Rune Quest Classic Campaign

Bill the barbarian

I am potentially interested. I’m very new to RuneQuest and Glorantha having only bought the books in the past few weeks but know my way around Call of Cthulhu. Ive never played or read any of the campaigns from the classic days. I have read parts of the RQ2 rule book and Gringles pawnshop from Apple Lane (not rainbow mound though). 

The potential part comes from my location. I’m based in the U.K. so time is a bit of an issue. It really depends on how late it runs. As you can tell from the time I post this at I am a bit of a night owl but if it runs past 10 or 11pm that’s 3-4am here and that would be my limit. I wouldn’t commit to an open ended campaign based on US time but I can do 6 weeks ok. Also I’m already committed Tuesdays and Wednesdays so depends on that as well. 

It would replace my usual game for the 6 weeks or so it would play... Everything in the OP except this being a one-off pick-up game still holds true. I was thinking of Gringle's Pawnshop but if you end up playing I will have change that. I hope to play from 900 hours to 1300 hours GMT -6. This would be a chance to see the game in practice for a short period of time while my usual group discovers travel, romance and freedom before the next wave’s lockdown. 

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Are you sure you mean 9:00-13:00? That would be 9:00am-1:00pm so morning to early afternoon. If that is correct then it would be a very pleasant early afternoon game for me!

As for Gringles pawnshop you could still run it. I wasn’t reading it with an eye to running it or anything just as bedtime reading and don’t remember it very clearly. If it becomes necessary I can DM you what I remember and you change aspects of the adventure to confound me. I could also take a backseat in any planning aspects or solving puzzles (not that I remember a lot of puzzles but still). 

Would be very nice to take part in a series of sessions while I learn the rules before introducing Glorantha to my group in person. 

The Irishman playing in my regular winter game seems to do alright by it. Still, I am incredibly reluctant to run a game that someone has read recently. In my regular game a member or two read some of the games I run, but about 40 years ago so just with dementia alone there is memory attrition never mind the decades toll, as well. Plus they understand the game and are GMs, so acting accordingly is natural... but for me I do not see the attraction of knowing what is coming... Main reason for my hatred of spoilers, I suppose.

11 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

The Irishman playing in my regular winter game seems to do alright by it. Still, I am incredibly reluctant to run a game that someone has read recently. In my regular game a member or two read some of the games I run, but about 40 years ago so just with dementia alone there is memory attrition never mind the decades toll, as well. Plus they understand the game and are GMs, so acting accordingly is natural... but for me I do not see the attraction of knowing what is coming... Main reason for my hatred of spoilers, I suppose.

Before I commit could you clear up my confusion regarding the times? Do you normally run 9am-1pm GMT-6 or 9pm-1am GMT-6? 

As for the Gringles Pawnshop thing it was if you are comfortable with the idea and how set you were on using that as the starter adventure. I'm not familiar with the RQ system yet but I do run CoC and D&D games so can keep a lid on metagame elements. I myself don't mind if I play an adventure I've already read, I mean I'm obviously not going to read stuff beforehand to cheat but under these circumstances I'm happy to play the scenario (just to reemphasise as long as you are comfortable with it). 

11 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

So, that’s a possible three, if everyone likes the hours and the trip to the past using classic scenarios. 

The trip to the past sounds great! What I like to do when playing a scenario is afterwards reading it and seeing all the different paths and how the GM ran it, really helps me learn to be better at running it. Of course I check beforehand to make sure that I'm not inadvertently going to spoil anything by doing this... 

2 hours ago, glassneedles said:

As for the Gringles Pawnshop thing it was if you are comfortable with the idea and how set you were on using that as the starter adventure. I'm not familiar with the RQ system yet but I do run CoC and D&D games so can keep a lid on metagame elements. I myself don't mind if I play an adventure I've already read, I mean I'm obviously not going to read stuff beforehand to cheat but under these circumstances I'm happy to play the scenario (just to reemphasise as long as you are comfortable with it). 

