Ship Stats

Naed Yar

I'm just bouncing off ideas here (i.e., looking for feedback).

BRP, p. 271 has stats for a "Vintage Sailing" ship. This ship is supposed to be a galleon, and I would like a BRP Caribbean to have more than one kind of ship, so here we go...

Frigate

Skill: Pilot

Rated Speed 3

Handling -5%

ACC +- 1

MOV 20

Armor 15

Siz 96

HP 115

Crew 50+

Passengers 30+

Cargo (merchandise/cannon) 40

Sloop

Skill Pilot

Rated Speed 4

Handling +5%

ACC +-2

MOV 24

Armor 8

Siz 80

HP 80

Crew 15+

Passengers 8+

Cargo 40

So, what do you think?

Just happen to have my Sailors on the Seas of Fate with me.

For a Frigate I'd use the Galley

Hull Type: Warship

Hull Quality: 120

Seaworthyness:20

Structure Points: 120

Length:250 feet

Beam: 40 feet

Freeboard: 15 feet

Draft: 15 feet

Capacity: 500 chained slave rowers, 100 rowers, 60 officers and sailors

Other Notes: 2 banks of oars (3/4 rower arrangement), up to 8 war engines

I'm using the Small Cog for the Sloop

Hull Type: Merchant

Hull Quality: 1d6+4

Seaworthyness:22

Structure Points: 45

Length:70 feet

Beam: 18 feet

Freeboard: 9 feet

Draft: 7 feet

Capacity: 40 tons

Crew: 15 officers and sailors

Other Notes: difficult to sail at a half wind angle

70/420

I'm just bouncing off ideas here (i.e., looking for feedback).

BRP, p. 271 has stats for a "Vintage Sailing" ship. This ship is supposed to be a galleon, and I would like a BRP Caribbean to have more than one kind of ship, so here we go...

So, what do you think?

If you want a sailing supplement then look at RQ Pirates - Ahar! It's very good indeed and is very compatible with BRP.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Just happen to have my Sailors on the Seas of Fate with me.

For a Frigate I'd use the Galley

Hull Type: Warship

Hull Quality: 120

Seaworthyness:20

Structure Points: 120

Length:250 feet

Beam: 40 feet

Freeboard: 15 feet

Draft: 15 feet

Capacity: 500 chained slave rowers, 100 rowers, 60 officers and sailors

Other Notes: 2 banks of oars (3/4 rower arrangement), up to 8 war engines

I'm using the Small Cog for the Sloop

Hull Type: Merchant

Hull Quality: 1d6+4

Seaworthyness:22

Structure Points: 45

Length:70 feet

Beam: 18 feet

Freeboard: 9 feet

Draft: 7 feet

Crew: 15 officers and sailors

Other Notes: difficult to sail at a half wind angle

Thank you, but what do these stats mean in BRP terms?

If you want a sailing supplement then look at RQ Pirates - Ahar! It's very good indeed and is very compatible with BRP.

I would, but I don't have it. I'm kind of young for a BRP guy... ;)

It looks like you have a good start. I did a little research and found this http://www.blackpearltales.net/erins_site/Ships.html#top Pirates of the Caribbean - Ship Types Perhaps you can use this to come up with some more classifications of ships of the era. Also http://ezinearticles.com/?Sailing-Ships-in-the-1800s&id=1581523

Excerpt:

Marine History is dubbed with various tags that characterized the use of the ships and/or the style. The mid-1800s to early the 1900s was dubbed with some affection as the golden age of sailing or the golden age of sailing ships. The sailing ships in the 1800s plowed all seven seas in the world to transport cargo. Also the rigs of the 1800 ships are divided into two categories. The two categories are:

The fore-and-aft-rig

The square rig

For each of these categories there were certain styles of sailing ships in the 1800s. The styles of ship referred to as the "fore-and-aft-rig" are:

The Sloop

Grand Bank Fishing Schooner

Two Masted Fishing Schooner

Square Topsail Schooner

Coastal Schooner

Ketch

Four Masted Schooner

Tern Schooner

The second style of ship is the "square rig" these are the styles:

Brigantine

Brig

Barquentine

Barque or Bark

Full Rigged Ship

The fore-and-aft-rig style ships are generally of a schooners style. Schooners have been know to out-number square riggers in America, generally. The schooners can sail closer to the wind and they could also be sailed with a smaller crew, thus the reason for their popularity.

Schooners are versatile because they can carry every conceivable type of cargo. The schooners are also used for coastal work, ocean voyages on inland waterways and in the open seas. In the late 1800's, there could be up to 2000 schooners on the Great Lakes for the purpose of hauling a great variety of cargo and actually for pleasure as well or for the purpose of fishing.

So starting from your definition of the Sloop and the Frigate (I am guessing that is a slang for "Full Rigged Ship") and doing some comparisons you may be able to come up with some “standards” I would look at what defines these and then look at how those compare to your already defined ships.

One thing to note that each ship is its own work like a castle, or home. So within each classification, there should be room for customization.

Edited by BroCoyote
Corrections and addtions

Hey Simon,

Could you give us a sample ship writeup from RQ Pirates so we can see what it is like and how it compares to/adapts to BRP?

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Sailing on the Seas of Fate, a Ships and Sailing supplement for Elric! / Stormbringer 5th edition is available direct from Chaosium's web site at present for $5, and is even more BRP compatible than MRQ Pirates.

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks for posting the product Nick, I didn't know it existed and now I can buy that for use in my next BRP fantasy campaign.

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

RQ3 had much of the same stuyff as Sailor on THe seas Of Fate, but slightly modified, and with ships that were not specific to theYoung Kingdoms. Neither are quite the same as BRP though.

Hey Simon,

Could you give us a sample ship writeup from RQ Pirates so we can see what it is like and how it compares to/adapts to BRP?

Brigantine

Hull: 4

Structure Points: 250

Seaworthiness: 15

Length: 100ft

Draft: 15ft

Capacity: 100 tons

Crew: 30/60/120

Speed: +0

Weapons

Fore: None

Aft: Four 18-Pounders (4D8 each)

Broadside: Ten 18-Pounders (4D8 each)

Skill: Shiphandling +0%

Corvette

Hull: 4

Structure Points: 150

Seaworthiness: 18

Length: 60 ft

Draft: 10 ft

Crew: 15/50/80

Speed: +6 feet/+1 knot

Weapons

Fore: Two 9-Pounders (4D6 each)

Broadside: Eight 18-Pounders (4D8 each)

Skill: Shiphandling +0%

Frigate

Hull: 5

Structure Points: 180

Seaworthiness: 20

Length: 90 ft

Draft: 10 ft

Capacity: 80 tons

Crew: 20/60/120

Speed: +12 feet/2 knots

Weapons

Fore: Two 9-Pounders (4D6 each)

Aft: Two 9-Pounders (4D6 each)

Broadside: Ten 18-Pounders (4D8 each)

Skill: Shiphandling +10%

Galleon

Structure Points: 300

Length: 200 ft

Draft: 30 ft

Capacity: 250 tons

Crew: 80/160/320

Speed: -18 ft/-3 tons

Weapons

Fore: Four 18-Pounders (4D8 each)

Aft: Eight 18-Pounders (4D8 each)

Broadside: Sixteen 18-Pounders (4D8 each), Sixteen 24-Pounders (4D10 each)

Skill: Shiphandling -10%

Warship

Structure Points: 250

Length: 150 ft

Draft: 30 ft

Capacity: 100 tons

Crew: 30/120/200

Speed: +12 ft/+2 knots

Weapons

Fore: Four 9-Pounders (4D6 each)

Aft: Four 9-Pounders (4D6 each)

Broadside: Twenty 18-Pounders (4D8 each)

Skill: Shiphandling +10%

Structure Points: These are a ship's hit points. Damage to these represents damage to the integrity of the ship itself and ships do not heal of their own accord.

Seaworthiness: The ability of the ship to stand up to the rigours of sailing. All ships must underdo frequent maintenance in order to keep their Seaworthiness from deteriorating.

Length: The distance from bow to stern

Draft: The depth of water needed for the ship to operate successfully and avoid running aground.

Capacity: This indicates the cargo capacity of the ship in tons. This number reflects the ship's cargo capacity in addition to the ship's rigging, crew, provisions and so forth.

Crew: The first number is the minimum needed ro sail the ship without penalty. The second is the average number of crew on board such a ship. The last number is the maximum number of people such a ship can carry (+10% to Shiphandling and crew checks). A vessel can be sailed with as little as one-third the minimum crew - this is called a skeleton crew (-20% to Shiphandling and crew checks). More commonly a captured vessel is given a two-thirds minimum crew, called a Prize Crew (-10% to Shiphandling and crew checks).

Speed: For rowed vessels this lists the speed the ship travels per Crew Combat Round (30 seconds/6 Normal Rounds) or per twelve hour period. For sailed vessels, a modifier is listed describing how much faster or slower than average the vessel goes.

Weapons: The weapons carried on the ship.

Skill: Every ship has its own peculiarities and each design presents different challenges. This denotes which skill is used when operating the ship (normally Shiphandling or Boating). When the captain is called upon to use a skill then this modifier is given in addition to any other that the GM may decide is necessary.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

Thanks soltakss,

You gave me much more that I asked for, too. :thumb:

THe stats do help to see how easy it is (or isn't) to port something over from one system to another. With the noticeable difference of putting structure points on character scale, the stats are very similar, if not identical, to those in RQ3 and Sailor on the Seas of Fate.

BTW, I take it Hull works as armor?

THe stats do help to see how easy it is (or isn't) to port something over from one system to another. With the noticeable difference of putting structure points on character scale, the stats are very similar, if not identical, to those in RQ3 and Sailor on the Seas of Fate.

Yes, they are similar enough to be used with virtually no conversion. I hadn't noticed the big difference in Structure Points - I assumed it was because these are big ships.

BTW, I take it Hull works as armor?

I'd assume so. It doesn't say in the Ships chapter and I didn't have time to look through the whole book, unfortunately.

By the way, Pirates is an excellent book and well worth buying if you want to run a sailing campaign.