Probably Typical Stupid Question from Newcomer to Glorantha

LordNigel

Hey there! I am positive that this has been asked previously, but from my searches I couldn't find explicit answers, so since I've learned that the community has a "we are all us" philosophy, I hope I won't be a bother for asking this...

I am absolutely in love with the idea behind Glorantha and I have read some things here and there to get in touch with the myths and names, but as usual it's hard to know where to begin (don't worry, that's not the crux of my question).

I have purchased all current RQG books in physical form and have the PDFs as well. I also have the HeroQuest main book (the most recent edition) and the Sourcebook. In terms of PDFs, I have basically acquired everything that I could. I have Cult Compendium, Pavis & Big Rubble, etc, as well as the Sartar/Sartar Companion/11 lights books, some old classics like Apple Lane, Dorastor, etc etc. Everything that people say "Oh yeah, that one is  a must", I think I have it.

I also am more or less aware of how to proceed in getting to know the lore. I should read the main Runequest Glorantha book as well as the Sourcebook at first. Then I think I will explore the Cult Compendium as I need.

So what is the problem? The problem is that people mention the importance of infinite volumes but I don't see people discussing their compatibility. I hear a lot about the Apple Lane adventures, but I don't know how compatible that is with the new RQG system. I AM aware that the system is different and that we already have an official document for converting character stats, but that doesn't tell me if this alone makes those adventures "GM-able" with ease.

I want to know to what extent I can use "classic" material at the table, basically. I assume that as far as lore goes, I can use whatever I want, because it's the info that counts. But what about classic adventures? Is it easy to just get some modern monster/NPC stats from current material and just follow the old books? Will I run into some deadly pitfalls?
One of my greatest interests is to run Apple Lane, because I know it's a fond memory for old-school fans, and I want my table to have that memory. I know that the current Gamemaster Pack (which I own) has a "revamp" of Apple Lane (at least it's what it looks like), but I don't know if they are interchangeable of if they're completely different animals.

Then I go to Heroquest stuff. How easily can I get story ideas from Heroquest books and apply them to Runequest. Or, considering that I HAVE the Heroquest main book, would it be more interesting to alternate between systems and just GM The Red Cow and such adventures directly in Heroquest for my players?

I also get quite confused when it comes to the ages. As far a I can understand (from the books and discussions), each iteration of Glorantha RPG systems focuses on a specific time. How big of a deal is that? Does that make Heroquest adventures difficult to play in RQG due to different ages being expected by the mechanics? How easy is it to use a different age as a setting without changing systems?

Well, I think that's it.
Please forgive the ominous wall-of-text™ and I hope somebody finally helps me put these questions to rest.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LordNigel said:

Hey there! I am positive that this has been asked previously, but from my searches I couldn't find explicit answers, so since I've learned that the community has a "we are all us" philosophy, I hope I won't be a bother for asking this...

Having a stupid question if you wish to assert you are with us is a great idea... but usually only the lunars espouse it in the manner you did!

I have purchased all current RQG books in physical form and have the PDFs as well. I also have the HeroQuest main book (the most recent edition) and the Sourcebook. In terms of PDFs, I have basically acquired everything that I could. I have Cult Compendium, Pavis & Big Rubble, etc, as well as the Sartar/Sartar Companion/11 lights books, some old classics like Apple Lane, Dorastor, etc etc. Everything that people say "Oh yeah, that one is  a must", I think I have it.

You have all you need, I started with RQ 2 core rules, cults of prax and griffin mountain, it was all I needed to start.

I also am more or less aware of how to proceed in getting to know the lore. I should read the main Runequest Glorantha book as well as the Sourcebook at first. Then I think I will explore the Cult Compendium as I need.

Sure, that will work!

So what is the problem? The problem is that people mention the importance of infinite volumes but I don't see people discussing their compatibility. I hear a lot about the Apple Lane adventures, but I don't know how compatible that is with the new RQG system. I AM aware that the system is different and that we already have an official document for converting character stats, but that doesn't tell me if this alone makes those adventures "GM-able" with ease.

Depending on your skill and comfort level they are all compatible to a greater or lesser degree. Hell, I have run CoC (another fine BRP game) modules in Glorantha! 

I want to know to what extent I can use "classic" material at the table, basically. I assume that as far as lore goes, I can use whatever I want, because it's the info that counts. But what about classic adventures? Is it easy to just get some modern monster/NPC stats from current material and just follow the old books? Will I run into some deadly pitfalls?

