Will it work with RQ III?

AceDashDog

If you still have RQ3 Vikings, you should be able do it. There are a few new skills, but the book explains them. BRP doesn't use Strike Ranks, so just use Vikings. Have look at Pedro's character sheet, it should help. Pedro is here on BRP he might be able to offer some advice @PZiviani.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Yeah, it should work okay. You might have to adjust the magic a bit, and maybe go over the prewritten scenarios and look for any obstacles such as resistance scores, and covert them to Mythras game mechanics. But most of it you can convert on the fly. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

14 hours ago, AceDashDog said:

Thanks all. I note some skill category modifiers are different; are theybthe same as Mythras?

There aren't category modifiers in Mythras.

My guess is the names are those from the skill modifiers option in BRP Big Yellow Book from Chaosium.

7 hours ago, Mugen said:

Yeah, and not skill bases either. Each skill get's it own formula. For example, Ride% = DEX+POW 

AceDashDog, are you going to run it under RQ3 and incorporate bits from Mythic Iceland, or run Mythic Iceland and incorporate bits from RQ3? 

On 12/5/2018 at 10:06 PM, AceDashDog said:

Probably run it under RQIII, unless it connects to RQG - though I've not used that yet

I see no reason why it would not work with RQG.

As a matter of fact, I think RQG runic affinities would be a nice addition to a Mythic Iceland game, even though you'd need to adapt it to Futhark runes.

5 hours ago, Mugen said:

I see no reason why it would not work with RQG.[/quote]

I certainly should work with RQG. The question though is why do it? It already works fine with RQ3, what would be the advantages to converting it over to RQG? Most of the new bits in RQG are Glorantha specific, or backwards compatible to RQ3-saving the GM the effort of recalculating hit points, lowering armor values, combining skills all that for the NPCs in the prewritten scenarios. . 

5 hours ago, Mugen said:

As a matter of fact, I think RQG runic affinities would be a nice addition to a Mythic Iceland game, even though you'd need to adapt it to Futhark runes.

Probably an overhaul. Most of the Furthark are not in in opposition to one another, and most have different meanings than their RQG counterparts. An overhaul could be done, but a GM would need to considered the pros and cons, and how much magic was going to be in the campaign. If a GM wanted to add personality traits and passions, they could port those over to RQ3 easy enough.

I don't see much reason to adapt it to RQG. Now if/when the new RQV (RuneQuest Vikings) comes out, then it might be worth thew switch. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/4/2018 at 6:06 PM, Atgxtg said:

Yeah, it should work okay. You might have to adjust the magic a bit, and maybe go over the prewritten scenarios and look for any obstacles such as resistance scores, and covert them to Mythras game mechanics.

On 12/5/2018 at 12:12 PM, Mugen said:

You both seem to be under the misapprehension that Mythic Iceland uses the Mythras system. It doesn't. It's an easy mistake to make - Mythic Britain, Mythic Rome, Mythic Constantinople all use the Mythras system. However, Mythic Iceland - which came out before any of them, I believe - uses BRP. And, to answer the OP's question, BRP is very compatible with RQ3, in fact it's pretty much the same system, though BRP has a few more options added on. So yes, RQ3 Vikings would be really easy to use for Mythic Iceland.

To tell the truth, all the D100 games are very compatible with each other, requiring only a bit of work to convert. So if you wanted to run Mythic Iceland using Mythras, it'd be easy enough to convert. The difficult bit is in using the strengths of the system you're using to represent the milieu. The Icelandic Sagas have stories of warriors who caught spears and threw them back, who threw axes from both hands, who caught weapons in their shields and twisted them out f their owner's hands and lots of other stuff. You need to consider how to best represent this in Mythras, which will probably be using special effects. Or maybe having the skill as a gift from the Gods or something - after all, the people wrote about in the Icelandic sagas weren't average people.

Magic... I've always thought you don't have to stick with one magic system. There's a tendency to do this, to have some sort of Unified Magic Theory, but we don't have to be that... scientific. RQ has three magic systems, BRP introduces some more and other systems that could be considered magical and there's no reason a Viking sorcerer has to use anything like the same mechanics as a Byzantine sorcerer (unless, of course, he'd studied in Constantinople, not impossible or even unlikely if he were a Swede.) So Rune Magic could be something unique to the Vikings (although Celtic Ogham seems to be similar in some ways) and unknown outside of Viking areas.

I understand that Mythic Iceland is being rewritten to use RQG as its engine. Fair enough, and it'd be nice to see how they use RQG's Rune affinities for the Viking Futhark. But you could probably still use RQ3, copying the affinities over (myself, I like the Skill Category modifiers from RQ3, there's no hard border - in RQG, if you get your strength from 16 to 17, all your skills go up 5%. In RQ3, they go up 1%, as they do when your strength goes up from 15 to 16, an increase that gains you no benefit in RQG. RQ3 is better here, IMHO. A bit too much reverence for RQ2.)