Modules with Rewards like Rainbow Mounds

Tywyll

Good question. RQ2 had a few things like that, some of the treasures in The Sea Cave are similar, there's a potion that swaps points of characteristics around. Troll drinks and bee products can have some funky effects. There are some unique magic items in the Gamemaster Adventures, in one of the graves, but nothing like that.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tywyll said:

Are there any other adventures or modules that do things like the Rainbow Mounds, where characters gain permanent magical benefits (i.e. the permanent armor points from killing the great lizard mother)?

I think it would be easier to list those adventures or modules or sandboxes that do not give an opportunity to gain a permanent magical effect. Nope, can't think of one. Wait, Green Brass the freebie from RQ 3's GM book. And some on Alan Lavergne's solo modules... 

Cheers

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

4 hours ago, Tywyll said:
5 hours ago, Kloster said:

I remember of some Eurmal's mushrooms that have random permanent magical effects, not all beneficiary, but I don't remember in which RQIII module.

I do but I am not sure I wish to name the module (s) without a big spoiler alert. Why ruin a game for some poor group? The money spent, the time taken in reading learning copying, transcribing maps,  laminating, playing all at risk because of loose lips, I think not. Not being surly and I mean this in a positive way. :)

My editorial opinion.

cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian

Don't get me wrong, I am not sure I should give away plot points that big in a specific way. Discussing i a general way... that intro module for very new comers... surprise there are no large magic items or imo most modules do have big shiny magic.. Naming a module, telling exactly what and where and when with a bit of how... I get a bit queasy at this point and I don't exactly mean my stated aversion to spoilers. It seems wrong. Is it just me? Again, not a flame just a valid question.

Would Should such threads exist?

Should they have large spoiler alerts?

Am I being silly?

Cheers

see strike out

6 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Don't get me wrong, I am not sure I should give away plot points that big in a specific way. Discussing i a general way... that intro module for very new comers... surprise there are no large magic items or imo most modules do have big shiny magic.. Naming a module, telling exactly what and where and when with a bit of how... I get a bit queasy at this point and I don't exactly mean my stated aversion to spoilers. It seems wrong. Is it just me? Again, not a flame just a valid question.

You can always wrap a Spoiler tag around the answer.

Like This ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

8 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Naming a module, telling exactly what and where and when with a bit of how... I get a bit queasy at this point and I don't exactly mean my stated aversion to spoilers. It seems wrong. Is it just me? Again, not a flame just a valid question.

I feel like ultimately, here on the forum it's better to just state the source, rather than imply it. In part this is because most of these adventures are very old and an interested player may have browsed them already, but also because if the person asking has never heard of River of Cradles or Rainbow Mounds or wherever before, then they may not get where you're referencing obliquely. Further, my gut says that the folks more likely to make their way to the forum asking specific questions are GMs, not players, so adventure spoilers aren't as significant.

Now, if we'd just had some huge adventure pack come out with some really surprising and interesting twists and traps, I do feel your concerns would be really relevant in the same way that worry over spoilers was going around online shortly after the release of Avengers: Endgame

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:
1 hour ago, soltakss said:
1 hour ago, soltakss said:

You can always wrap a Spoiler tag around the answer.

soltakss you old nerd, how exactly does one achieve such a result?

It's magic, innit?

OK, so what you do is use tags, specifically the spoiler tag. Within square brackets [] you put the word spoiler and then in another set of square brackets you put /spoiler.

So, misspelling so as not to have a spoiler, you put [spoileroo]This is a spoileroo[/spoileroo], but using spoiler instead of spoileroo.

There may well be a tag that means "Treat anything inside as text, in which case, I could have used that instead, but not sure what it is. In HTML Code does the trick and that seems to work, so ...

[spoiler]This is a spoileroo[/spoiler]

Edited by soltakss
  • Thanks 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

4 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I do but I am not sure I wish to name the module (s) without a big spoiler alert. Why ruin a game for some poor group? The money spent, the time taken in reading learning copying, transcribing maps,  laminating, playing all at risk because of loose lips, I think not. Not being surly and I mean this in a positive way. :)

My editorial opinion.

cheers

Um...it's a spoiler for a nearly 40 year old module. I think the statute of limitations has run out.

Meanwhile, looking at my collection of modules and sandboxes I don't see any. Where is the permanent powers gained Griffin Mountain? What do you get in the Big Rubble (I don't count Nysalor Riddles). borderlands? It's possible I missed something but I don't recall anything like the rewards in Rainbow Mounds.

