Premade characters?

Hiro Protagonist

I was looking for some premade characters to introduce people to Runequest. I know that the Quick start has some, but I was hoping to find characters I could use for the Gamemaster Adventures or the recent scenario packs. The Gamemaster Adventures book says it has premade adventurers, but I was unclear which of the NPCs were appropriate for them, if any, or if the scenarios have characters to give to newer players.

1 hour ago, Hiro Protagonist said:

The Gamemaster Adventures book says it has premade adventurers, but I was unclear which of the NPCs were appropriate for them, if any, or if the scenarios have characters to give to newer players.

The Gamemaster Screen pack should have come with the same pregens as are in the Quickstart. In the physical they're each an individual sheet, and in the PDF I think they were under NPC sheets or something slightly odd. They're written up in the core rulebook too. I don't think there's any differences between the GM Screen Pack & the core but I'm not 100% certain (and I have no clue what/how much difference there is with the Quickstart).

I believe those pregens are intended to be suitable for use with any of the currently released material.

• Thanks 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

1 hour ago, Hiro Protagonist said:

The Gamemaster Adventures book says it has premade adventurers, but I was unclear which of the NPCs were appropriate for them, if any, or if the scenarios have characters to give to newer players.

The Gamemaster Adventures comes in a pack with a bunch of stuff (GM screen, calendar, etc.). One of those things should be a pack of pregen characters. These are slightly updated versions of the Quickstart pregens: Vasana, Yanioth, Harmast, and so on.

Do you have the PDF or printed version of the RQG GM pack? If you have the PDF only version, you might have missed that PDF file in the dozen files that make up the archive.

(edit: Crel beat me by a few seconds it seems!)

Edited by lordabdul
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

6 hours ago, Hiro Protagonist said:

I was unclear which of the NPCs were appropriate for them, if any, or if the scenarios have characters to give to newer players.

Vasana, Yanioth, Harmast, Natham, Vostor, Sorala,  & Vishi.

All are suitable for newer players. I've used them all dozens of times for demo games (49 games so far) with new and old players. A few extra notes:

Vasana & Yanioth are half sisters.

Vasana, Harmast & Vishi are mounted, the others on foot.

Natham & Vishi have sidekicks (a hunting cat and talking baboon respectively).

Vostor is a former Lunar soldier. Now fighting against the corrupt empire - still worships foreign gods.

The following two are normally considered "advanced" characters. However they are popular choices for beginners.

Sorala can use sorcery as well as rune and spirit magic. This has never been a problem in a game.

Vishi is an assistant shaman, so has a slightly different perspective than the others. This has never been a problem in a game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

3 hours ago, David Scott said:

Vostor is a former Lunar soldier. Now fighting against the corrupt empire - still worships foreign gods.

You forgot to mention that Vostor is AWESOME and it's a privilege to be trusted to play him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crel said:

I believe those pregens are intended to be suitable for use with any of the currently released material.

Yes, I believe that's the case. My strong advice to scenario writers, incidentally, would be to consider how well the pregens would do in your adventure - is it something they'd get involved with, are there hooks to draw them in, are there enough things to keep the scholar, the shaman, the priestess etc. interested and involved? They're a great party, and thinking about how they'd tackle scenes is a useful mental workout.  

To think I have spent two whole days making premades for 2nd ed one shot of Balastors Barracks, while I could rework these.

The players ended up playing a buddy cop team of Yelmic noble and Lodrili spearman. And they have actually managed to get the axe (after burning down solid half of the map)