Currently running a classic game with RQG rules. I still struggle to convince one of my players to relax, he is more than powerful enough to be in the game what with the 1000 odd ability percentiles one gets in modern character generation, but beyond that it seems to be okay. So to what extent can you use "classic" material at the table... I am using it 100%! I give a couple of extra spells and RPs and runes. To tell you the truth I do not even use passions as presented RAW for the NPCs. I use them as guides.

One of my greatest interests is to run Apple Lane, because I know it's a fond memory for old-school fans, and I want my table to have that memory. I know that the current Gamemaster Pack (which I own) has a "revamp" of Apple Lane (at least it's what it looks like), but I don't know if they are interchangeable of if they're completely different animals.

Currently running Rainbow Mounds! Finished Munchrooms recently.  

Then I go to Heroquest stuff. How easily can I get story ideas from Heroquest books and apply them to Runequest. Or, considering that I HAVE the Heroquest main book, would it be more interesting to alternate between systems and just GM The Red Cow and such adventures directly in Heroquest for my players?

I do intend to run the 2nd Apple Lane from HQ with the current party (you have been warned guys and gals! No peeking). Jeff Richard suggests that you do not need very many stats and that running RQ as a story with much handwavium for the NPCs would be fine. Considering how rules light HQ is, this is good! David Scott even has some notes on how to very quickly stat up a non-stated HQ adventurer that I (or someone else?) could find for you. 

I also get quite confused when it comes to the ages. As far a I can understand (from the books and discussions), each iteration of Glorantha RPG systems focuses on a specific time. How big of a deal is that? Does that make Heroquest adventures difficult to play in RQG due to different ages being expected by the mechanics? How easy is it to use a different age as a setting without changing systems?

Usually not a great deal...

Keep on with the stupid questions if you wish to be part of the community. Oh and good luck with the game. Don’t sweat the petty things
(and even more important, don’t pet the sweaty things)!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

19 minutes ago, LordNigel said:

Well, I think that's it.
Please forgive the ominous wall-of-text™ and I hope somebody finally helps me put these questions to rest.

The big difference is that the Lunar presence in old adventures set in Prax and Sartar will not be there in the "present day" and vice versa. This is not really a huge factor for most individual scenarios, because you can just switch things over to the current governmental authority and change the descriptions a bit. The biggest difference will be the Borderlands campaign, which you may or may not have, where you would probably need to do a lot more work to change Duke Raus and his household from Lunars. You could probably use individual adventures from that without large changes, though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

Thank you so much for such quick and detailed replies!

I'm glad to know it's not a big deal to use classic adventures with the new system! The idea of running CoC modules in Glorantha is surely interesting! Maybe "stealing" ideas from the "Cthulhu Invictus" book and substituting Lunars for the Romans!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Eff said:

The big difference is that the Lunar presence in old adventures set in Prax and Sartar will not be there in the "present day" and vice versa. This is not really a huge factor for most individual scenarios, because you can just switch things over to the current governmental authority and change the descriptions a bit. The biggest difference will be the Borderlands campaign, which you may or may not have, where you would probably need to do a lot more work to change Duke Raus and his household from Lunars. You could probably use individual adventures from that without large changes, though. 

From what you are saying, it's a question of adapting, so therefore I can assume this adaptation is necessary? My point was actually running other ages "as is" in the same system. In other words, it the system doesn't deal with Lunars, having them even so, etc. It sounds a bit limiting to have such a vast universe of stories and possibilities and having to limit ourselves to a certain time frame.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LordNigel said:

Ask away anyway, we don't mind. Someone might be able to point you to other, similar threads as well.

48 minutes ago, LordNigel said:

As a percentile, since that is RQ through and through:

• RQ2/RQ Classic: 90% Compatible (Just reduce treasure by a factor of 10, remember that some skills are renamed and NPCs won't have Runes or Passions)
  • RQ3: 80% Compatible (Just reduce treasure by a factor of 5, remember that some skills are renamed, NPCs won't have Runes or Passions and will have odd Strike Ranks, Hit Locations and Hit Points, I just use the stats in the books and let the Players tell me the location they rolled)
  • RQ6: 50% Compatible (Major differences in spells, skills and almost everything)
  • RQ4/5: 50% Compatible (Major differences in spells, skills and almost everything, but 70% Compatible with RQ6)

I don't bother converting and just use the NPC stats in the books, making up spells if I need them.

