Word layout guru advice sought

Ian A. Thomson

Hi Folks

Preparing the P&BR Director's Cut re-releases has hit upon a technical challenge or two with Word

Using the Chaosium template is fantastic. Whoever thought of that and prepared it has my immense gratitude

Two issues though

1) I am utterly unable, despite 2-3 hrs of fkng about with it, unable to find a way to hide the page number '0' on the front page

2) I want to shift the margins a little to make it easy to print and bind (basically add 'middle of book gutters') Everytime I try to do that it messes up the awesome background and imposes some irregular whitespace into the edges. There MUST be some settings somewhere to sort that out

Hoping somebody can assist

Thanks very much

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

1 hour ago, Ian Thomson said:

1) I am utterly unable, despite 2-3 hrs of fkng about with it, unable to find a way to hide the page number '0' on the front page

Create a Section Break (under Layout menu - look for Breaks...) between the first and second pages.  (Replace existing Page break if there is one with the Section break > Next Page option).

Once you've created the two sections, go to the second Section and under Insert menu, go to Headers (or Footers, either one is fine), and then Edit Header (or Footer).  There will be a Headers & Footers menu option at this point at the top with the other menu options.  Find the "Link to Previous" and click that OFF for whichever has the page number. 

Once you've removed the "Link to Previous", then go to the first Section and under Insert menu, again go to Headers or Footers, and then Edit Header (or Footer).  Now remove the page number (and since it is no longer linked to the next Section, this action will not affect the rest of the document).

As for Margins, they are also under the Layout menu.  I think you'll want to choose Custom Margins, and that will give you the ability to set a Gutter margin as well as adjusting the Left/Right Margins.

7 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Create a Section Break (under Layout menu - look for Breaks...) between the first and second pages.  (Replace existing Page break if there is one with the Section break > Next Page option).

Once you've created the two sections, go to the second Section and under Insert menu, go to Headers (or Footers, either one is fine), and then Edit Header (or Footer).  There will be a Headers & Footers menu option at this point at the top with the other menu options.  Find the "Link to Previous" and click that OFF for whichever has the page number. 

Once you've removed the "Link to Previous", then go to the first Section and under Insert menu, again go to Headers or Footers, and then Edit Header (or Footer).  Now remove the page number (and since it is no longer linked to the next Section, this action will not affect the rest of the document).

As for Margins, they are also under the Layout menu.  I think you'll want to choose Custom Margins, and that will give you the ability to set a Gutter margin as well as adjusting the Left/Right Margins.

I have tried to adjust the margins to get rid of the white edging showing whenm you have mirrored page margins or wider ones  and i have never managed to get rid of it

Edited by Martin

Thanks

Will try the first one tomorrow

Looks like something I tried before and didn't work, but maybe I made a mistake

Sadly the gutter options you recommend don't work. They create the margins, but the Chaosium backdrop to the pages becomes riddled with chunks of margin whitespace :(

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

Just now, Martin said:

I have tried to adjust the margins to get rid of the white edging show and i have nevber manag4d to get rid of it

Aye

I am hoping to find a Word genius who can get under the hood to the settings of the Chaosium background

4 minutes ago, Ian Thomson said:

I am hoping to find a Word genius who can get under the hood to the settings of the Chaosium background

I tried it but had the same problem.

In the end, I decided that the margins looked OK, anyway, as they are.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I  think the background texture needs to be applied using the page  background option in the design tab, but to do that we would need the texture as a seperate texture file to use in the page fill option

Edited by Martin
  • Helpful 1

4 hours ago, Martin said:

I  think the background texture needs to be applied using the page  background option in the design tab, but to do that we would need the texture as a seperate texture file to use in the page fill option

They’re available in the Files area of the Jonstown Compendium Creators’ Circle group on Facebook. You want Right background.psd and Left background.psd

• Like 1