Heroquest Glorantha just for lore and pretty pictures?

Zanthu42

I received my copy of the RuneQuest - Roleplaying in Glorantha - Slipcase Set two days ago. There is a ton of Glorantha info in there, but I want more and I am ordering the Glorantha Sourcebook today.

Between the RQG books and the sourcebook, would it be worth getting Heroquest Glorantha just for lore, pictures, diagrams, maps, etc? I am afraid there would be too much overlap and it would not be worth it, but it is on sale right now...

1 hour ago, Zanthu42 said:

would it be worth getting Heroquest Glorantha just for lore, pictures, diagrams, maps, etc? I am afraid there would be too much overlap and it would not be worth it, but it is on sale right now...

It is the rules book for the Heroquest Glorantha game system.  Obviously, there is nothing RQG specific.  On the whole, you might find bits and pieces of use, and some nice art, but it goes through:  character creation, runes, using the game system (with extended examples), relevant cult writeups, and other races. There's about 10 pages at the end that outlines a possible scenario - something that you could use as a scenario outline for RQG, though would have to create stats, etc.  There's some description of heroquesting generally and Illumination which could also spark ideas (but from an RQG perspective will be superseded by the GM book and the Gods/Cults books respectively).  If you want to check it out - you might just pick up the pdf version of it, see if you find enough of interest, and if you do pick up the hardcover as well.

Of items currently on sale, I would probably recommend the Coming Storm and the Eleven Lights first as those would give you a full clan/tribe setting (the Red Cow clan amidst the Cinsina), and a series of story arcs/scenarios that could be readily adapted to RQG.

• Like 1

The rule book is probably the least useful thing from HQ for Glorantha lore, but S:KoH, tCS, t11L as well as older books like the HW Glorantha book, Anaxial’s Roster, Thunder Rebels, and (especially!) Storm Tribe are very worthwhile. 

I refer to S:KoH and a Storm Tribe all the time. By far the best descriptions of Holy Days anywhere, for instance.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Westnovote said:

I would dearly love to be able to get some of the Hero Wars and Hero Quest material, but finding it is a challenge.  

https://www.chaosium.com/heroquest/   if you speak pdf 🙂

I'd also be aware that there are differences in Glorantha between the two game engine versions of the world we all love. Not that there isn't a huge amount that's useful and not that it matters in your game. However there ARE differences in how runes and cults work and in timeline. In particular RQG is set in 1625 after the Dragonrise and stuff has changed. There is also a lot more Bronze Age feel to RQG. None of this matters a jot in your home game but can cause confusion if you're not aware of the differences and are expecting the two strands to blend together seamlessly.  Likewise some of the maps and city descriptions are not consistent between the two. So be aware of that upfront but there is a huge amount of stuff that's useful 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone. Very helpful. The more I read RQG, the more I am realizing it is going to take a while to absorb just the info in there. I have the sourcebook on the way, but based on your replies I think I will hold off on other sources for now.

Glorantha is an amazing setting (very "alive" and "beleivable" in a weird way), and Runequest is definitely the best BRP based system I have seen. I played a lot of CoC and Elric in the past, but somehow missed Runequest. I plan to make up for that now.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Westnovote said:

I would dearly love to be able to get some of the Hero Wars and Hero Quest material, but finding it is a challenge.  I did manage to find a battered copy of Glorantha: Introduction to the Hero Wars on eBay, but despite regularly looking I have yet to see any other material.

You can also try Amazon: I found several HW books (Storm Tribe, Thunder Rebels...) for less than 15$ each, in very good condition. Here in France, I also bought some on PriceMinister (now a property of Rakuten).

I do agree with Jajagappa and Akhôrahil: for lore, do prefer Eleven Lights, Coming Storm, Sartar Kingdom of Heroes, Thunder Rebels, Storm Tribe. Then, if one day you're willing to try running a HW/HQ campaign, even with HQ3 core rules, Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribe will still be essential...

On eBay I always see at least a couple items for almost any book from Classic RQ and Hero Wars / HeroQuest. A few (like the Glorantha Classic "Pavis & Big Rubble") have ridiculous price tags, but I think most of the rest is decent. Using Saved Searches helps, and making sure to look for, say, both "herowars" and "hero wars". But then again, there are the PDFs on Chaosium's website.

I also agree that if you really have money and shelf place to spare after having bought the RQG books, the Sourcebook, and maybe the Guide to Glorantha, then The Coming Storm and The Eleven Lights are the best first books to get from the HQG line... that is, unless you're interested in checking out the HQG rules themselves, as a narrative and rules-light alternative to RQG's retro-crunch.

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

5 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

A few (like the Glorantha Classic "Pavis & Big Rubble") have ridiculous price tags, but I think most of the rest is decent.

Yes, I also frequently see some crazy offers, with books > 100$, even when they are still available at regular prices on Chaosium's website (HQ3...)!!! Generally when sellers see that these books will be soon off sale... And that's the case with many RPGs unfortunately: french HW edition, Amber Diceless RPG, Thoan, vintage D&D... Same problem here with original french productions like Bitume or Bloodlust, that are not even available in regular PDFs!!!! I only see two ways reacting to this:

• buying regular/legal PDFs when available (Chaosium, DriveThru...). It's generally cheap, and the money goes finally to the creators!
  • survey private offers hoping that I finally find decent prices. You have to be patient, but it's really working! Over the years, I was able to build a quite decent RPG collection (mainly Chaosium products). Just have to be patient and resolute...

It's of course a matter of personal resources, but for me there's no way to spend more in a book than its regular price. I'm not Rotschild nor the Red Emperor... unfortunately... 😁

1 hour ago, Loïc said:

You have to be patient,

You're right, of course, but I feel this is my weakness!

Sellers on Amazon inflate to ridiculous levels in my experience.  eBay is a better option but there are still slim pickings.  Abe Books seems a good place to keep an eye on.  Any other locations people are willing to share?  (I realise that more experienced collectors are likely to want to guard their resources closely)

8 hours ago, Westnovote said:

You're right, of course, but I feel this is my weakness!

Sellers on Amazon inflate to ridiculous levels in my experience.  eBay is a better option but there are still slim pickings.  Abe Books seems a good place to keep an eye on.  Any other locations people are willing to share?  (I realise that more experienced collectors are likely to want to guard their resources closely)

It's worth keeping an eye on Half-Price Books as well. I picked up nine of the old RQ2 and RQ3 box sets there last year for between a quarter and a half of what Noble Knight was asking for them.

• Thanks 2

Ludospherik is where I found the Cults Compendium, if I remember correctly.  NobleKnight, WayneBooks, and Shop On The Borderlands have all provided me with many old books in very good shape. For the rest, it's eBay.

Edited by lordabdul
  • Thanks 2

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !