Call of Cthulhu the Video Game is now out in general release

MOB

I played it all the way through over Halloween.  It was the perfect Halloween game to play.  This game rocks.  I have some criticism but overall I give it an A.  Great story, incredibly immersive.  Fun to play.  If you loved Amnesia, you will be ecstatic with Call of Cthulu.  I'm not a big gamer, I'm a rpger, but I could not sit this game down. 

Set your light waaaayy down. When the game asks you to set it so the symbol on the left is barely visible, DO IT.  I've seen Youtube vids (for when I gave up on some sections of the game and needed help) and having too much light really detracts from this game.  This game is meant to be DARK.  It's creepy, it's scary, it is a dark tale and it has a dark atmosphere.

Turn of the lights in your room when you play.  I mean DARK.

The graphics are really good.  There are some glitches, and anyone who has played the game knows what specifically I'm talking about, but I still give this game a B+ on graphics.  The art gallery is especially beautiful to behold

Speaking of the art gallery, the cut scenes are really well done and the art gallery cut scene is - IMHO - a classic video game moment.  Like the shower scene from Psycho or Jack Nicholson's "Here's Johnny!" moment in The Shining.  That should go down as one of the great cut scenes in gaming history.  If you want a friend to buy this game, show them that cut scene.  But don't, because you won't want to spoil it for them.

There are, however, some nits I'd like to pick with it:

It's supposedly using Chaosiums game system.  This can't possibly be true.  I never failed a roll.  I can only assume that the skill %'s constituted level of success because there was never once a failure to succeed to some degree.  Only Spot Hidden seemed to have a fail option and that must have been much less than the actual chance to fail because I sank no experience into Spot Hidden and still found most things.  That did not detract from the game one bit whatsoever and I would bet money that if they DID base the system on Chaosiums rpg, with only your personal PC, you couldn't complete the story, which would have detracted from the game.  So I'm glad they lied, but they shouldn't falsely advertise to begin with.

My other nit to pick was a bit more substantial.  The game had many strategies you needed to employ at different times throughout the adventure and sometimes knowing when to abandon the usual strategy for another was critical to finishing a task.  But there were a couple of times where there was no strategy and you simply had to memorize a set pattern of moves to get through that section.   Both of those times, you felt like you were playing "Dragons Lair" that old video game that sucked up quarters from the early 80's.  I would suggest the game designers avoid that like the plague next time as those were definitely contributed to game fatigue.

Also, either I didn't find the command or they didn't have one, but sitting through a cut scene every time you happen to restart right after one is a bit annoying - except for the art gallery cut scene which just never gets old.  They should have allowed you to skip cut scenes in those cases. 

And my final nit is that there weren't more story paths.   There are basically two.  I wish the choices I made in the game had lead to more variable outcomes down the road.  

EDIT:  Having played it all the way through twice now in less than a week, I discovered that there is a third ending possible.  That leaves the door open to possibly even more endings that I have yet to unlock.  So my final nit just got unpicked.

But the Number One reason you need to buy this game is you get to hear them say:  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn".

Cthulu.jpg

Edited by Pentallion
  • Like 3

Here is what some reviewers are saying about the game, which is the official video game version of Chaosium's classic tabletop RPG.

"An intensely Lovecraftian experience, pregnant with atmospheric dread"—iHorror.

"Its mystery comes across as a carefully crafted concoction of the most noxious and odious elements of several stories, and nails the tone of a slow descent into madness… a compelling, unnverving take on Lovecraft mythos"—The Daily Dot.

"Call of Cthulhu is a slow burn horror/detective RPG. There isn’t a horde of monsters or jumpscares interrupting the gameplay every couple minutes. No, instead it relies on atmosphere and intrigue to form a compelling narrative that had me mesmerized like the call of a particular cosmic horror… a thrilling experience from start to end."—Gaming Trend.

"One of the finest cosmic horror experiences in modern gaming. A mind-shattering good time. 8.6/10."—IGN.

"Frequently unsettling, occasionally horrifying and always engaging."—Gamespew.

"An essential experience for fans of Lovecraftian horror."—2 minute video review by Gameumentary (YouTube).

"Full of tense thriller moments and exciting sequences truly heightened by the excellent voice acting and storytelling which any fan of the Cthulhu mythos would love to be a part of. It is safe to say we finally have a really good Cthulhu based game after a good while and I cannot wait to see what Cyanide does next. 8.5/10."—Push Start Play.

"…a truly mesmerizing adaption of H.P. Lovecraft’s cosmic horror tales and it does incredibly well to create the exact unique, eerie and foreboding atmosphere that those tales are so famous for."—Impulse Gamer.

"Call of Cthulhu: finally Lovecraft done right."—video review by digitallydownloaded.net (YouTube).

