Sign in to follow this  
RHW

Alcoholic Beverages of Glorantha

Cracked did a video on ancient/early intoxicants a while back, in which they tried them out on themselves. The last they did was supposedly Soma, although the version of the video on Youtube does not mention which recipe they used (the original did, but I can't find it), it does, however, use some kind of (presumably psychedelic) mushroom. Not sure how authentic it is, but I know they *tried* to be authentic.

The different people have very different reactions, which can be an amusing watch.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed

4 hours ago, Joerg said:

Does anybody know more about the recipe/preparation method for the ancient Persian holy drink of soma? Short research points to it being plant sap harvested from ephedra or sarcostemma, and potentially non-alcoholic yet inebriating.

The *only* thing I know about it is that it was indeed alcoholic.

But what % I have no idea -- many traditional drinks had either a low or a high degree of alcohol content.

It's BTW become a serious PITA that traditional ginger beer is so hard to find (and so excessively expensive when you sometimes find it regardless) -- and if I were an American, I'd probably be just as annoyed by the even more pervasive absence of traditional root beer.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 7:03 AM, Joerg said:

Does anybody know more about the recipe/preparation method for the ancient Persian holy drink of soma? Short research points to it being plant sap harvested from ephedra or sarcostemma, and potentially non-alcoholic yet inebriating.

The tradition of Looking For Soma goes back to the philologen and remains fractious. I like the "cocktail" hypothesis (see also Gods Wall II.23) and the recent "mushroom honey" angle is also interesting. Mysteries of Minlinster, secrets of the hive. Where the bee gorakiki went.