Call of Cthulhu Classic Kickstarter is Live!

MOB

1233853220_CoCClassicKSLive10minutes.png.44b00ebe3a48f4530d2b2a42041eee77.png

On a cold and rainy day back in 1981 Chaosium unleashed its Call of Cthulhu tabletop roleplaying game on an unprepared world... 

To help celebrate the 40th anniversary of Call of Cthulhu, we've launched the Call of Cthulhu Classic Kickstarter, featuring a remastered version of this iconic boxed set and five of its first supplements (Shadows of Yog Sothoth, The Asylum & Other Tales, The Cthulhu Companion, Trail of the Tsathogghua, and Fragments of Fear). 

1896832259_CoCClassic-Live.png.b585e84603e8d8cbd9f74e0f1f5e6ff5.png

The Stars must have been Right, as the campaign funded in 10 minutes!

We've now passed the first $100K Stretch Goal - the original Keeper Screen...

9c67b73a00c642833501f153913dd57b_original.jpeg.d830dd121946451542445b93a866d174.jpeg

... and are rapidly approaching the second Stretch Goal at $200K: Dice!

4901a629713a6c3e9869255324286d47_original.png.84375868d9bf7a2eb98b02a5772ea7e9.png

Since the 40th anniversary is a "ruby" one, we sourced a blood red ruby-colored set just for this occasion. A free set of these dice will be going into each and every Classic Boxed set (1", 2" and 2" limited). 

We will be shipping to backers from our fulfillment centers in the US, Canada, the UK, the EU, and Australia. 

Chaosium hopes you will join us as we celebrate Call of Cthulhu's 40th anniversary! Support the campaign here: 
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chaosium/call-of-cthulhu-classic

Chaosium President Rick Meints said,

"Because we want to deliver these boxed sets in time for the anniversary later this year, we've already got all of these books and boxes ready to print. Within two weeks of the Kickstarter ending, we're going to be sending out ALL of the PDFs to the backers. All of the files will be off to the printer shortly after that. No waiting on writers, or artists or layout to get this done. We print. We ship."

1133485968_CoC_40th_anniversary-logo-TMcopy.png.fdb6a7df859882ee2838a13cbb036794.png

Edited by MOB
  • Like 2

• MOB featured and pinned this topic
Here we are, just 20 hours into this adventure and we have crossed the $200,000 threshold. The dice are rolling, and the stretch goal will be marked as "achieved". Thus, it's on to our next stretch goal:

$300,000 Stretch Goal - HANDOUTS UPGRADE!

Back in the day, the handouts in the early supplements left a fair bit to be desired. As just text on the pages in the middle of the book, you could pull them out and cut them apart (shudder). Most Keepers and players have grown used to something better than that, so here's what we can do when this stretch goal gets funded. We'll include all of the handouts in an upgraded format and collect them together as single sided pages. Printing extra copies from the PDFs won't stress you out, and little to no cutting will be part of the ritual.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Ejlertson said:

Please make a stretch goal or option to buy 2 additional d6 for the ruby set.

Not having an identical 3d6 set for Character Generation makes me cringe every time.

We'll see what we can do.

• Thanks 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Having passed $300,000 in our Call of Cthulhu Classic Kickstarter it's on to the next Stretch Goal:

$350,000 Stretch Goal - Arkham Poster Map

Those character and monster silhouettes, not to mention any miniatures you may already own, deserve a big enough Arkham map to walk (and stomp) around on. Thus, if this stretch goal gets funded we will add a free printed color poster map of Arkham into each boxed set. 

All $20 backer levels and higher will get a free PDF of this map!

537400180_Arkham-poster-mapcopy3.thumb.png.791844e0850b8b144cb0493ab08bb41c.png

• Like 4

We’re about $500 short of reaching the next stretch goal! I’m sure it will be hit within the hour.

EDIT: It’s just sitting there with $42 to go and I’m just getting anxiety waiting for someone to back the cause.

EDIT (again): Woohoo! We made it! Can’t wait to hear what the $400,000 goal is.

Edited by davewire

$400,000 Stretch Goal - Out from the Shadows... (extra Silhouettes)

68ee87f3503405c882bf8dffb51c0de2-original.jpeg

We were rather surprised when we saw how few classic Mythos monsters were included on the original Silhouettes sheet. Dimensional Shamblers, Elder Things, Flying Polyps, and even Shoggoths were nowhere to be found. Now that we have a big poster map of Arkham in the box we know that more such Silhouettes will be all the more fun to use. 

Thus, if this Stretch Goal is achieved we will be adding a free printed page of new Silhouettes into each printed box set. 

All $20 backer levels and higher will get a free PDF of the new Silhouettes created by Simon Bray.

• Like 4

Having passed $400,000 in our Call of Cthulhu Classic Kickstarter it's on to the next Stretch Goal:

$450,000 Stretch Goal - 34" x 11" Size Comparison Poster 

Today is shaping up to be an historic and epic day. Not only did we achieve another stretch goal "out of the shadows", but we are about to set a new record for the number of backers on a single one of our projects, 3698. That surpasses the number we had for our Miskatonic University: The Restricted Collection campaign in 2018. It's an honor to have so many of you join us for this campaign to bring back into print some of the "Great Old Ones". (update: we're now at 3740 backers!)

As for the stretch goal we just achieved, we will be adding a free printed page of new Silhouettes into each printed box set. All $20 backer levels and higher will get a free PDF of the new Silhouettes created by Simon Bray. Of course, that also means it is time for another stretch goal, and this one stretches out into a long poster...

Call of Cthulhu Classic Kickstarter

THE SIZE COMPARISON CHART, IN MONSTROUS SIZE

23 hours ago, littlewitchmaus said:

will there be any late pledge opportunity?
(desperate to get this but money is REALLY tight, this month.)

We are using BackerKit as our pledge manager and you will be able to do so there.

• Like 1

4000 backers and still just under a week to go: thank you to everyone so far joining our 40th year celebration!

4000 Backers and still just under a week to go! Thank you to everyone so far joining our 40th year celebration!

The boxed sets and PDFs on offer are not only packed-full of nostalgia from the birth of the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game in 1981, but are also fully compatible with the 7th Edition of the game!

Remember, our strategy for delivery of this Kickstarter has three key phases:

ONE - Within 1-2 weeks of this campaign ending we will distribute to backers all of their PDFs. ALL of them. They're already done. For Digital only backers this Kickstarter will be done and delivered.

TWO - Within a month of this Kickstarter ending all of the print files will go to our print partner for printing, collation, and then shipment to our warehouses. We will also make last calls for address updates.

THREE - Once the boxed sets are in our 5 fulfillment warehouses (USA, UK, EU, AUS, CAN) we will ship out everyone's boxed set(s) in a very timely fashion. 

• Like 2

@MOB in that interview Rick said:

“We recently redid Masks of Nyarlathotep for the 7th edition as a slipcase full of books and handouts. Similar treatments for Dreamlands and Gaslight are fairly far into their updates as well and will be debuting in the near future for the 7th edition.” 

can I take that to mean I should get super hyped for a slipcase set for Gaslight and Dreamlands with multiple volumes, a Keeper Screen and copious handouts and game aids?

4 hours ago, glassneedles said:

can I take that to mean I should get super hyped for a slipcase set for Gaslight and Dreamlands with multiple volumes, a Keeper Screen and copious handouts and game aids?

I'm just speculating, but it would make sense that they could make both products a Gazetteer book and a scenario book?

7 hours ago, glassneedles said:

@MOB in that interview Rick said:

“We recently redid Masks of Nyarlathotep for the 7th edition as a slipcase full of books and handouts. Similar treatments for Dreamlands and Gaslight are fairly far into their updates as well and will be debuting in the near future for the 7th edition.” 

Each will have nice handouts. Not sure on the number of volumes. Gazetteers would make sense, plus we are thinkig of doing a starter set for each of these as well. Keeper Screens are less likely. They don't sell as well as you might think. That's not saying "no", just not saying "yes" at this time.

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

8 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Each will have nice handouts. Not sure on the number of volumes. Gazetteers would make sense, plus we are thinkig of doing a starter set for each of these as well. Keeper Screens are less likely. They don't sell as well as you might think. That's not saying "no", just not saying "yes" at this time.

I was just going by what was in the Masks set so not especially disappointed by the lack of screens. I will be happy with whatever way they are published to be honest, I am always up for more content set in the UK so been excited by Gaslight since I got into Coc. With Dreamlands I'm still not entirely sure what it is but from reviews I've read and comments I've seen made it makes it seem like CoC trying to do a spin on fantasy which sounds very dope.

I have to say that starter sets have gotten me very excited. I got into CoC from purchasing the starter box back in 2019 and I'm eagerly awaiting the RuneQuest and Pendragon ones. Anything that gets more boxes on the shelves for me (also as an aside I really really appreciate how thick the Chaosium boxes are, I got the City of Mist starter set recently and I feel like I need to be so careful not to damage it because of how thin it is) is a big win. 

Thanks for the quick response 🙂

• Like 1

Starter Sets make a heck of a lot more sense than my pitch. 😉 Dual volume sets cost more, which means the risk of pricing some gamers out. With a box model, you sell more product at the lower price point but you get the advantage of being able to sell all of the necessary gazetteer info and scenarios while still getting the benefit of handouts. It would still be nice to accompany it with a hardcover later that is more detailed.

A message to hard core collectors: this top tier SOLD OUT on Day 1, but we've just noticed several backers have downgraded—jump in while you can! Pledge $249 or more Call of Cthulhu Signed Limited Edition The Full Classic boxed set signed and numbered by Sandy Petersen. Only 200 in the series!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chaosium/call-of-cthulhu-classic

1434076122_ScreenShot2021-07-20at5_46_31pm.png.8c27e2849e8fe364d6d857906c6d3cf9.png

• Like 1

f83bcddf3f945e8d0d9fef90a20fdc48_original.png.9aa60f0901affde3ccf5095887b57144.png

Having passed $450,000 in our Call of Cthulhu Classic Kickstarter it's on to the next Stretch Goal:

$500,000 Stretch Goal - Bonus Scenario: Wail of the Witch by Keith Herber

We'll add this eight page scenario into the back of the printed and PDF versions of the 2nd edition Rulebook. Originally published in Different Worlds #30 back in 1983, we will be using the slightly updated and fuller version of the scenario from Curse of Cthulhu. That means more handouts too!

We'd also like to say how grateful we are that over 4200 backers have joined us thus far!

• Like 1