Casting the Runes - Kickstarter Preview

lawrence.whitaker

On January 2nd 2020, we'll be launching the Kickstarter campaign for Casting the Runes, our new Gumshoe-powered game of occult investigation in the world of M R James.

We've prepared a little preview of the book itself, and you can download a copy from: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/29 ... es-Preview, or from the files section here.

Keep an eye on facebook and other sites for more news on the Kickstarter launch, and please consider backing us so that we truly do cast favourable runes!

Casting the Runes Preview.pdf

• Like 6

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Intriguing setting, thanks for the preview. I would like to inquire about the rationale behind using Gumshoe as the setting’s system, though. I’m not familiar with it, yet from what I could glean in the preview, it doesn’t look like anything which I’m currently accustomed to (like, you know, Mythras, BRP, and a plethora of others).

From a GM’s perspective, not only do I have to get familiar with ”yet another system” (at least up to a functional level) in order to make it work at the table, I also have to take into account players who aren’t that eager to learn about new rules every time we start something new. I’m grateful for the existence of generic RPG rules, and I prefer to make use of them whenever possible (oh, I do count Mythras as one of them; exhibit A: M-Space). I choose to buy into wisdoms like “the right set of rules for the right setting”, and “ideally, rules shouldn’t get in the way of good, collaborative storytelling” when it’s convenient for me. Yet not having to learn about new rules and justify their use to my players may, sometimes, be even more convenient.

What can Gumshoe do (for me, for the players, for the game) that Mythras can’t? Using a d100 rules variant for investigative kinds of RPGs does work, and there is ample proof in the form of CoC. 

2 hours ago, foolcat said:

Intriguing setting, thanks for the preview. I would like to inquire about the rationale behind using Gumshoe as the setting’s system, though. I’m not familiar with it, yet from what I could glean in the preview, it doesn’t look like anything which I’m currently accustomed to (like, you know, Mythras, BRP, and a plethora of others).

From a GM’s perspective, not only do I have to get familiar with ”yet another system” (at least up to a functional level) in order to make it work at the table, I also have to take into account players who aren’t that eager to learn about new rules every time we start something new. I’m grateful for the existence of generic RPG rules, and I prefer to make use of them whenever possible (oh, I do count Mythras as one of them; exhibit A: M-Space). I choose to buy into wisdoms like “the right set of rules for the right setting”, and “ideally, rules shouldn’t get in the way of good, collaborative storytelling” when it’s convenient for me. Yet not having to learn about new rules and justify their use to my players may, sometimes, be even more convenient.

What can Gumshoe do (for me, for the players, for the game) that Mythras can’t? Using a d100 rules variant for investigative kinds of RPGs does work, and there is ample proof in the form of CoC. 

I am not a TDM person, but Loz answered this on another board.

his quote from the TDM board: 

This book came to us ready-made by one of our editors, so the system was already established. But, we also feel it's good for TDM to diversify a little in terms of the systems we support, and Gumshoe's a good fit for the kinds of games we tend to produce.

There's likely to be a d100 conversation or version of 'Casting the Runes' in the future.

Edited by Raleel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also not TDM, but I'd like to speak specifically to Gumshoe...

It's designed specifically around the key issue of mystery/investigation.  It eliminates any chance that the players will get stumped on an investigation, miss a crucial clue, etc, because they failed a roll.  Sometimes the dice just aren't with the players...

Instead, "failed" investigation rolls in Gumshoe mean that the information somehow "cost" them something, or comes with some sort of complication or problem, or similar things -- "downsides" that don't block the story from advancing.

It's a relatively popular system these days, for a wide variety of "investigator" RPGs.

• Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

6 hours ago, Raleel said:

There's likely to be a d100 conversation or version of 'Casting the Runes' in the future.

Thank you for this bit of information. While diversity can be a good thing where it’s warranted, having options to choose from, especially the option to go with something more familiar, may even be better depending on the situation.

4 hours ago, groovyclam said:

The GUMSHOE version of CoC is called Trail of Cthulhu and the rules can be downloaded for free here:

Thanks for the URL, skimming through it was educational.

As Raleel notes, 'Casting the Runes' came to us already written as a Gumshoe game. It wasn't a case of us commissioning a game based on M R James and insisting it had to be Gumshoe: or umming and aahing over whether to use Mythras or another system. We reviewed Paul StJohn Mackintosh's work, really, really liked it, and wanted to publish it. 

We also want to produce more than just Mythras. It's our core system and first love, but there's no reason why we, as a company, shouldn't explore other systems, be they established ones like Gumshoe, or ones we create ourselves. 

• Like 4

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

4 hours ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

We also want to produce more than just Mythras. It's our core system and first love, but there's no reason why we, as a company, shouldn't explore other systems, be they established ones like Gumshoe, or ones we create ourselves. 

This seems like a good idea; lots of companies look to be pursuing it.  EvilHat has not only Fate, but PbtA & FitD & Gumshoe (off the top of my head).  Pelgrane has Gumshoe & 13A, & DramaSystem.  etc etc etc...  (I expect Loz knows all this; I'm just pointing out the state of the industry, for other fans).

While there certainly can be "overextending," I trust TDM's good sense to avoid that; and there's strong evidence of "diversity creates stability" across a broad number of fields (q.v. the stock advice "diversify, diversify, diversify" & "biodiversity" & "irish potato famine" & much more).

C'es ne pas un .sig