BRP shopping for resource books

Bygoneyrs

Hello everyone,

Ok I am trying to mass together a good collection of BRP stuff so I can build up or collect as much resource materials as I can to help add to my own collection. I am in the process of redesigning my own FRPG campaign that had formly been a D&D ver 3.5 d20 game mechanics campaign, well I am redoing it now using BRP.

So far these are the works that I currently own (all are Printed books):

Basic Role Playing - Core book

BRP - Clasic Fantasy

BRP - Basic Gamemaster

BRP - Basic Creatures

BRP - Basic Magic

BRP - Witchcraft

BRP - Val-Du-Loup

BRP - Ashes to Ashes

BRP - Rome

BRP - In Search of the Trollslayer

Also I own the following BRP product for Traveller based stuff:

BRP - Outpost 19

Now other BRP products I would also like to purchase once they either come out in a "Printed" version would be the following Items:

Grimoire

The Chronicles of Future Earth

Necromancy

Operation Ulysses

The Green

Veni,Vidi,Vici

The River Terror

BRP Adventures

Plus some Cthulhu stuff as well too:

Cthulhu - Dark Ages

Cthulhu - Invictus

Cthulhu - Rising

Jovian Nightmares

Yes for me I would pursue both Fantasy and Space materials to add to my collection. So what else should I also be collecting or what new products have I missed to add to my list guys?

Penn

Old time RPGer of +34 yrs, player/DM/GM.

For a fantasy based campaign, I cant speak highly enough about Malleus Monstrorum. It's for COC, but even skipping all the mythos stuff, it is still has loads of great monsters, and weighs in at almost 300 pages.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I would add the two Cthulhu Invictus adventure monographs - Extrico Tabula and Malum Umbra. The various secrets books are pretty good, too.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

For Fantasy, I would add, Elric!, Darcsyde's Corum, Gods of Law and Bronze Grimoire.

Elric! is nice and pulpy with the bonus of a Demon Summoning System. BRP Sorcery is based on this system. Corum adds Lawful Constructs, Chaotic Melds, Elemental Tattoos, Fetishes, some other stuff, and fixes any problems that I have with Elric! summoning. Gods of Law add a Virtues system in which the character embodies the attributes of a sort of 'Patron Saint.' It also has specialty skills and Minion rules. Bronze Grimoire expands on the Sorcery system presented in Elric!.

Additionally, I would look at the Gloranthan Classics. I feel Cults Compendium is a must even if you're not kick around Glorantha.

70/420

So most of all this stuff is now out of print? So what version of the game is it...Stormbringer or Elric, and by whom?

Penn

For Fantasy, I would add, Elric!, Darcsyde's Corum, Gods of Law and Bronze Grimoire.

Elric! is nice and pulpy with the bonus of a Demon Summoning System. BRP Sorcery is based on this system. Corum adds Lawful Constructs, Chaotic Melds, Elemental Tattoos, Fetishes, some other stuff, and fixes any problems that I have with Elric! summoning. Gods of Law add a Virtues system in which the character embodies the attributes of a sort of 'Patron Saint.' It also has specialty skills and Minion rules. Bronze Grimoire expands on the Sorcery system presented in Elric!.

Additionally, I would look at the Gloranthan Classics. I feel Cults Compendium is a must even if you're not kick around Glorantha.

Old time RPGer of +34 yrs, player/DM/GM.

So most of all this stuff is now out of print? So what version of the game is it...Stormbringer or Elric, and by whom?

Penn

You can get some Stormbringer stuff from Chaosium at ridiculous prices.

For other material, check out Noble Knight for Elric. For inspiration purposes, Stormbringer and Elric can be considered virtually interchangable.

So most of all this stuff is now out of print?

Correct

So what version of the game is it...Stormbringer or Elric...

Elric! was released in 1993. Largely the same text was released as Stormbringer 5th edition in 2001. There was a previous game of the same name that went through technically four editions with a broadly similar (but notably different in the details) rule system between 1981 and 1991, all from the same publisher...

..., and by whom?