"Call of Cthulhu is such a dark game that if you turned off the lights while playing it, you might get sucked into the void. 80%."—Gamer’s Temple.

"An intriguing descent into madness destined to become a cult hit."—The Game Fanatics.

"The story is incredibly engaging. From the moment it started, whether it was the story or the graphics, I was completely hooked until the very end… even if you aren’t versed in the ways of H.P. Lovecraft, the Call of Cthulhu will definitely catch you and you will be powerless against it. "—1428elm.com.

"Turn down the lights, pour yourself a measure of laudanum, and settle in for a solid tale of intrigue and insanity well-rooted in Lovecraft’s lore."—Jump Dash Roll.

"Call of Cthulhu blew my expectations out of the water… What I’m trying to say is I’m impressed, which doesn’t happen that often."—The Mentalic.

Gooses bumped. 8/10."—Indian Noob.

"A must-play terror: Call of Cthulhu is easily one of the best horror games of recent years. 4.5/5" – Screenrant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merudo said:

That's a bit selective, now is it?

Yes it is. Deliberately so. As the post says, "Here is what some reviewers are saying about the game".

There are other reviewers out there that have given less favourable or even negative reviews, as is their right to do so. They are not getting aggregated and shared here though.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 2

Here are some more recent reviews of Call of Cthulhu that focus on how the video game is inspired by and emulates the essence of the Call of Cthulhu tabletop RPG:

"4/5. Call of Cthulhu immediately earns points for shelving horror tropes in favor of focusing on the foreboding atmosphere and slow-burn scares of its source material. Inspired more by the pen-and-paper role-playing game of the same name than H.P. Lovecraft's seminal short story, it ambitiously – almost stubbornly – avoids the shock-value gore, jump scares, and virally-infected freaks that have come to define the genre in recent years… Call of Cthulhu’s gameplay offers a surprisingly fresh take on the fright-filled genre." —Empire

"8.8/10. A brilliant game inspired by the classic H.P. Lovecraft stories and 1981 tabletop game... a truly horrific and disturbing first-person RPG adventure."—Gamepitt.co.uk.

"Interesting take on the Call of Cthulhu pen and paper RPG… if you like first-person exploration games, a dark atmosphere, and the Cthulhu mythos, then you’re going to have a good time playing Call of Cthulhu on PS4. 8/10."—PS4blog.net.

"One of the best horror games in 2018. …a great adaptation of the classic pen & paper version of the game."—The Gaming Buddha.

"Chaosium's unhallowed tabletop RPG gets a proper video game representation that nails the feel of a pen and paper campaign... the official video game version of Chaosium's classic tabletop RPG is a worthy successor to the name."—gameskinny.com.

"Two Thumbs Up! Altogether, a classic Call of Cthulhu experience ...encapsulated in this video game is the essence of the tabletop game."—Microphones of Madness (podcast).

"Evocative of a ‘choose your own adventure’ story and unlike conventional RPGs, Call of Cthulhu is refreshing amidst a sea of flat and disappointing Lovecraftian adaptations. This is because Cyanide Studios and Focus Home Interactive based the game on the already adapted and successful pen and paper RPG, as opposed to directly replicating H.P. Lovecraft’s original mind-bending short story… The overall story and eerie atmosphere in Call of Cthulhu is executed incredibly well. Just don’t expect to run in guns blazing because this is a game that requires less firepower and more brainpower."—gamebyte.com.

"Call of Cthulhu is an investigative thriller at its core… Just like the Call of Cthulhu Tabletop RPG, you can find a different way to do something. 8/10."—Gamespace.

"Call of Cthulhu, developed by Cyanide Studio, has the advantage of actually being an adaptation of the tabletop roleplaying game of the same name, rather than a direct adaptation of any of Lovecraft's works… the game takes satisfying twists as the story unfolds, and even a seasoned Lovecraft fan won't always feel sure of where the story is going. Cults, insane asylums, mutations, invisible monsters, and sinister paintings all play significant roles in the story, and those who are more familiar with the Mythos will appreciate all the references, big and small."—Game Crate.

"At the end of the day, Call of Cthulhu the game is an excellent adaptation of Lovecraft’s Mythos & the Chaosium Rules, and anyone who is in love with these two things should have an excellent time with this game."—Terminally Nerdy.

CALL OF CTHULHU the video game has now been out for a couple of weeks. Here are some more reviews we like!

"4/5. …among the very best Lovecraft-themed games I’ve played in terms of atmosphere, experience, and faithfulness to the spirit of the source."—H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society.

"4/5. The story is excellent, engrossing and tells a gripping yarn… a very solid, extremely entertaining game that I loved."—The Xbox Hub.