13 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Absolutely not, I would not enjoy it. In a campaign, perhaps, in a one off where I am following the module closely, and there is no reason for anything other then the text provided (no subplots that will be built up over a number of games, for instance), I can see the player having a touch of familiarity in the campaign but when he knows if he pushed this rock this will happen.... not interested in running such a game. So if you join in, we will not play this game. Are there others you have read?

. Of course I check beforehand to make sure that I'm not inadvertently going to spoil anything by doing this... 

and I do hate spoilers!

Before I commit could you clear up my confusion regarding the times? Do you normally run 9am-1pm GMT-6 or 9pm-1am GMT-6? 

0900 hours and 1300 hours have only one meaning. They can not be interpreted in more than one way. Main reason I use ‘em. This is the 24 hour clock. 1 AM is 0100 hours or “O" one hundred hours. 1 PM is 1300 hours or thirteen hundred hours. Always. This is used for anyone working around the clock. I find it easy for talking to fereners across timezones!

ETA

So why do I run modules if I don’t spice them up. Improv is cool, but a lot of work. If I am going to devote this much time I will be wanting more than a couple of games. So, yes, improv is cool and so is using a script written by pros that are probably better than you at it. For me the story is the thing and everything else is setting, theme, props, dialogue and things that go into making the story. For a short game and a demo I am unwilling to go to the depth improvising or writing a game would require.

In any case that is what I am doing and advertising for. People not familiar with the modules. 

Edited by Bill the barbarian

18 hours ago, Agentorange said:

Glorantha was one of the elves in Lord of the Rings, he was played by Liv Tyler in the movies

Must be good, then, thanks!

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 5 weeks later...

Just finished a playtest of a great Cult of Chaos Scenario winner from a couple of years back, "Trouble at Days Rest".  Had a great time, but played with 66 percent newbies. This time, looking for knowledgeable players of RQ, Roll20 (familiarity will be good, but we will be playing more of a Theatre of the Mind with visual aids game rather than a war-game/battle-mat type game) and Skype to try it one more time (with feeling). Can play anytime this week or next. Game will last from 0900 hours to 1500 hours GMT-6. 

Willing to run one game with newbies but really want experienced players first and then if I have enough requests with newbies will try for a newbies game as well. A newbies game will take two days.

This game will be run at a convention after the play test, so:

a/ must not have played or know story of Trouble at Days Rest ( I mean, really). 
b/ must be willing to not mention the play test or its results until after GenCon... No spoilers SVP so we will do a hand shake Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA). 
c/ must not want to play it at Gen Con... (nobody would do that, right? That’s cheating, no?)
d/ willing to commit to one day's play for 6 hours with Intro, Break and Post Mortem included (two days of five hours if you are a newbie and if we get enough response to have an experienced group as well as a newbie group).
e/ RQRiG rule book, Skype account, Roll20 Account

f/ and most important: a sense of fun and a desire to help out! 

Will need your email address for your Roll20 and Skype accounts.

PM moi with days you can play in the next two weeks and check that you meet all the requirements above. 

Cheers

Bill, that sounds wonderful! I'd be interested. Over the years I've played and GMed, RQ2, RQ3,and RiG so I'm somewhat experienced.

a/ Have not played or read Trouble at Days Rest.
b/ I've playtested some other games in the past and I'm very comfortable with an NDA handshake or otherwise.
c/ I won't be attending Gen Con, so not playing is a given.
d/ Getting to play for 6 hours in one day sounds heavenly.
e/ I have: RQRiG rule book, Skype account, and a Roll20 Account (I use and have used Roll20 as a player and a GM, so somewhat familiar.)

f/ I hope I have a sense of fun and I'm perfectly willing to help out! 

• Like 1

Jinkies, as Velma would say. Yer not a meddlesome kid is ya? Like that Ian fella? Oh, did I mention it was a mystery! Bring a pencil and notepad... maybe a knife... to sharpen the pencil, of course (what did you think it was for?)!

Edited by Bill the barbarian