Chaosium - Perils of the Young Kingdoms has some great scenarios in it that could be fairly easily adapted to BRP.

Noble Knight Games also have some OOP Elric! stuff.

Nick

They were selling the Elric stuff on Chaosium's site, but only Corum and Perils of the Young Kingdoms are left. You might also check online mail order catalogues as they might still have some stuff in print.

Second edition Gloranthan material might be available at Issaries.com, and some you can find in game shops or on-line here and there.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Yes for me I would pursue both Fantasy and Space materials to add to my collection. So what else should I also be collecting or what new products have I missed to add to my list guys?

There have been three SF BRP based games - Chaosium's Ringworld, FGU / Niall Shapero's Other Suns and Other World Games Worlds Beyond. Plus the Future*World portion of Worlds of Wonder. All are long out of print and exceptionally difficult to get hold of I'm afraid (Noble Knight are currently asking $50 for a copy of Other Suns...)

Likewise, Chaosiums Questworld is rare and expensive. Their boxed set of Thieve's World is a little easier to come by and whilst there's a lot of wasted space (it includes stats fro something like 18 different RPG's!!) there RQ stats are easily converted and the non-system specific material is excellent. Plus, the Green Ronin d20 Thieves World stuff (which ads lots of setting detail and is fairly easy to convert) can be picked up VERY cheap at the moment. Sanctuary has been one of my staple fantasy cities for many, many years...

In addition to the Cthulhu Rising stuff some of the other Cthulhu monographs might be of interest - Ripples From Carcosa has three scenarios in three different time periods for example.

Nick

I had thought that the Glorantha Classics line was still in print. It appears that this is sadly no longer the case.

I was recommending Chaosium's Elric!, which is currently going for about $8 at Amazon. It's basically the same ruleset as Stormbringer 5th Edition. Good stuff. The earlier Stormbringer versions of the rules are fun and they have some die hard fans but I don't think they lend themselves to being used as source material. They have a very specific tone. Of the earlier Stormbringer stuff, I would recommend the one with the green whelan cover (Fourth edition, I think).

Corum's available through Chaosium's website, as said. The text for Gods of Law is available through this site as a free download. The Bronze Grimoire tends to be a bit pricey.

Ringworld, Questworld and Worlds of Wonder have long been on my list of things I desperately want to buy but can't find anyplace.

70/420

Isn't "The Morrow Project" also BRP based? I've heard that's quite good, but never seen it.

The third edition "Role Playing Expnasion" adds what is basically the BRP skill system (crediting Chaosium and Tadashi Ehara "who made possible the form this expansion takes").

Ringworld is sadly never going to see the light of day again I suspect - the rights are tied up in hollywood, which blocked the last serious attempt to get it re-released and I can't se that changing any time soon.

Quite why Chaosium have not re-released at least PDF's of Questworld and / or Worlds of Wonder I'm not sure - they presumably still retain the rights to the text. Mind, I've still never understood, given the re-issue of RQIII as the BASIC monographs, what the status of Land of Ninja and Vikings is...

Funnily enough, a large chunk of what was to be the Games Workshop expansion material for Questworld and long thought lost was recently rediscovered by one of the authors#. It's most likely that'll now see release for Dragon Warriors I suppose.

Cheers,

Nick

#Dave Morris, co-author of Dragon warriors and at one time editor of "Rune Rites" RQ column in White Dwarf, as well as author of the seminal "Dealing with Demons" article for RQII...

Edited by NickMiddleton

For Fantasy, I [...] feel Cults Compendium is a must even if you're not kick around Glorantha.

I'll second that. I am even using it a source of inspiration for my Chinese role-game!

(and AFAIK it is still available)

• 9 months later...

You can get some Stormbringer stuff from Chaosium at ridiculous prices.

For other material, check out Noble Knight for Elric. For inspiration purposes, Stormbringer and Elric can be considered virtually interchangable.

It looks like they're on sale right now.

http://catalog.chaosium.com/index.php?cPath=39&osCsid=403c70409b090b1ea4a907d8c7af0caf