I need a recommendation re: HQG or Core

KingofElfland

I’m very interested in HQ for several reasons, but most importantly it sounds like a versatile engine to tell a variety of stories. I understand the only version of the rules in print is HQG. Are those rules easy to port into other settings, or should I try to track down a copy of the older Core (HQ2?)? I’d prefer print. I don’t mind buying the pdf, but if HQG works just fine I might as well just order that with the provided pdf. 

HQ2CR has a lot more "Here is how you put together the pieces to run various sorts of games." material than HQG does. HQG however is something of a refinement in the way it chooses what I find to be most of the best options that HQ2CR presents, but the context in which they are presented is Glorantha. If you're capable of abstracting from there, it may get the job done though. The only utterly Gloranthan mechanics in it are those that relate to runes/cults, and even those make for examples of what you might do with magic in other contexts.If you want print, HQG is your book for now.

A successor to HQ2CR is coming in the form of QuestWorlds, which is a generic toolkit packaging of the rules with a lot of lessons-learned refinements along with goodies from Mythic Russia and Hero Wars included as options. While the QuestWorlds SRD is nearing completion, it will be some time yet before another a proper core-book with lots of examples and advice appears.

• Thanks 1

HQG is good, but I found a lot of it confusing. 

Personally, I still prefer HQ1 to HQ2, but most people prefer HQ2.

I am looking forward to the Questworlds SRD and range.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I would buy both HQG and HQ2 Core.

With HQG you have a refined version of the game system. With HQ2 Core you have the generic character creation rules (without the runes) and advices on how to adapt HQ2 to any setting of your choice.

If you are interested in the generic aspect of HQ2, it can't hurt to have both the core rules (HQ2) and a complete adaptation (HQG). It will show you how the HQ2 rules can be used to fit another setting. If you buy a physical copy of HQG and are not adverse to digital books only, a PDF version of HQ2 could be enough in order to read the parts you are interested in.

I am currently game mastering a Hollow Earth Expedition campaign. I use the contest resolution rules of HQG and the characters were created with the HQ2 rules. I call that crossover HQ2G and it took me less than two hours of work to design the adaptation. The magic systems in HQG helped a lot, JonL is right.

Edited by Corvantir
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 6:36 PM, jrutila said:

I feel I crocked the system best by reading HQG and HQ2 both kind of cross-referencing. Some things were said a little clearer in HQ2 and the HQG was the actual implementation of those rules, so to say.

Exactly! Some things are clearer in HQ:CR (2009) & others are clearer in HQ:G (2015). There are, for instance, more examples in HQ:CR with probably one example for each & every rule whereas in HQ:G the examples for the core rules (sic) are longer, much more detailed & better explained but the rest of the rules can be sometimes hard to swallow due to the lack of examples. It's really a shame that HQ:CR is not available in POD on Chaosium's (Rick's?!?) Lulu page. When HQ:CR (HQ2) came out, I expected to hate it: just like RQIII, generic, bland & cut-off from Glorantha... urgh! Not so, not only is it one of the best written RPGs ever & a massive improvement to the rules of HW:RiG (2000)/ HQ:RiG (2003) but Glorantha is also cleverly hidden most everywhere in the game before the last, purely Gloranthan chapter. Thank you very much Robin, Jeff, Rick & all the others involved for this masterpiece!

Edited by Christoph Kohring
  • Like 2

On 1/31/2019 at 6:36 PM, jrutila said:

I feel I crocked the system best by reading HQG and HQ2 both kind of cross-referencing. Some things were said a little clearer in HQ2 and the HQG was the actual implementation of those rules, so to say.

I agree, I am sometimes looking into HQ2 when I have some troubles with the HQG rules. I have done it recently to be sure how consequences are determined with the Rising Action Method.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:51 PM, Corvantir said:

I would buy both HQG and HQ2 Core.

I have both (as well as the earlier HW/HQ1).  I've been running HQG close to 5 years now and don't think I've ever referenced the HQ2 Core in the entire time, though I know there are a few things which are described/written somewhat clearer in the Core book.

9 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I have both (as well as the earlier HW/HQ1).  I've been running HQG close to 5 years now and don't think I've ever referenced the HQ2 Core in the entire time, though I know there are a few things which are described/written somewhat clearer in the Core book.

For me, and I know I am in a definite minority, I shouldn't have to refer to rulebooks to clarify things about HeroQuest.

At its heart, HeroQuest is a very simple and elegant system that just works, without having things clarified.

Everything that needs clarifying has been bolted on to the elegant system, so I have to ask "Do I need this?" for every extra bit, and the usual answer is "No".

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here