Tekumel for HeroQuest?

Acatiaant

In the months before the end of G+, someone in the Tekumel group I was a member of mentioned that there was to be work on Tekumel material for the HeroQuest system. Is there any more word on this? If things can't be discussed, I fully understand, but I am definitely curious...

Edited by Acatiaant

I haven't heard about that, but it should be straightforward unless Tekumel has some weird rules that don't translate.

When converting other systems to HeroQuest, I just take the Spells/Abilities and use their names as Breakouts for Keywords and that's about it.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

5 hours ago, soltakss said:

When converting other systems to HeroQuest, I just take the Spells/Abilities and use their names as Breakouts for Keywords and that's about it.

And there are so many different systems for Tékumel.  Pick the one with the most evocative spell names -- Swords & Glory is great for overall flavor, and HQ can help pull it out of the deep, deep weeds.

!i!

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

Looking at the Tekumel Foundation's Policies FAQ, their fan-work policies seem fairly reasonable, though some parts (I'm looking at the 30 day termination of permission to distribute notice clause) would require being extra careful on delineating Open Gaming content vs proprietary content (always a good practice anyway). The way Nameless Streets put all the HQ rules mods subject to the HeroQuest Gateway License in a single chapter is a good example.

Their policies re for-profit works OTOH, seem to contain terms that are incompatible with the OGL. In particular:

Although you will retain any intellectual property rights in the portions of the Submission that are your own creation, by making a Submission, you grant to the Foundation an unrestricted, irrevocable license to copy, reproduce, publish, upload, post, transmit, distribute, publicly display, perform, modify, create derivative works from, and otherwise freely use, the materials or information in the Submission.

You can't grant someone unrestricted rights to material based on Open Gaming content. You have to pass it on with the same rights & restrictions that you and everyone else get. 

That's not to say something different could not be negotiated to account for that. The OGL was after all specifically designed to accomodate Open Gaming content and proprietary IP side by side in the same work. That's a discussion that would need to be had though.

16 hours ago, Lemurion said:

It looks like it would  certainly be possible to license it, though I don’t know if Chaosium would be willing to make the effort at this time. I just wanted to remind people that licensing the IP is a necessary step in the process. 

I had an informal conversation that indicated willingness to license to Chaosium. What I don't have his resources to commit to the effort right now, if we did get the license. If we had that, then it might be worth triggering conversations with the right people on both sides to understand if this could be made to happen. But without folks I know who could take this forward, it's not worth having that conversation, yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1