54 minutes ago, LordNigel said:

You should be OK.

However, it depends on what kind of GM you are.

If you get annoyed because a SIZ 13 CON 13 NPC has 13 Hit Points in RQ3 but 14 Hit Points in RQG then it might drive you crazy. 

If, however, you can get over, or ignore, that then you should be fine.

57 minutes ago, LordNigel said:

Adventures should be OK, I have run the scenarios from the Sartar Rising books using RQ3.

I have a lot of converted HW/HQ material on my website (www.soltakss.com) that might save you converting cults and spells. A lot of it made it into the Book of Doom on the Jonstown Compendium.

Spoiler

• First Age: Discovery, rebuilding, self-awareness, a benevolent but Chaotic empire, ended in a great war that devastated the land.
  • Second Age: The Age of Empires, titanic conflict, God Learers vs the Empire of the Wyrms Friends, ended with the destruction of lands, great wars, the Closing of the Oceans and the Dragonkill.
  • Third Age: The Lunar Age, a benevolent but Chaotic Empire, plucky freedom fighters who oppose them, ends in a great war with the Red moon being torn apart by dragons and the slaying of all the gods on a HeroQuest.

You can switch Ages without a problem.

However, there is no Lunar Empire in the First or Second Age, but they have the Bright Empire and the Middle Sea Empire instead, which are both benevolent but Chaotic Empires.

Hah! Call that a Wall of text? Ask @Bill the barbarian about the first draft of Secrets of HeroQuesting that I sent him!

I hope our answers and discussion helps.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

13 minutes ago, soltakss said:

• RQ2/RQ Classic: 90% Compatible (Just reduce treasure by a factor of 10, remember that some skills are renamed and NPCs won't have Runes or Passions)
  • RQ3: 80% Compatible (Just reduce treasure by a factor of 5, remember that some skills are renamed, NPCs won't have Runes or Passions and will have odd Strike Ranks, Hit Locations and Hit Points, I just use the stats in the books and let the Players tell me the location they rolled)
  • RQ6: 50% Compatible (Major differences in spells, skills and almost everything)
  • RQ4/5: 50% Compatible (Major differences in spells, skills and almost everything, but 70% Compatible with RQ6)

I don't bother converting and just use the NPC stats in the books, making up spells if I need them.

Too emphasize this point there are only 6  pages of conversion on starting on page 432... 
image.png.d61ced924839d3383bfb3e48529d5d4b.png

You should be OK.

If you get annoyed because a SIZ 13 CON 13 NPC has 13 Hit Points in RQ3 but 14 Hit Points in RQG then it might drive you crazy. 

Yep handwave this!

Hah! Call that a Wall of text? Ask @Bill the barbarian about the first draft of Secrets of HeroQuesting that I sent him!

The horror, the horror!

Edited by Bill the barbarian

15 minutes ago, LordNigel said:

From what you are saying, it's a question of adapting, so therefore I can assume this adaptation is necessary? My point was actually running other ages "as is" in the same system. In other words, it the system doesn't deal with Lunars, having them even so, etc. It sounds a bit limiting to have such a vast universe of stories and possibilities and having to limit ourselves to a certain time frame.

Adaptation is necessary but usually in an extremely contextual way. Basically, you can run, at a rough estimate, 90% of everything regardless of time frame, and the remaining 10% is mostly a matter of light adaptation- where it says "Lunar patrol" reading "rival tribe's militia" or something. There are a handful of things that would require heavier adaptation, but those are overall rare. 

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

The largest compatibility matter may be in character strength. The old Apple Lane was meant for freshly minted characters in RQ1/2 -- which tended to mean skill levels in the 25% range and an age of 16 unless you apply (as suggested in the scenario) the "Previous Experience" section of RQ2 (which is way in the back of the book -- my old group in the 80s never even realized that was an option, we started as 16 year olds with minimal armor and likely a small mace; RQ3, OTOH, put that into the character generation phase). RQ2 Previous Experience appears to assume a fixed additional 5 years of age; RQ3 used a die roll to determine age, and had experience modifications based on number of years difference from 15 (1D6 die roll meant minimum 16). Using that Apple Lane in the new rules will likely require greatly increasing the stats of the opponents, besides applying the rules in the Conversion Guide. Most of the opponents in RQ2 Apple Lane are in the 35-45% attack range.

