BRP Imperial China - English vs Chinese names

GianniVacca

I am wondering whether I should keep as many Chinese names as possible for the sense of immersion in Chinese culture, or if I should translate as many of those into English to make them understandable by the average BRP player who doesn't know anything about the Chinese language.

I feel both options have their advantage and their drawback.

I am currently leaning towards mostly translating the Chinese terms, and only keeping them for 'established' cultural elements, e.g., I have translated the names of the weapons (Monk's spade sounds way better than yuèyáchǎn) but not those of the martial arts (I think qínná is more evocative than catch and lock).

As always, feedback is welcome :)

I am wondering whether I should keep as many Chinese names as possible for the sense of immersion in Chinese culture, or if I should translate as many of those into English to make them understandable by the average BRP player who doesn't know anything about the Chinese language.

I am currently leaning towards mostly translating the Chinese terms, and only keeping them for 'established' cultural elements, e.g., I have translated the names of the weapons (Monk's spade sounds way better than yuèyáchǎn) but not those of the martial arts (I think qínná is more evocative than catch and lock).

As always, feedback is welcome :)

How about a short lexicon? Something similar to whats found at the beginning of a lot of historical novels; Old town name -> Modern Name, Thing -> Translation. This type of device is often accompanied by a short section on pronunciation.

Alternately, you could use the Chinese with the translation in parenthesis.

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary

How about a short lexicon?

Yes, there will be a (long) lexicon. But a given term that is going to be used over and over again must have some kind of form that is going to be used consistently throughout the text.

I very much agree with RosenMcStern, about 20 foreign language terms

seems to be the upper limit for me, too, especially for players with no pre-

vious interest in China and the Chinese culture.

In my experience roleplaying settings with lots of unusual / foreign langua-

ge terms (e.g. Empire of the Petal Throne, Skyrealms of Jorune) have a

tendency to frighten new players, because they feel uncomfortable with

strange words whose meaning they do not fully comprehend - they often

feel more "foreign" to the setting because of this.

Besides, if you provide the long lexicon you mentioned, those players who

prefer to use more Chinese terms to support their immersion can take the

terms from there and replace the translations as they please.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Not being as bright as many of the other posters, even 20 unfamiliar terms to memorize is a lot for me.

Perhaps having everything in "English (Chinese)" form would allow each of us to pick and choose what ones to learn. E.g. Monk's Spade (yuèyáchǎn)

That makes the book accessible on the first read, and rewards subsequent reading with additional insight and recognition.

While the lexicon is a good idea, it is another barrier to a first reading & adoption (I can almost hear my brain reeling, "Whoa, lots of words to memorize and I was never very good at languages...maybe this is too complex for me"). I would definitely put the lexicon at the end of the book rather than near the beginning.

I think the Tekumel example is a good one. While that looks cool, there were just too many new things for a GM to assimilate before running it competently. Most of us just put it back on the shelf.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

When I wrote up the Bashkorts for Mythic Russia's Birchbark Chronicles, I had the same problem. What I decided to do was to keep some Russian/Bashkort terms where their words were short, easy to pronounce and meant a single, specific thing, but use English terms for the majority of words. So, I used tamga for the clan sign/markings because it is a specific term, and batyr for a mounted-warrior-hero, as it is a very emotive term.

If you have a lexicon then people will either continually refer to it or learn the terms. I wouldn't make it too long, though, just a single page is probably about right.

You'd probably need a guide as to how to pronounce the terms as well as I might have a stab at qínná but wouldn't have a clue at yuèyáchǎn.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I used batyr for a mounted-warrior-hero, as it is a very emotive term.

Interestingly, the Hungarian term for a mounted warrior hero is bátor. It is also very emotive.

You'd probably need a guide as to how to pronounce the terms as well as I might have a stab at qínná but wouldn't have a clue at yuèyáchǎn.

Yes, this will be present. At the same time, it is not too important: the current transcription of Chinese is based on the Pekingese pronunciation of Mandarin, which is very, very distant from what Middle Chinese sounded.