But if you know of some and don't want to risk spoilers please PM me with details. As Gm I would like more adventures like that.

Considering the cost of some 40 year old module still runs to a buck or two and they are still commercially available. I would ask that you reconsider your argument. You are not saying that people who have just invested big in classic RQ are not welcome here are you?. I propose a test of your theorem,  just post entire classic modules. I am sure Chasoium might agree with your 40 year statute of limitations. So in summary, RQ 2 modules are no longer current,  You would prefer no spoiler alerts and it seems you might wish to use stronger language then silly with me. n'est-ce pas?

1 hour ago, Tywyll said:

Meanwhile, looking at my collection of modules and sandboxes I don't see any. Where is the permanent powers gained Griffin Mountain? What do you get in the Big Rubble (I don't count Nysalor Riddles). borderlands? It's possible I missed something but I don't recall anything like the rewards in Rainbow Mounds.

Again I could answer but I shan't. 

1 hour ago, Tywyll said:

I don't count Nysalor Riddles

I do, permanent, check, magical check, yeah it qualifies...

1 hour ago, Tywyll said:

But if you know of some and don't want to risk spoilers please PM me with details. As Gm I would like more adventures like that.

They are commercially available from chaosium...

Now keep in mind, I said I was not looking for flames...

Cheers

In The Sea Cave:

A poison which adds +1 to STR if survived (it isn't very potent)

A potion with several doses each of which grants +1 INT, at the cost of STR, POW, and/or CON

If you are worried that your players might read this, and are going to run this module, just change the nature of any potions they find, and add some extra random bottles of various stuff.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Tywyll said:

Um...it's a spoiler for a nearly 40 year old module. I think the statute of limitations has run out.

Not for people who have just bought it through the RQ Classic Kickstarter or subsequently, or who have not yet played the scenario.

What us oldies forget is that not everyone has been playing RuneQuest since the 80s, or even 70s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Considering the cost of some 40 year old module still runs to a buck or two and they are still commercially available.

If anything, for GMs it might make them more interested in buying the module.

I would ask that you reconsider your argument. You are not saying that people who have just invested big in classic RQ are not welcome here are you?.

That's a ridiculous and offensive take away.

I propose a test of your theorem,  just post entire classic modules. I am sure Chasoium might agree with your 40 year statute of limitations. So in summary, RQ 2 modules are no longer current,  You would prefer no spoiler alerts

I never said that, in fact I said if you don't want to spoil, to pm me. I don't know how less spoilery I could be?

and it seems you might wish to use stronger language then silly with me. n'est-ce pas?

Again I could answer but I shan't. 

Strong language? When? Where? On the otherhand you seem to want to taunt me with supposedly knowing the answers I was looking for but rather than being helpful choosing to be obtuse. Rather than writing this post and continuing to say na-na-na you could have taken this conversation private and spare our hypothetical virginal audience their spoilers.

I do, permanent, check, magical check, yeah it qualifies...

It clearly doesn't. Please reread what I asked for. If I wanted Nysalor Riddles I would have asked for those. Are you basing your taunt on the presence of NR in the modules?

I also wasn't looking for magical items, I was looking for things that behaved like the great mother's rewards or the mushrooms. Things that modify stats.

They are commercially available from chaosium...

And? What are you saying we can't discuss modules on this board? That doesn't match the forum etiquette I have seen here, and certainly not in other old school forums.

Now keep in mind, I said I was not looking for flames...

Cheers

That isn't my impression.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

Not for people who have just bought it through the RQ Classic Kickstarter or subsequently, or who have not yet played the scenario.

What us oldies forget is that not everyone has been playing RuneQuest since the 80s, or even 70s.

Sure, of course (though I would imagine old vs new there is heavily weighted towards old players), but since when has discussing old modules on this board been off the table? I have seen lots of such discussions and nobody batted an eyelid. Heck some of the new material has spoilers for old modules, like the cradle.

Also, the thread topic clearly references the module and it's rewards as the topic of discussion...if people open the thread and care about being spoiled, that's on them. An article that discusses Endgame or GoT's ending and says that in the title...it's on the reader if they choose to continue and get spoiled.

Edited by Tywyll

9 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:
  Reveal hidden contents

In The Sea Cave:

A poison which adds +1 to STR if survived (it isn't very potent)

A potion with several doses each of which grants +1 INT, at the cost of STR, POW, and/or CON

If you are worried that your players might read this, and are going to run this module, just change the nature of any potions they find, and add some extra random bottles of various stuff.

Thanks Phil. Do you know of any others?