I Make A Runequest Glorantha Character! Video Links Thread

klecser

Hey all, I will update this thread periodically as I upload more videos. The goal of this series is for me to showcase character creation for new players through the eyes of an experienced role-player new to Runequest.

Edited by klecser
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1610 has a mistake in the book - it doesn't list Sartar as a participating homeland, yet Sartarites get a modifier of -5 to the 1D20! Sartarites could be involved in the Second Invasion of Prax, or they could die of random causes!

One thing to bear in mind with rune selection is to check the spells that the cult gives, and make sure you take runes that allow you to cast all the spells that you will want to. You should be ok not taking Fertility, as nearly all the Ernalda spells can be cast with Earth or Harmony or either. There are only a couple that only have Fertility, and they aren't "essential adventuring" spells. If your adventurer wants to have a child (a requirement for priesthood), and casts Reproduce to make sure it is successful, you can roll again if you fail the 50% roll.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Puckohue said:

The listed homelands have to roll that year, but all characters are allowed to roll each year.

So for example in 1610 a Sartarite can skip the roll, but if they don't then they roll at -5? I guess that makes sense since the events aren't really related to Sartar.

On 4/27/2019 at 5:10 PM, klecser said:

Hey all, I will update this thread periodically as I upload more videos. The goal of this series is for me to showcase character creation for new players through the eyes of an experienced role-player new to Runequest.

Just watched yer 2nd klecser. Nice, good way to introduce the rules, mistakes (few, maybe two), uncertainties and all.

The question you posed at the end of two. I don't see an answer, so let me try. What to do if a passion already exists and are told to open it. Hmm. if apathetic is 50/50  then opening a passion at the standard 60% would be the same as adding 10% to a new passion. One might assume that a passion that already exists getting this bonus  would necessitate adding 10%, no?

Checked passions and reputation section and nothing, Family history is where I should have started here it is, on page 29:

If the event indicates that your adventurer gains a Passion (Love, Hate, Loyalty, Fear, Devotion, Honor, etc.) that Passion starts at 60%, unless indicated otherwise.

If your adventurer already has the Passion, increase it by +10%, unless indicated otherwise

Cheers

PS I just realized... I now know how long it takes to  do family history. Thanks klescer

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Large Shield has 16 HP in the table, that's the amount of damage it absorbs. This used to be AP in the previous edition but they changed it back to HP which was in RQ2. I think it's because it's slightly different to armour that you wear in that it can take damage and be weakened from being hit, which armour does not.

18 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Large Shield has 16 HP in the table, that's the amount of damage it absorbs. This used to be AP in the previous edition but they changed it back to HP which was in RQ2. I think it's because it's slightly different to armour that you wear in that it can take damage and be weakened from being hit, which armour does not.

Thanks Phil. That is one of several changes I'm going to make based on feedback.

Someone in the comments also pointed out that my STR doesn't support a large shield and weapon. So, honestly, I'm just going to increase her STR to 12. That will help me keep the character concept.

Edited by klecser

47 minutes ago, klecser said:

Someone in the comments also pointed out that my STR doesn't support a large shield and weapon. So, honestly, I'm just going to increase her STR to 12. That will help me keep the character concept.

Good point, that should really be pointed out in the adventurer creation section, to check that you can use the weapons. I might add that to my character creation spreadsheet, to highlight unusable weapons.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, klecser said:

Welcome to Part 7, linked above!

klecser - you gave a great answer there to this commenter:

Is this for real? It takes 7 videos and about 3 hours to make a character? Sounds like a complicated game.

2002765613_ScreenShot2019-06-15at12_31_39am.png.ed70227f071892795dd0e247201557cf.png

Many thanks for this excellent series!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MOB said:

klecser - you gave a great answer there to this commenter:

Is this for real? It takes 7 videos and about 3 hours to make a character? Sounds like a complicated game.

2002765613_ScreenShot2019-06-15at12_31_39am.png.ed70227f071892795dd0e247201557cf.png

Many thanks for this excellent series!

Thank you MOB.

In all fairness to that commenter, I have an "educator mentality" when it comes to helping people learn games. We do more than the bare minimum that is needed to help someone. My expertise is NOT in gaming, even though I've been gaming for 27 years. It is in learning and cognition. That makes Keeping and teaching games more natural for me. And helping someone understand something means taking the time to help them navigate the nuances. It also means that I'm a bit more persnickety about holding people accountable for doing their best, and that sometimes gets me into trouble on online forums and Kickstarters. ;) 

If you're interested, I also put my skills to use at Spielbound.org as Education Coordinator. I'm also a Michael. ;) http://spielbound.org/education

Edited by klecser
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...