There is about a generation between RQ1/2 Apple Lane and RQ:RiG Apple Lane (the pawn shop is a ruin in the latter). RQ2 seeming to be around 1580-1600. (I can't find any specifics for what the year is in RQ2 -- the timeline goes to 1627 which is just after RQ:RiG "begins"). GM-Pack explicitly states 1625. RQ2 Apple Lane states Gringle moved there 37 years earlier, while the GM-Pack mentions he had run the pawnshop for some 50 years -- doesn't mention when he left or the shop burned down, but a minimum of 14 years (50-37 + 1 for burning) puts RQ2 Apple Lane at 1611.

You may need to pick which Apple Lane scenarios to run due to the differences. Residents are older, pawnshop burned... In the GM-Pack Aileena is 34yo priestess of Uleria (with a 25% attack with club), while RQ2 she's just a (no age stated) initiate with 20% attack. Those NPCs common to both versions do have similar weapon skills... In RQ3's Apple Lane (which IS a rewrite of the RQ1/2 Apple Lane, same scenarios) Aillena is a 24yo "acolyte'. -- That fixes RQ3 Apple Lane in 1615.

Edited by Baron Wulfraed
Added Red Text sections

The RQ Classics really are very compatible.  I'm in a campaign right now running RQG through the RQ Classic Borderlands scenarios.  I don't think our GM is making any stat changes whatsoever (except ignore RQ2 Defense factor).  If you get into playing and find the NPC's are getting pushed over too readily, just bump skills up by +10% or give them a couple Rune points. 

As others have noted, drop the treasure factors/rewards down significantly.

Very easy to use.  One reason is that the RQG game was built on top of the RQ2 framework - mostly additive with a few changes (e.g. removing the Defense factor).

I've also taken monsters/stats directly from the RQ Classic Fangs, Creatures of Chaos, and Snakepipe Hollow works in my campaign without issue.  There are no deadly pitfalls, just some equally dangerous monsters. 🙂

It's the same village, largely interchangeable.  The main point is that the RQ Classic adventure occurs ~1613, the RQG adventure ~12 years later.  In between, there is an adventure in the HQG Sartar Companion where Apple Lane is sacked by the Lunars and Gringle's building is burned down. 

You can find the history of this period in the Glorantha Sourcebook.

Very easy to get ideas from the HeroQuest books, particularly Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes, Sartar Companion, and the two Red Cow books.

The HQG and RQG systems are VERY different.  I run both systems and enjoy each.  BUT, I do not recommend alternating if you are just starting to get into the game world.  I recommend going with RQG, and utilize stats as needed if you want to run some of the HQG adventures.  (Between the RQ Adventures, Smoking Ruins, Pegasus Plateau books there are plenty of stats you can reuse as needed.)

Almost all Glorantha material is set late in the 3rd Age (an age is ~600 years of time and ends in some cataclysm).  RQ Classics are roughly 1613-1621, depending on location.  HQG is generally 1618-1625.  RQG is picking up at 1625. 

If you think of RQ Classics as being in the Star Wars Rebellion/New Hope/Empire Strikes Back years and RQG as starting after Return of the Jedi, you'll have roughly the time period in mind.

The only works that were set in a different age were the Mongoose RQ books.

Hopefully the notes above help.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

You should be OK.

Yeah, I really don't mind that sort of difference. As long as it WORKS at the table, I'm fine with it.

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

This is great!

When you say "I use the NPC stats in the books, you mean the classic books you're using, or similar stats in the new books? That part wasn't extremely clear to me.

3 hours ago, Eff said:

Adaptation is necessary but usually in an extremely contextual way. Basically, you can run, at a rough estimate, 90% of everything regardless of time frame, and the remaining 10% is mostly a matter of light adaptation- where it says "Lunar patrol" reading "rival tribe's militia" or something. There are a handful of things that would require heavier adaptation, but those are overall rare. 

I see! Yeah, it makes more sense that way!

