Godhi

Greetings from the Tragic Kingdom! I'm working on a project for the Jonstown Compendium which will be a combined bestiary and rogues gallery of chaos creatures going under the current title of the Chaos Compendium. While working on the section for Dancers in Darkness, I realized something interesting regarding the rules for Sorcery, and I'm hoping the designers of Runequest Glorantha could give me some information. Since Dancers in Darkness and Vampires are Undead and repelled by the Death Rune, it would be natural to believe they cannot learn the Death Rune or cast Sorcery spells using it. This prevents them from casting such spells as Animate Dead, Boon of Kargan Tor, and Ward Against Weapons. On the other hand, can such Sorcerers substitute the Undeath Rune in its place?

Edited by Godhi
misspelled word
  • Like 1

For Animate Dead, absolutely yes.

For Boon of Kargan Tor and Ward Against Weapons, maybe. It all depends in your game whether you want to say that Vampires, by cutting themselves off from Death no longer have access to Death-based magic. 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 4/30/2020 at 3:45 PM, French Desperate WindChild said:

I am not sure, the runes in sorcery aren't the runes you are / have. There are runes you study.

Agreed. Sorcery is an intellectual pursuit, and thus mastering a Rune for sorcery is gaining understanding of how it works into the threads of sorcerous magic... Not actually touching upon the elements of the universe itself.

On 4/30/2020 at 8:45 AM, French Desperate WindChild said:

I am not sure, the runes in sorcery aren't the runes you are / have. There are runes you study.

True, but Vampires shy away from a presented Death rune, so I can't see how they can focus on a Death Rune to study it.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

14 minutes ago, soltakss said:

True, but Vampires shy away from a presented Death rune, so I can't see how they can focus on a Death Rune to study it.

Presumably if it's in their book on Sorcery, it's not being determinedly presented by an initiate or a higher up in a Death cult.

Quote from the bestiary: "Vampires are greatly affected by the determined presentation of the Death Rune by one consecrated (initiate or higher) to a Death cult." 

Might be an interesting scene where a death cultist ends up in a Vampire's library and the only weapon they can find is a book of necromancy spells with a prominent death rune on the cover they use to smack the Vampire with. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tnli said:

Quote from the bestiary: "Vampires are greatly affected by the determined presentation of the Death Rune by one consecrated (initiate or higher) to a Death cult." 

Yeah, but if a Vampire is concentrating on a Death Rune in order to learn or cast a spell, I can see that as being a big problem.

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

Yeah, but if a Vampire is concentrating on a Death Rune in order to learn or cast a spell, I can see that as being a big problem.

Good question !

Is a representation of a rune acting as a power of the rune ? I would suggest that you need more than just a glyph, maybe a powerful glyph. Maybe to study runes for sorcery it is not only reading signs but manipulating their power.

can we destroy a vampire by tatooing a death rune on its body ?

It seems bizarre that a vampire cannot kill someone by "direct" magic

On 4/30/2020 at 2:38 AM, soltakss said:

It all depends in your game whether you want to say that Vampires, by cutting themselves off from Death no longer have access to Death-based magic. 

Almost all sorcery can be presented in an opposite form if you want to avoid the Death Rune.

You can kill by Tapping.  You could have a spell that Dispels Life.  

For protection or warding against Death, have a spell to Summon Stasis and/or Combine with Stasis with self (Man Rune? Undeath Rune?).

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 7:21 PM, soltakss said:

Wasn't there some rule at some point where you had to present the Death, and dump an MP into it as well??? (Obviously, not current rules)