Gaslight Resources (and Release date)

Oldskoolrebel

I'm hoping to run a Gaslight campaign towards the end of next year. I'm currently putting together resources, I've got the pdf of the 6th edition Gaslight sourcebook, I was wondering if there where any other must have resources?

Also does anyone know if there has been information with regards to the release date for the new Gaslight Resources?

Kind Regards

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Oldskoolrebel said:

I'm hoping to run a Gaslight campaign towards the end of next year. I'm currently putting together resources, I've got the pdf of the 6th edition Gaslight sourcebook, I was wondering if there where any other must have resources?

Also does anyone know if there has been information with regards to the release date for the new Gaslight Resources?

Kind Regards

Check out Stygian Fox’s Gaslight settings and scenarios chief of which is the setting book Hudson & Brand , Inquiry Agents of the Obscure. I think you will find Stygian Fox is now the leader in all things Gaslight (by a LONG, LONG shot) and that will be even more pronounced I bet when the next Hudson & Brand book comes out. Here’s a review of the first H&B book -> https://rollingboxcars.com/2018/05/23/gaslight-never-looked-so-good-hudson-and-brand-inquiry-agents-of-the-obscure/amp/

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

The 2012 Cthulhu by Gaslight book by Kevin Ross is the only indispensable item for a Gaslight campaign. There are useful supplements if you have cash to burn: besides the Stygian Fox books mentioned, there is also the Miskatonic Monograph Gaslight Equipment Catalogue, and two excellent adventure collections published by Chaosium in its heyday: Dark Designs and Sacraments of Evil. I'd also track down a copy of Pagan Publishing's The Golden Dawn, out of print and pricy, but worth it for the information on the premier Victorian occult society and several of its prominent members. I've used the society in my campaign to feed adventure seeds and as a resource for the players in their investigations. It's a nice alternative to Hudson & Brand. Also, The Golden Dawn comes with four cracking adventures by Scott Aniolowski, John Tynes and Steve Hatherley.

As for when the new edition of Cthulhu by Gaslight is due, only Yog-Sothoth knows.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dr_Zarnak said:

The 2012 Cthulhu by Gaslight book by Kevin Ross is the only indispensable item for a Gaslight campaign. There are useful supplements if you have cash to burn: besides the Stygian Fox books mentioned, there is also the Miskatonic Monograph Gaslight Equipment Catalogue, and two excellent adventure collections published by Chaosium in its heyday: Dark Designs and Sacraments of Evil. I'd also track down a copy of Pagan Publishing's The Golden Dawn, out of print and pricy, but worth it for the information on the premier Victorian occult society and several of its prominent members. I've used the society in my campaign to feed adventure seeds and as a resource for the players in their investigations. It's a nice alternative to Hudson & Brand. Also, The Golden Dawn comes with four cracking adventures by Scott Aniolowski, John Tynes and Steve Hatherley.

As for when the new edition of Cthulhu by Gaslight is due, only Yog-Sothoth knows.

The Golden Dawn is really a unique and incredible book and it was my favorite Gaslight book till H&B came out (now it’s probably a tie). The problem is that it’s getting more and more rare. I purchased a used copy three years ago and it still cost me three fingers and a pint of blood. Of all the books that need to be republished this one has to be at the top. Stephanie (Stygian Fox) you listening? You publish a new hard back version of The Golden Dawn and it will be an insta-buy for me.

