CRUSADERS OF THE AMBER COAST - A Northern Crusades Campaign for BRP

Test post to find out how to rate a product ... missed to find out ... :(

My mistake, you don't have to post to rate. Just above the top post on this page is a gray bar where on the right side of it you can read "RATE THIS SUPPLEMENT". Press it and chose a star! :)

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I don't see that option. I don't have the book, but I doubt the forum software knows that ;)

I see a gray bar, with the menus Thread Tools, Search Threads and Display options (and View First Unread or something similar)

The same here, I also do not see the option for rating the product.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

• 8 months later...

One question about the Vilkacis.

The first stage, can this still be entered in later stages? and when in human form the vilkacis' are vulnerable to non-magical weapons, its only while in spirit, beast etc forms that the need for magic, fire(?) and oak is crucial yes?

I intend to borrow this, change and tweak, its such a grand concept!

"What about the future...? We only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Jegergrytes Creative Cubicle

Oh and one more thing. Can the vilkacis take on the spirit/ghost wolf shape after the first initial stage? or is it limited to the actual physical shape change?

"What about the future...? We only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Jegergrytes Creative Cubicle

Hi jeger.

First of all, these details were all made up by me. The Vilkacis is one of the most peculiar creatures of baltic legends (Urban thinks that the legend of werewolves as we knnow them now originated in Prussia), but the details about their transformations are blurry.

The spirit stage cannot be entered after the creature has achieved a higher level of transformation. Please note that the spirit vilkacis is the equivalent of a veli, a spirit of the dead, that is an inhabitant of the spirit land. It has the same limitations as physical beings, i.e. it cannot cross walls, and blows just leave it unharmed, they do not pass through its form.

The only advantage the spirit form has over the later forms is that it cannot be harmed by fire. But it does not fear oak, either (I cannot remember if I wrote it in the description, but it should be so). Think of the spirit form as a nature spirit, the equivalent of a wolf in the land of the veli. As such, it is not inherently evil and it does not fear oakwood or lightning (these are the weapons that Perkunis uses against the Devil in baltic folklore, so they work against evil creatures). Later, the creature achieves a higher level of consciuousness, but becomes corrupt: it is more powerful, but it is also inherently evil and becomes the target of Perkunis' "attentions".

A Vilkatis in human form is not immune to mundane weapons. However, a really high ranking werewolf can have some surprises in stock for unwary players, as shown in the CotAC campaign :)

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Hey guys, does anyone have some good links for maps of the Baltic, Scandinavia, Poland or the Slavic frontier in the medieval period? I've found various maps online, but I'm wondering if there are better resources that aren't in English that Google missed.

It might be cool to have a "Links to good Medieval Maps for Gaming Purposes" tab someplace, for game enhancement.

The problem is that most of these frontier areas were not under the control of organised states, as it was the case for England or France or the Holy Roman Empire. Their rulers were petty princes who in turn recognised higher princes, possibly switching sides when it was more convenient for them. For instance, you have references to Lithuania in both Crusaders and Mythic Russia, but the reality was that Lithuania was at the time a bunch of squabbling small duchies that sometimes united under a Grand Duke. The same goes for Christian colonies, as they were in fact ruled by their Bishops, so an accurate map should refer to bishoprics rather than nations. Denmark and Sweden were the exception, as they already had a king with centralized government.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

• 2 weeks later...

This is a map of Livland ca. 1260, which shows the bishoprics in that area:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3a/Livland_1260.svg/1000px-Livland_1260.svg.png

However, like all maps of that time and region it is hardly more than a "snap-

shot", because the borders tended to change very often, through warfare,

inheritance, bequest and all the other medieval ways to aquire or lose terri-

tory. Moreover, there was a huge difference between land claimed and land

actually controlled, in many cases the title to a piece of land had only the

value provided by the arms of the loyal forces currently there - when they

withdrew or moved on, the land often became uncontrolled again.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)