"9/10. Being a diehard fan of Lovecraft´s work, this game definitely gave me an extra pleasure… it is a perfect introduction to what is coming if you follow this path of reading, playing the board games or any other Lovecraft stuff."—Comics Buzz.

"8/10. Call of Cthulhu has a whale’s belly full of atmosphere. It’s dark, sometimes disorientating and very faithful to Lovecraft’s idea of reality and insanity being sometimes one and the same. Terrific."—Punk & Lizard.

"8.5/10. The entire experience is a love letter to one of the best American writers of the last two centuries and the weird, frightening worlds he created. …this is the Lovecraft game we’ve been waiting for."—Air Entertainment.

"8/10 - Call of Cthulhu is as gripping as it is atmospheric. Cyanide has delivered a truly horrific world and an incredible story that fans of the mythos will absolutely love."—SquareExo.

"80-85/100 - Call of Cthulhu provides hours of suspenseful narrative-driven gaming. If you’re a fan of Lovecraft then this is aimed squarely at you, so give it a go. If you’ve never delved into the world of Cthulhu or other Lovecraft stories, like myself, then I think this is a great taster and has certainly left me wanting more."—mygameslounge.com.

"8/10 – not your typical horror experience… Call of Cthulhu is a slow burner. There is a constant build-up of dread and a general foreboding atmosphere all wrapped up in an unsettling tone that keeps you guessing to what is actually happening."— xblgamerhub.com.

"4/5 - a creepy mystery that will mess with your head and rattle your nerves."—Mirror.

"4/5 …a thrilling ride through and through."—Windows Central.

"4/5. Fans of Lovecraft and the horror writers, films, and games he inspired can be an obsessive lot – and I should know, as I’ve been fascinated by this stuff since I was a teenager – and Call of Cthulhu has plenty to keep them happy."—indiegamerreview.com.

"4 stars out of 5 - Call of Cthulhu proves that Lovecraftian horror is still alive, as the role-playing game has players investigate mysterious events on their own terms through an interactive adventure. The story is creepy, unsettling, and fascinating to the point that it sucks you in and pulls you under. Despite some minor gameplay and design hiccups, Call of Cthulhu is an atmospheric mystery game worthy of H.P. Lovecraft himself.—The Outerhaven.

"4/5. Genuinely fun to play… an effective horror yarn about the world-rending terror of the Great Old Ones that would make H.P. Lovecraft proud."—adventuregamers.com.

"4.5/5. The game is amazing! The story is intriguing and keeps you wanting to play. The atmosphere is pure Lovecraft. The music makes the mood perfectly, the sound effects add the tension."—Horror Fuel.

https://www.chaosium.com/blogunnatural-selections-13-more-reviews-of-call-of-cthulhu-the-official-video-game

• 2 weeks later...

Shirley Curry is the 82 old grandma and Internet phenomenon who has picked up hundreds of thousands of subscribers while playing Skyrim on YouTube. Shirley's recently started playing Call of Cthulhu...

Here's Shirley doing well in Skyrim:

lrgaadzk3t3z.jpg.5fc3d53902a082ca4990a1fd219505ac.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
And CALL OF CTHULHU the Official Video Game is 37% off in Playstation Europe's January Sale! Sale runs until January 19th.

9.1/10 "…amazingly fun to play, and absolutely worthy of picking up."—3rd Strike.
"…probably the best horror experience this year."—gameslife.gr

CALL OF CTHULHU the Official Video Game was a Steam best seller on release, and is now on special on Steam at 20% off. Also 37% off on Playstation Europe. Details plus some new reviews at the link:

https://www.chaosium.com/blogunnatural-selections-17-call-of-cthulhu-the-official-video-game-on-special-at-steam

119114766_CoCBestSelleronSteam2018Star.png.605f1f09f90f1a8ad75aff700fbd2770.png

Edited by MOB

• 2 weeks later...

Call of Cthulhu the Official Video Game now has a Fandom Wikia, with community-created pages about the game, its setting, and its characters; plus it has featured in some reviewers' retrospectives for 2018 which we liked:

https://www.chaosium.com/blogunnatural-selections-18-call-of-cthulhu-video-game-fan-wiki-and-some-2018-retrospective-reviews

506659080_CallofCthulhuWikia.png.cd12f36c61d198cad9a36a3a12b29d2d.png

• 4 weeks later...
terminallynerdy.com says Call of Cthulhu the Official Video Game is "The best representation of the Tabletop RPG Call of Cthulhu rules I have ever seen." And it's currently 25% off on Steam (until Feb 11).

More details and new reviews we like here:

https://www.chaosium.com/blogunnatural-selections-20-call-of-cthulhu-the-video-game-is-25-off-on-steam-until-feb-11

1367203693_ScreenShot2019-02-06at8_28_39pm.png.35fcfbaf52a9b271bed476a07dcb30e0.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...