Pendragon Atlas???

I remember dowloading some preliminary, unfinished parts of the Pendragon Atlas from Greg Stafford's website, some years ago.

Unfortunately I could not open the file since they were in a format good for Mac, not PC.

I remember that I somehow managed to unzip them, but could not open the file.

In the meanwhile I maybe lost parts of these files.

Since I could not find the website anymore...does anybody know if and where these files can be found?

There is a map folio for sale at Chasoim's websight and DrivethruRPG. Could that be the finished version of the "Pendragon Atlas?" 

Are you looking for anything in particular? Quite few maps have appeared in various supplements.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

From what I remember it was more a real Atlas than a collection of maps (and that's frankly what actually would need now). 

From the preview page I can see a list of names....but unfortunately I cannot open index/metadata/data folders with .iwa files (I use a PC, not a Mac).

I clearly remember Greg to have said that it was an unfinished work.

But I do not know if I have all the files that he put on that website....by the way, I cannot read what I have.

A pdf or a .iwa/.pages converted to pdf by somebody who can do it would be great!

Edited by Luca Cherstich

Oh, so like the alternate place names used in some of the latter supplements?

BTW, it might be possible to access a .iwa file on a PC by copying and renaming it as a .zip file and then extract it with a program that can uncompress ZIP files. If you want I can take a crack at it.

Edited by Atgxtg

Hi, the website that had the files has expired. The materials on it were copyright Greg Stafford and are now copyright his family estate. We don't have permission to republish the contents or distribute them. They are not in the public domain. If some one wants to start an atlas / gazetteer based on our published products I could certainly add it to the Greathall.

1 hour ago, Atgxtg said:

Oh, so like the alternate place names used in some of the latter supplements?

BTW, it might be possible to access a .iwa file on a PC by copying and renaming it as a .zip file and then extract it with a program that can uncompress ZIP files. If you want I can take a crack at it.

I did that...but it did not work. Possibly something got wrong after so many times that I copied things on different hard disks.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Hi, the website that had the files has expired. The materials on it were copyright Greg Stafford and are now copyright his family estate. We don't have permission to republish the contents or distribute them. They are not in the public domain. If some one wants to start an atlas / gazetteer based on our published products I could certainly add it to the Greathall.

thanks you, I got it.

I would really like to help, since I really feel that an Atlas/Gazetteer is what KAP needs now more than anything else. Unfortunately I'm not sure I got time in this time period! (and i'm also sire that there are people way mor expert than me on the matter, lurking in these forums!).

12 minutes ago, Luca Cherstich said:

I did that...but it did not work. Possibly something got wrong after so many times that I copied things on different hard disks.

Possibly. When dealing with differernt formats all sorts of things could happen. Have you tried opening it in notepad or wordpad? I was able to access some old Atari format files that way.

12 minutes ago, Luca Cherstich said:

thanks you, I got it.

I would really like to help, since I really feel that an Atlas/Gazetteer is what KAP needs now more than anything else. Unfortunately I'm not sure I got time in this time period! (and i'm also sire that there are people way mor expert than me on the matter, lurking in these forums!).

I think we all agree that anything that adds to the body of knowledge on the setting helps. 

3 hours ago, SDLeary said:

You still have an 800K floppy drive lying around?! 😲

Thats... hardcore man! 😉

SDLeary

I don't have them now (I think I might have one or two). I haven;t had  a floppy since 2012. But I copied my old files over to a PC years ago. The files were in AmiPro format, I believe, and while I couldn't open them up in MS Works or Word, I could open them up in Notepad or Wordpad. The files were messed up due to the special characters used for formatting the test, but readable and I could edit it to use my old Pendragon Notes and adventures. Some of the stuff, such as the timeline is a bit less useful since KAP5 came out, but most of it can be adapted with a little work. Most of the events are the same it's just the dates got shifted a little. 

17 hours ago, Luca Cherstich said:

If the file is REALLY old, the .iwa extension probalby corresponds to an "IBM Writing Assistant" file, not to the more recent "Pages" files from Apple. IWA was a DOS software.

If this is correct, I've found this possible solution: it's "File Magic", an apparently free software for file visualization that claims to be able to handle .iwa files:
https://www.filemagic.com/it/uncommon-files/iwa-file-extension/iwa-files-what-to-do-if-you-don-t-have-ibm-writing-assistant-text-software/

"File Convert" lists .iwa among the files it can handle and is available as a free trial here:
http://file-convert.com/flmn.htm#xl_fmn_pric
However, the trial version "introduces spelling errors" into the converted text. So, I'm not sure it's really useful...

The "Advanced File Optimizer" webpage claims the following:
" .iwa is an IBM Writing Assistant text file. It is a DOS application. A text file stores simple words and text with minimum formatting and no support for images or tables. The file is made up of ASCII characters and they are made up of one byte each. This character set can be read by any text editor." (emphasis mine)
They also claim that their (also apparently free) software can "open and fix" .iwa files, here:
http://advancedfileoptimizer.com/file-extension/iwa/

As an alternative, if you are able to run DOS software, you can (legally, I think) download IBM Writing Assistant from vetusware.com . It will probably need some amount of tinkering and a floppy disk drive. 

BTW, Luca, for what purpose do you need the Atlas exactly? If you give us more information, maybe someone here could be able to help you using some freely available resource.

Edited by mandrill_one
Found another possible solution to this problem.

On 10/18/2019 at 12:36 PM, mandrill_one said:

BTW, Luca, for what purpose do you need the Atlas exactly? If you give us more information, maybe someone here could be able to help you using some freely available resource.

Nothing specific....just curiosity and hunger for more KAP stuff!

By the way I tried most of things your said there, but nothing works.

I kind of remember to have unzipped it from some odd format, when I downloaded it, ages ago, but never was able to open it.

Furthermore, I've also lost the original zipped formats. So, I guess, I'll never be able to open these things.

Amen!