Feedback on my homebrew combat system

Hey guys.. I made a custom combat system for (my still in progress) Master of Orion setting (and, we are gonna use it in an hybrid D&D Magic World adventures starting tomorrow)

It's an hybrid system inspired by BRP/BGB, Mythras, RD100, CoC...
I was trying to be both simple and offer combat options. To have enough HP to fight advanced and big fireball weapon and still cut head. To be able to have healing armor and spells yet to somewhat limit healing.

Well.. I guess it's a matter of taste, looks good to me... But le t me know if something strikes you as particularly troublesome...

Combat.docx

Combat.pdf

errata, HP is (CON+SZI)/2 + ENdurance% / 10

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

Master of Orion isn't really to my taste in scifi. I'm more of a Traveller, Star Trek, Babylon 5 [without the Rangers, thank you] kind of guy.

But I will take a look at your rules tomorrow and try and poke holes in them for you.

Hope your game goes very well.

• Thanks 1

Looks Ok to me.

I'd have a -30 malus for each extra multiple attack, rather than a straight 50/50 split, as that rewards high-skilled combatants better, same for subsequent parries.

To be honest, combat is, for me, the least important part of a SciFi game.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

2 hours ago, svensson said:

Master of Orion isn't really to my taste in scifi. I'm more of a Traveller, Star Trek, Babylon 5 [without the Rangers, thank you] kind of guy.

Dang, and we had been getting on so well....  Babylon without Marcus is a wonderful culinary experience, but with Marcus has an expanded range of spicing!

Marcus: At least a dozen ships have reported seeing something rather godlike in the area, and since neither you nor I were there, it must be one of the First Ones.
Ivanova You're having delusions of grandeur again.
Marcus: Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones.

2 hours ago, soltakss said:

To be honest, combat is, for me, the least important part of a SciFi game.

The combat is this case, would be for a fantasy settings.. and most of the rule apply to fantasy.. Except, I try to use the same ruleset.. and I have been writing my personal combat rule in the MoO booklet which cover all tech levels...

I guess in scifi lots of take cover should be used. And smoke grenades! (not described here...) and perhaps, remote controlled weapon, much safer that way! ^_^ 

Looks Ok to me.

thanks 🙂

I'd have a -30 malus for each extra multiple attack, rather than a straight 50/50 split, as that rewards high-skilled combatants better, same for subsequent parries.

To be honest I am torn here and I did consider it!
but the default and common multiple attack rule above 100% (in CoC, BRP, Mythras, most of them) have some inherent attraction.. good to know you are edging toward the -30% for multi attack.. considering it now....

BTW, a little errata, HP is (CON+SZI)/2 + ENdurance% / 10

14 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Well.. I guess it's a matter of taste, looks good to me... But le t me know if something strikes you as particularly troublesome...

It looks interesting. I'd consider addingin some sort od DEX or Balance roll for those who get knockedback (if a dragon's tail sends a guy flying back 5m he might not be on his feet). We probably need to see the weapon and armor tables to really see how it will play out. Are damaged standard BRP or something else? 

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Thanks! 🙂
Also, I am thinking to replace ENC by a sort of DEX SR malus... (to challenge one of my player who like to play hyper stealthy rogue with an humongous backpack and 7 weapons carried...)

I might have forgot te to write it but.. there is a STR vs Damage roll to resist knockback (most times) and then DEX save to not fall 

Well.. today it's gonna be MagicWorld - BRP..
for scifi weapon it's very close to the advanced weapon in BRP... here is the tables I made... (still missing explosive, and missiles, oops, I am finally finishing the document but a few thing are still only in my draft! 😮 )

Weapons.pdf Weapons.docx

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

On 6/12/2021 at 11:38 PM, Lloyd Dupont said:

oo.. I get it now.. absolutely, great idea.. 🙂

Give credit to Greg Stafford. In Pendragon, whenever you take more damage than your SIZ you have to make a DEX roll or be knocked down.

On 6/12/2021 at 10:25 PM, Lloyd Dupont said:

Thanks! 🙂
Also, I am thinking to replace ENC by a sort of DEX SR malus... (to challenge one of my player who like to play hyper stealthy rogue with an humongous backpack and 7 weapons carried...)

What if you factored in for fatigue? IN real life altheltes tend to wear the least amont of clothing required for the job, as anything more is an impediment. You could require characters to make a CONx5% roil at various times to avoid fatigue, and you could subtract ENC from the CONx5% value. So if your PC is carting around 20 ENC worth of gear, it would be CONx5-20%.

On 6/12/2021 at 10:25 PM, Lloyd Dupont said:

Well.. today it's gonna be MagicWorld - BRP..
for scifi weapon it's very close to the advanced weapon in BRP... here is the tables I made... (still missing explosive, and missiles, oops, I am finally finishing the document but a few thing are still only in my draft! 😮 )

Yeah, damages seems pretty close to BRP standard. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

Give credit to Greg Stafford. In Pendragon, whenever you take damage of your  SIZ or greater, you have to make a DEX roll or be knocked down.

19 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

What if you factored in for fatigue? IN real life altheltes tend to wear the least amont of clothing required for the job, as anything more is an impediment. You could require characters to make a CONx5% roil at various times to avoid fatigue, and you could subtract ENC from the CONx5% value. So if your PC is carting around 20 ENC worth of gear, it would be CONx5-20%.

Fatigue is a bit tricky.. I always good intention with it but.. never use it... although my latest idea was similar to yours.. run a check every now and then... if I add a malus like yous suggested.. I think this looks good.. 🙂

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

12 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Fatigue is a bit tricky..

It is, because it straddles the line between fun and tedium. On the one hand, we don't want to be bothered with such minutia. On the other hand, if we ignore it, some  players will tend to abuse the situation. Way back, a friend of mind wrote a silly adventure full of such rules exploits. For instance, in one room was a ship. The story behind it was that an adventurer used to carry it around, until the encumbrance rules came out, and then he couldn't carry it anymore, so he had to leave in in the room. 

12 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

if I add a malus like yous suggested.. I think this looks good.. 🙂

Yeah, the general idea is to let the players know that they should behave reasonably, or to account for a long term effort, or the environment. But you don't want it to become a hassle- unless, of course, overcoming such a hassle is part of an adventure. Such as when the PCs have to cross a desert.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

It is, because it straddles the line between fun and tedium. On the one hand, we don't want to be bothered with such minutia. On the other hand, if we ignore it, some  players will tend to abuse the situation. Way back, a friend of mind wrote a silly adventure full of such rules exploits. For instance, in one room was a ship. The story behind it was that an adventurer used to carry it around, until the encumbrance rules came out, and then he couldn't carry it anymore, so he had to leave in in the room. 

That must have been fun! 😄

18 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

That must have been fun! 😄

Yes, it was the first of the infamous Dungeons of Doctor Demento. Originally it was done as a one off for the gaming group, before Massconfusion turned it into a series of convention adventures.

• Thanks 1