Sacrificing Power

mikuel

A funny side effect of all those mechanic combined... The higher your POW the more loath you are to sacrifice it...
I guess it pays to have lots of interns and make them do enchant for you! :) 

They might be pleased to learn the arcane secret of enchanting.. the fools! :P 

I dunno about RuneQuest... but if you use XP (like in Mythras) instead of skill checkmark, one can replace 1 POW by, say, 5XPs?

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

4 hours ago, mikuel said:

I'm assuming that when you sacrifice Power to enchant a magic item, cast Magic Point Enchantment, or become an initiate of a cult, you don't get those power points back? 

Yes, correct.

4 hours ago, mikuel said:

These are permanent losses? 

Yes, they are permanent.

However, as lordabdul says, you can always increase your POW again through POW Gain rolls, but that is new POW, not the spent POW.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

6 hours ago, mikuel said:

I'm assuming that when you sacrifice Power to enchant a magic item, cast Magic Point Enchantment, or become an initiate of a cult, you don't get those power points back?  These are permanent losses?   

As there is nothing permanent in glorantha (maybe after hero war, I don't know, it is different) it is difficult to use "permanent"

to be simple see Power as money

You buy something with the power amount, and lose it for ever

But you can earn new money (or power) by many ways if you do the job when you do the job

that is different with magic points or rune points. You spent the points until something defined is done(your magic points after time, your rune points after worship on the right time).

I consider worship as an obligation, people believe in their god, so they prey. Not because they want to obtain something, but just because their faith.  *

But you can also see rune points as another "money" if you are more focus on gameplay than roleplay. Your pleasure may vary ;)

* what ?! I heard that some people prey because they fear something or want something ? Not becasue they are in their god way ? Argh ...