Gustbran the Bonesmith and the Lunars?

RandomNumber

Hi,

I'm exploring the reach of the Redsmith's guild of Smithstone as a potential plotline.

Do Lunar Redsmiths worship Gustbran too? I can see that Gustbran is a Lowfire who has been taken into the Storm tribe. Would some sense or aspect of Gustbran have remained in the Fire tribe and been inherited by the Lunar empire? Or might Redsmiths have found a patron amongst the Lunar gods and goddesses (Yanafal Tarnils?). YGWV etc but wondering if there is an answer to this I haven't found.

Thank you.

• Like 2

I would expect Lunar redsmiths to worship one of Lodril's Ten Sons and Servants, an entity southern redsmiths may or may not recognize as their Gustbran.  Someone with a better grasp of Pelorian myth can probably correct me or expand on that point though.

• Thanks 1

My opinions/takes: In general, whatever name you use for him, and whether you're working with bronze or brass, smiths will recognize that their god is the same. The rituals, the secret handshakes, these will be different, especially where that leads to zany misunderstandings. But Gustbran seems like he's going to be dominant anywhere except those handful of places where the secret of enchanting bronze is known, if there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

The Ten Sons and Servants as identified in the Gods Wall description (Guide p.674) have two wood-workers (the cooper and the carpenter) but no smith. The digger is really the profession of maintaining dikes and irrigation ditches, not mines. The pyro-technology is covered by the potter, but no evidence of casting, smelting, or creation of chalk plaster or mortar.

Artisanship and metal-working are associated with Pelanda, and Turos might be the name of (a lesser) Lodril that you want to investigate for smithing, architecture, and other more advanced crafts. In all likelihood aspects of Turos. Then there are the Third Eye Blue people, who work metals other than iron, too, but I doubt that their secrets are shared with Gustbran, or vice versa.

Saird is ancient Heortling territory, and there the bonesmith would be known. Almost the same goes for Sylila, which really is an Orlanthi barbarian kingdom playing at Heartland refinement and Dart Competition backstabbing. Or perhaps more correctly Odayling kingdom.

Imther is a traditional source for dwarf-created metal, and so is Jord. More hill barbarian metal workers likely to follow Gustbran inside the Lunar fold.

Otherwise, mining and metal-working may be overseen by the Buserian cult. Leaked dwarven knowledge attracts the literati.

• Thanks 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

17 hours ago, RandomNumber said:

Do Lunar Redsmiths worship Gustbran too? I can see that Gustbran is a Lowfire who has been taken into the Storm tribe. Would some sense or aspect of Gustbran have remained in the Fire tribe and been inherited by the Lunar empire? Or might Redsmiths have found a patron amongst the Lunar gods and goddesses (Yanafal Tarnils?).

Given that the Lowfires are Mahome, Gustbran and Oakfed, and only Oakfed appears in the Empire as a portion of Yelm (Enverinus), not the offspring of Lodril. That would make Gustbran Lodril. So the further north you go, the furnace fire is Lodril and the further south you go, the furnace fire is Gustbran. For me this born out by Lodril's Ten Sons and Servants, many make things that need the fire, but are not the fire. Why? because their father is. There is of course that Alfostios could be the smith, as he will be making the metal hoops. So perhaps in a few places, Alfostios is Gustbran.

Mahome's worshipped almost exclusively through Ernalda and Lodril, in the Empire she's a handmaiden of Dendara (upcoming Cults of Glorantha). None of Dendara's handmaidens appear on the God's Wall, solving that problem. I would say that Mahome is the part of Lodril that stays home in the hearth (or their daughter)

The aspect of Lodril that is Gustbran works just like Gustbran, the Godlearners would have called this Lodril Gustbran. Likewise Ernalda Mahome, Dendara Mahome and Lodril Mahome are all the same. Even Lhankor Mhy and Buserian scholars find the God Learners legacy annoying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/