By the way there is a copy on EBay.com for $157 and $28 shipping. In contrast I paid $103 plus $10 shipping in 2018. But if your going to do much Gaslight it’s worth it… See ->https://www.ebay.com/itm/224651456246?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item344e452ef6:g:WksAAOSwGhhhbL2X&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACoPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSvtkx670Z0mbyfWqmxLFLYc%2Fi%2FgW2i%2FGA%2ByJgjF%2BLJeLnmM4WHk63WWJbCmgXh7243Pq4ru3yWndo00e2nbCcLXCYOwbmRpLX3RKroxSxGLuuLxaLjDLLN6kihB8hp6DUQnlIgo8fws9SFcWYQc0J47cGg%2FRIkMNFWoG5ubPdmby1b8R%2BNc7nJbariBoFyuVEmAwa5cFTHfOht2jNAUxVETWgNW3J85d0FJq0Bl5xmgGBHKSN6eAbkFjwvxYSHQtEdIzjFKPJ33Lnto%2BOMqBw8sqHneBowOoV6BESWVgcs16rC5%2BM10kGUPHucfKCIsyZJu7epARjsgk8eAANyRhD96ImMlYUZavcxFozHfUoxNPV2Yt1jjaVYVNEjPjNUohAl9MBeW%2BJGHRU4VoRFT8z3Kz6g11%2FHVAdlfB5GmkJG4i%2BkTh7R7rWibDRLfIvfms0VUCNVIlvcizw8uGOugXJ7U4HDp0emJEe5VYs6fEon6WiHKMwT71zydET%2FgunA9Yl%2FnqZp%2BbMrTJ2ECCk57o7%2F%2FL8iYrpJcVT3XvX2kiscxVtuitHswys%2B93LewjmgBKD9x1ay9OjYQ2lxZNaJGud42I43HfJITa6RzRAgtpAI7R6UNEmWWjxrUM02K6cTjp8RsXbS6cU2Ah9efyJPva8X%2BrIg8MW1rclIjTkHsrrvGEA3XQ%2BmBLb2dltngxmIC2cyltSnvv9Au5mftdJAm%2FgvAvYPwYQ4bNtK9qIiciETuHDL13FEzR5Mc%2BRc6cMXqh48h8Rf7ZQE6YsxCHYYF9OwCLHI6wTtrj03xkUQ2lG5nZCJDTEjWBONLGjrdRSBe7DMztAwMgJo%2Bzs%2Btf0g5jJJw%3D%3D|clp%3A2334524|tkp%3ABFBMuvqxybVf

Reviews of The Golden Dawn can be found here -> https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/classic/rev_1282.phtml

and

here -> https://refereeingandreflection.wordpress.com/2017/10/08/golden-gaslight/amp/

Edited by rsanford
  • Like 1

@ClosterphobiaThe Order isn't portrayed as a Mythos cult, and yes the actual rituals and "magick" of the group, such as the "Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram", have been adapted for use in CoC. There is also an essay on the Astral Plane. None of these treatments are exhaustive. Nor do they change the balance of power: Mythos magic remains the most potent kind.

@rsanfordI was fortunate enough to be a CoC player when Pagan first published it, so was able to get one at cover price. Yes, the prices now are just silly. Those new to the game will just have to hope Chaosium will produce its own version, or Scott Glancy will get his act together and re-start Pagan Publishing. Revised and expanded editions of their out of print books, like Golden Dawn and Walker in the Wastes, could raise a lot of money for the company on Kickstarter.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Grimmshade said:

I ended up getting the Hudson & Brand book, plus The Spirits of London and The Thirteen, all in print. It's going to be like 8 weeks for the print versions to get here, but at least I've got the PDFs too.

I think you will like ALL the Stygian Fox stuff, I know I have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grimmshade said:

Is there a price / gear guide for gaslight anywhere? It seems to be the only thing I'm now lacking to run a campaign.  

Cthulhu by Gaslight has probably all you need (from page 25ish) but I am surprised the Hudson and Brand do not have the info. If you want a full book about equipment of the era, there is also The Gaslight Equipment Catalogue

Edited by DreadDomain
  • Like 2

It's not in print anymore but the definitive guide on Victorian equipment is probably "... and a 10-foot Pole". It was written for Rolemaster but it's perfect for for CoC and many other RPGs. It is exceptionally useful. See https://smile.amazon.com/10-Foot-Pole-Rolemaster-Standard-System/dp/1558063706/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1T2GINZPH7OI1&keywords=and+a+10-foot+pole&qid=1640163967&s=books&sprefix=and+a+10-foot+pole%2Cstripbooks%2C71&sr=1-1

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grimmshade said:

Is there a price / gear guide for gaslight anywhere? It seems to be the only thing I'm now lacking to run a campaign.  

For a brief overview of everyday prices in the UK you can look at https://victorianweb.org/economics/wages4.html

For guns then a very small gun (The Cyclist's Friend) was sold for 12/- in late 1890s London (13/3 with 100 cartridges).  Better guns were quite a bit more expensive.  There are plenty of sources of period advertising but you do have to do a fair bit of work.

• Like 2

As an example of one of those rather more expensive guns, a 1900 catalog page for a Lancaster 4-barrel pepperbox pistol in .455 centerfire has a price of 8 pounds for the basic pistol, with 11/- extra for nickel plating, a price of 9.1.0 for an engraved pistol (10/- more for nickel plating), and a stunning 18.0.0 price for a presentation-grade pistol that was electro gilt with ivory stock. Ball rounds were 6/6 per 100, while buckshot (the Lancaster had oval rifling and could fire shot rounds) were 8/- per 100.

• Like 3