Only one POW-gain roll per season?

Scorus

3 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Another thing that I wonder about is whether the gods and spirits benefit from larger MP sacrifices. Because if they do, then a culture that said "screw it, we won't just sacrifice 2 MPs at holy days, we're going to do 10 MPs instead, and as often as we can!" would actually feed their god/spirit into higher strength at a very marginal personal cost.

I think the window to sacrifice is the holy days. If you sacrifice outside, yes you lose your MP, but the god cannot "gain" them. And that the same for the number : the god may gain a soul point (one point by soul sacrificing mp) and not the mp : the larger MP sacrifice may be only benefit to the worshipper (the bonus).

A true sacrifice would be POW sacrifice not a lot of mp.

9 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

A true sacrifice would be POW sacrifice not a lot of mp.

I kinda agree - MP sacrifices give pretty good bonuses compared to sacrificial animals or actually valuable goods, while still having barely any cost to the worshiper. This tilts the entire system - no-one in their right mind should sacrifice anything of value when MPs work as well or better and at essentially no cost.

This is part of a wider issue with MPs - they're supposed to limit what you can do with magic, but don't really because of speedy regain and easy access to storage. 

1 minute ago, jajagappa said:

As long as you've conducted a Worship service successfully on sanctified ground, I think your god can gain the MP.  

At the very least, weekly - as a an initiate, you need to sacrifice 2 MPs weekly just to remain in good standing, and it's hard to imagine that the god doesn't benefit from these sacrifices.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

I kinda agree - MP sacrifices give pretty good bonuses compared to sacrificial animals or actually valuable goods, while still having barely any cost to the worshiper. This tilts the entire system - no-one in their right mind should sacrifice anything of value when MPs work as well or better and at essentially no cost.

This is part of a wider issue with MPs - they're supposed to limit what you can do with magic, but don't really because of speedy regain and easy access to storage. 

To increase the value of the sacrifices, I play that the roll has to be below the skill value plus modifiers not counting the MP to earn an exp check. But the full value is used for the success and the result of the worship roll.

On 1/14/2021 at 4:22 AM, French Desperate WindChild said:

I m for the GM choice, but an  inexperimented GM has less choices than other, and it is particulary true in a so rich world than glorantha, where rules are more focus on players than on balance of the world.

So it could be good to have somewhere some gm helps to explain what is behind the rules

Ah!  I get it now.  I misunderstood "who" was having the problem.  Honestly your example does raise an interesting question.  Why aren't the world mechanics being followed by the NPCs for the benefit of the NPC's? 

I just play it that the world is "semi-static".  The pushy clan champion that you hated last year is the same, but you got better faster.  The clan ring members are in even worse shape, as they have almost zero time to work in adventuring skills and such. 

My assumption has always been that the PC's are "favored by the gods" or similarly exceptional in some way.  Or they just have more free time and inclination to pursue very dangerous, and often violent inclinations.   I also GM that some NPCs are similarly blessed.  These do increase in power, have the same stats as the PC's, and fight as intelligently as the PCs.  Sometimes more so. 

• Like 2