3 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

The largest compatibility matter may be in character strength. The old Apple Lane was meant for freshly minted characters in RQ1/2 -- which tended to mean skill levels in the 25% range and an age of 16 unless you apply (as suggested in the scenario) the "Previous Experience" section of RQ2 (which is way in the back of the book -- my old group in the 80s never even realized that was an option, we started as 16 year olds with minimal armor and likely a small mace; RQ3, OTOH, put that into the character generation phase). RQ2 Previous Experience appears to assume a fixed additional 5 years of age; RQ3 used a die roll to determine age, and had experience modifications based on number of years difference from 15 (1D6 die roll meant minimum 16). Using that Apple Lane in the new rules will likely require greatly increasing the stats of the opponents, besides applying the rules in the Conversion Guide. Most of the opponents in RQ2 Apple Lane are in the 35-45% attack range.

There is about a generation between RQ1/2 Apple Lane and RQ:RiG Apple Lane (the pawn shop is a ruin in the latter). RQ2 seeming to be around 1580-1600. (I can't find any specifics for what the year is in RQ2 -- the timeline goes to 1627 which is just after RQ:RiG "begins"). GM-Pack explicitly states 1625. RQ2 Apple Lane states Gringle moved there 37 years earlier, while the GM-Pack mentions he had run the pawnshop for some 50 years -- doesn't mention when he left or the shop burned down, but a minimum of 14 years (50-37 + 1 for burning) puts RQ2 Apple Lane at 1611.

You may need to pick which Apple Lane scenarios to run due to the differences. Residents are older, pawnshop burned... In the GM-Pack Aileena is 34yo priestess of Uleria (with a 25% attack with club), while RQ2 she's just a (no age stated) initiate with 20% attack. Those NPCs common to both versions do have similar weapon skills... In RQ3's Apple Lane (which IS a rewrite of the RQ1/2 Apple Lane, same scenarios) Aillena is a 24yo "acolyte'. -- That fixes RQ3 Apple Lane in 1615.

So the new RQG Apple Lane is indeed a "return to" type of affair. I imagine it would be much more epic to "return" there after knowing the city as it was before.
From what I understood from your explanation, the current RQG initial characters would be too strong for the original Apple Lane, so I'd have to "pump the monsters" up a little. Maybe I could check around the other ready-made adventures I have (pegasus plateau/smoking ruin books) and inspire myself in those stats?

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

The RQ Classics really are very compatible.  I'm in a campaign right now running RQG through the RQ Classic Borderlands scenarios.  I don't think our GM is making any stat changes whatsoever (except ignore RQ2 Defense factor).  If you get into playing and find the NPC's are getting pushed over too readily, just bump skills up by +10% or give them a couple Rune points. 

As others have noted, drop the treasure factors/rewards down significantly.

Yeah, apparently this would be the easiest way to go. Just testing to see what works and what doesn't. The players would never know that all this tweaking was going on live anyway...

The treasure dropping, though, is still a bit abstract to me. Since I haven't played any Glorantha-related systems so far (though I am used to the percentiles due to CoC), I don't know how useful things really are. But I guess that it's just a question of practice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Almost all Glorantha material is set late in the 3rd Age (an age is ~600 years of time and ends in some cataclysm).  RQ Classics are roughly 1613-1621, depending on location.  HQG is generally 1618-1625.  RQG is picking up at 1625. 

If you think of RQ Classics as being in the Star Wars Rebellion/New Hope/Empire Strikes Back years and RQG as starting after Return of the Jedi, you'll have roughly the time period in mind.

The only works that were set in a different age were the Mongoose RQ books.

Yes, this was extremely useful! Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help, folks!

It's clear to me that the community is a major part of enjoying Glorantha. It's very nice when there are so many people willing to help in such a short time!

I guess that to make things easier and to help my "acclimatizing" process smoother, I will focus on first understanding the system and then proceeding to enjoy all the ready-made adventures available for RQG. That should give me enough experience with the system and Glorantha to feel ready to start "adapting" classic materials.
I really want to run Apple Lane before running the new version, so I guess I'll play around with Pegasus Plateu (it's allegedly filled with adventures appropriate for starter-level characters) first. After that I might make a small foray into the original Apple Lane with my friends.

I'll try to read through the Sourcebook while I learn the system, and consult it again whenever necessary. Then, I'll try to consult Cult Compendium according to the adventures I read, to understand some details better as they show up. It's clearly not a good idea to rush this process.

Since we're all gathered here in this fine evening, I'd also like to ask you for suggestions of adventures that I absolutely MUST try (I love a good story, so all suggestions are welcome. I guess that all the typical books like Pavis & Big Rubble, Borderlands and such are part of that list, but I'm sure there are others gems I should be adding to the list.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LordNigel said:

The treasure dropping, though, is still a bit abstract to me. Since I haven't played any Glorantha-related systems so far (though I am used to the percentiles due to CoC), I don't know how useful things really are. But I guess that it's just a question of practice.

