells about the importance of Diros to the Choralinthor fisherfolk, and this "Diroti" moniker gets applied to all kinds of human fisherfolk.

The fisherfolk of the Wenelian Isles are survivors of the drowning of Slontos who are fairly similar to the Choralinthor Pelaskites, who come in all shades from blending with the other coastal dwellers. Given that the Orlanthi settlers were taken by Waertagi from Slontos/western Maniria (long before the 1050 drowning and Veskarthan's devastation), there is a great likelihood that there were some boat people among those firstcomers.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, Manu said:

Back with my Umathela questions...

In the GoG, in Umathela, they say that the main Gods are the Invisible God and Orlanthi pantheon. But there is a lot of people living by the sea. And I'm always puzzled not to see more Sea God worshiped, as a lot of people are living thanks to the sea (fishing, sailing, ...). I would have imagined that the seamen would worship heavily sea Gods.

There is the Closing where the Sea was a malign hostile force in which dwelt monsters.  Nobody would have worshipped the Sea positively then and would have offered dread sacrifices in a propitiatory fashion.  What people would have worshipped are river gods.

Even now with the opening, the sea would be a source of dread.  The nearest gods of the sea are the grim vengeful deities of the Malasp who are friendly to humans so they can plunder them later.  I don't think there would be a god of coastal fishers, rather any fishing would be carried out by the Vadeli who are fearless enough to do it (and pin the blame on others).  Towards the west, there would be Fonritan fisherman from Afadjann but they would operate with an atmosphere of mistrust as suspicion.

• Like 2