BRP - FANTASY BUT WITH LIGHTNESS

Magic World is traditional BRP, much closer to Runequest or Call of Cthulhu. In fact, it's very nearly just a rewrite of the old Stormbringer 5th edition. Openquest is "variant" BRP, based off the old Mongoose Runequest SRD. Both of them have free quickstarts if you'd like to take a closer look.

Edited by Richard S.

32 minutes ago, RosenMcStern said:

And most important of all, Whisker89 has translated OpenQuest into Italian :) You can find it here: http://bardosulmare.blogspot.com/2015/09/openquest-edizione-base-pdf.html

Thanks :)Ā I already own it, but before I startĀ  reading one of the two games I was looking for some adviceĀ from most experienced players of this system.

I don't have OpenQuest but I have Magic World and have used it steadily for several years now. I have been told one difference between the two is that OpenQuest uses opposed rolls where Magic World uses the resistance table. Another difference is is the way weapons skills are handled. Magic World has a range of weapons you can gain skills in... I think OpenQuest has a lesser number of broader categories which you can gain skills in. You can find a review of Magic World here -> https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/16/16300.phtml

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

9 hours ago, Mugen said:

Yes. There are only 3 skills in the "combat" category : Melee, Ranged and Unarmed.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say! I am always unclear when I barely know what I am talking about šŸ™‚

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!