RQ Classic (typical for the late 70s/early 80s) tended to give out vast troves of treasures, especially lots and lots of coins.  Following that will seriously undermine any campaign (particularly where in RQG your average standard of living is around 60L per year). 

18 minutes ago, LordNigel said:

the current RQG initial characters would be too strong for the original Apple Lane, so I'd have to "pump the monsters" up a little. Maybe I could check around the other ready-made adventures I have (pegasus plateau/smoking ruin books) and inspire myself in those stats?

The other alternative in RQ in general is to add more NPC's, not necessarily any more powerful.  Having to fight off several foes at a time, any of whom might land in a lucky critical blow to your left leg and incapacitate you, is one of the "lethal" aspects of RQ. 

7 minutes ago, LordNigel said:

I'd also like to ask you for suggestions of adventures that I absolutely MUST try (I love a good story, so all suggestions are welcome. I guess that all the typical books like Pavis & Big Rubble, Borderlands and such are part of that list, but I'm sure there are others gems I should be adding to the list.

Borderlands is a classic.

The Cradle scenario (in Pavis book) is an epic battle.

Also the RQ Classic Trollpak is a must have.  Journey to Skyfall Lake is a wonderful scenario in that work.

(There are several in the RQ3 line, but those are harder to come by.  Both Sun County and River of Cradles are great works.)

I also highly recommend the Jonstown Compendium works: Six Seasons in Sartar and Company of the Dragon, the Duel at Dangerford, and the three volumes of the Sandheart series.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LordNigel said:

Since we're all gathered here in this fine evening, I'd also like to ask you for suggestions of adventures that I absolutely MUST try (I love a good story, so all suggestions are welcome. I guess that all the typical books like Pavis & Big Rubble, Borderlands and such are part of that list, but I'm sure there are others gems I should be adding to the list.

While borderlands is a hoot to play and run, and Trollpak is fantastic Griffin Mountain is the gold standard for an easy to start sandbox. There is none better. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

The other alternative in RQ in general is to add more NPC's, not necessarily any more powerful.  Having to fight off several foes at a time, any of whom might land in a lucky critical blow to your left leg and incapacitate you, is one of the "lethal" aspects of RQ. 

That's true! It's a great and easy alternative!

19 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Also the RQ Classic Trollpak is a must have.  Journey to Skyfall Lake is a wonderful scenario in that work.

Great! I Have the Trollpak PDF, but I assume that all of that is covered in the Cult Compendium as well, right?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

3 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Griffin Mountain is the gold standard for an easy to start sandbox. There is none better. 

Yeah, I've been hearing more and more about Griffin Mountain. I knew it was a classic, but I didn't know it was such an epic! I will surely check it out!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LordNigel said:

Great! I Have the Trollpak PDF, but I assume that all of that is covered in the Cult Compendium as well, right?

No, I am not sure but I think the CC has only cults (make sense, neh?) while TP has everything. I mean everything. 

1 minute ago, Bill the barbarian said:

No, I am not sure but I think the CC has only cults (make sense, neh?) while TP has everything. I mean everything. 

Oh, I see! Yeah, it does make sense, hahaha.

When I read that Cult Compendium gathered the material from Trollpak, Cults of Terror, etc, I assumed that it included ALL the material, including adventures and such.

When I read that Cult Compendium gathered the material from Trollpak, Cults of Terror, etc, I assumed that it included ALL the material, including adventures and such.

No, just the cults. Trollpak has a LOT of background material (nice supplement to the Gloranthan Sourcebook in that regard), plus stats for trolls and giant insects useful for encounters, plus scenarios and settings (including the famed Haunted Ruins of the Sazdorf clan, another classic location).

14 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

No, just the cults. Trollpak has a LOT of background material (nice supplement to the Gloranthan Sourcebook in that regard), plus stats for trolls and giant insects useful for encounters, plus scenarios and settings (including the famed Haunted Ruins of the Sazdorf clan, another classic location).

Nice! I hear that the Troll (Uz) culture is fascinating in Glorantha!
I've been watching a series of videos on youtube by a guy called JM and a very knowledgeable fellow called Evan Franke. It's great! And besides Trollpak they recommended to read Dorastor as well.

• Like 1