Where in Glorantha?

Mankcam

Anyone have any real-world inspiration for Gloranthan terrain?

I stumbled across this video, and perhaps this could be the mountain ranges throughout Dragon Pass...:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/186483277

Feel free to post pics/videos of your own inspiration for Gloranthan geography!

Edited by Mankcam
  • Thanks 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Looks good! 

Jeff made some comments a while ago about climate and look of Dragon Pass, and I believe he brought up parts of the Rockies as inspiration (it might've been Colorado, I'm afraid I forgot exactly) as well as the mountains in the Balkans. 
In other words, this seems like a great reference. :D

• Like 1

Yes I can't remember if I read that here or in the Glorantha FB group. 

Years ago I read that Greg Stafford initially received geographical inspiration for Dragon Pass and Prax from North American terrain, and this has been confirmed many times since. Not to say that Europe isn't a good analogy, the Alps, the Balkans etc.

But I do like to keep the Americana flavour for Dragon Pass & Prax, as it makes it feel more unique when you add the ancient world-influenced cultures to it. So I am using the Sierra Nevada range and the American Rockies for alot of my geographical references for Dragon Pass, lots of redwood forests and such, and some of the more dry forest lands as such - this fits the impressions I get of Bush Range and places like that..

Sticking with alot of Arizona (and similar terrain) for Prax. However, whilst Arizona is certainly my biggest reference for Prax, I also throw in some influences from Western Australia as well:

image.png.66bb7c81ae36a74102133b4d35bba6bf.png

image.png.af419e15a920a887a526880beb8b6337.png

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 2

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Dara Happa being a rice-growing region in the upper parts of the continent, with historically cold winters, has always made me think of the greater Great Lakes region of North America in terms of what it's like visually. As such, this may be a picture of Rist before the Moonburn, or Erigia before the Skyburn (Hartwick Pines State Park in Michigan):

hartwick-pines-state-park-summer.jpg

• Like 2

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

Cool, thanks for the above link!

Interesting to see that Greg envisoned Big Sur for the Manirian Coast - I was not aware of that - however, it certainly makes sense

image.png.65d75eff3aed9803f38cb868990a161f.png

It's pretty cool, as when I was last down on the Great Ocean Road (Victoria, Australia), I remember thinking that this could be what the New Coast of Maniria must be like, well in summer anyway, and it turns out that it fits Greg's vision reasonably well

image.png.a7a9eba8a93b67802eacb7df7dcdd302.png

image.png.04037ad682369b5e26437d313b562d73.png

Edited by Mankcam

3 hours ago, Mankcam said:

Cool, thanks for the above link!

Interesting to see that Greg envisoned Big Sur for the Manirian Coast - I was not aware of that - however, it certainly makes sense

image.png.65d75eff3aed9803f38cb868990a161f.png

It's pretty cool, as when I was last down on the Great Ocean Road (Victoria, Australia), I remember thinking that this could be what the New Coast of Maniria must be like, well in summer anyway, and it turns out that it fits Greg's vision reasonably well

image.png.a7a9eba8a93b67802eacb7df7dcdd302.png

image.png.04037ad682369b5e26437d313b562d73.png

I bet the surfing's goodin Maniria. You can find those crazy Indlas Somer worshippers around there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I keep banging this drum every time the topic comes up, but my personal nomination for the RW stand-in for the Zola Fel valley and the surrounding plains in Prax is the Channeled Scablands of Washington and the Palouse of the Pacific Northwest.

scablands-MM8155_130512_6280.ngsversion.1489097020520.adapt_.590.1.jpg

Larsen and Lamb apply their new model to the “channeled scablands” in eastern Washington State, an area that, like some on Mars, has very deep canyons cut into fractured basalt bedrock.

38.jpg

The Channeled Scabland in eastern Washington - Drumheller Channels.

!i!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green