Are you going to Online Gen Con this year?

Are you going to Gen Con this year?

I am for my first at my age my last time. So how, travel restrictions physical distance, global pandemics? Gen Con is going on line check this out!

268324158_ScreenShot2020-06-02at7_02_04PM.png.b8325a83736291458dfcf84261dcc8bc.png

https://www.gencon.com/online

Edited by Scotty
added online to title to clarify thread
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

To Bill's sincere question, an online GenCon won't offer the experience I was hoping from the convention (yeah, I'd planned to attend in person this year), but I'm glad they're maintaining continuity in the face of circumstances beyond their control.

!i!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

Since there is no GenCon this year, none of us are going there, although we can participate virtually in the Online GenCon.

And because of that, I think this thread needs to be about whether you are going to participate in the virtual con. Or else I will just lock it down.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Since there is no GenCon this year, none of us are going there, although we can participate virtually in the Online GenCon.

And because of that, I think this thread needs to be about whether you are going to participate in the virtual con. Or else I will just lock it down.

Given the "virtuality" of Gen Con this year, it does seem rather pointless to debate whether "going" is a covid-19 risk!

What's the latest COMPUTER virus?  There's your risk!  😉

More seriously -- I'm looking at  https://www.gencon.com/host/thirdpartyplatforms  and it looks like they don't really have any "official" or "preferred" VTT platform (though they do cite 4 by name, so that's something), nor do they do techsupport or offer any special advantages for GM's.

I think that's a bit of a shame, honestly... I'd have liked to see them reach out and maybe throw a bit of extra cash at their four named VTT's (Roll20, FG, Astral, & d20pro) to have more techsupport staff on-duty during their events, maybe even some dedicated support staff :

This list of platforms is provided to assist event hosts discover resources to run their events. This is not an exclusive list, nor does this list imply that Gen Con specifically endorses the use of any of these platforms.

& :

• Gen Con does not provide technical support for any third-party platform; contact the platforms directly with any issues.
  • Gen Con will not provide a platform nor access to a third-party platform to host events online. Event organizers are responsible for researching what will be suitable for their event.

I get that they're struggling to pull ANYTHING together this year.

Kudo's to them for making it happen!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 6/6/2020 at 1:34 AM, Jeff said:

Sorry you feel that way, I am happy Loz has responded in the spirit. I do feel you are being harsh though. I am vary happy to be able to attend fo my first and possibly (very likely) last time be it virtual or not and will be. I am sad that you are angry with my happiness. 

On 6/6/2020 at 1:34 AM, Jeff said:

Are you going to Online Gen Con this year?

I think I did this already, Jeff

43 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I think I did this already, Jeff

I think Jeff was talking about the big tangent that happened about large gatherings and covid19, but it looks like all those messages have now been deleted from this thread -- that's weird, I haven't seen this kind of moderation before on these forums.... especially since now it makes it look like Jeff is angry at nothing.

(unless I imagined it? I'm pretty sure there used to be another half-dozen messages there?)

Edited by lordabdul
  • Thanks 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

10 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

I think Jeff was talking about the big tangent that happened about large gatherings and covid19, but it looks like all those messages have now been deleted from this thread -- that's weird, I haven't seen this kind of moderation before on these forums.... especially since now it makes it look like Jeff is angry at nothing.

Thanks very kindly lordabdul, I was trying to think what controversial thang I might have done First time here since thursday so I missed all that. Thanks for the deletions @Jeff! I would rather not see people jumping on what was meant to be a nice thought, not an invitation to be anything less than positive.. Changed the sad to a thanks, as a result.

Cheers
...and I still hope to see you all there. I will be the one of the ones with microphones looking for victims. Bwhahaha!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lordabdul said:

... it looks like all those messages have now been deleted from this thread -- that's weird, I haven't seen this kind of moderation before on these forums.... especially since now it makes it look like Jeff is angry at nothing.

(unless I imagined it? I'm pretty sure there used to be another half-dozen messages there?)

I'm pretty sure it has indeed happened before.

That's the thing about this kind of mod-action... you don't see it, unless you saw the original/offending/offtopic posts.

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 minutes ago, g33k said:

That's the thing about this kind of mod-action... you don't see it, unless you saw the original/offending/offtopic posts.

Usually the removal is annotated with a message from the mods saying "there was some tangent here, it's been removed, now watch yourself everyone". Removing messages is good -- removing them without a notice is bad IMHO.

Anyway back to the OP... I've never been to Gen Con myself, but I registered for the online Gen Con because, well, it's free so why not? I have no idea how useful it will be for me... there have been a couple of online conventions in the past couple months (including our local Terminal City Tabletop Convention here in Vancouver), but if I'm home I'll be invariably distracted by the kids and other household activities and I end up missing 80% of the con anyway. I'm hoping to be able to catch a couple interesting panels this time.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !