Possessed and control <species> spells

Godlearner

On 4/25/2022 at 10:11 PM, Godlearner said:

Sure, so to get back to the topic at hand a possessed Dog would not be subject to a Control Dog spell, even if its POW is overcomed. 

I think I'm currently thinking I agree with this...

ETA: and thus, does one need separate Control Dog and Control Dog Spirit ? or is one superfluous?

Edited by Shiningbrow

I play it that, if you overcome the spirit POW in a case of overt possession, you wrest control of the dog from the spirit while the spell lasts, but if it is still possessing it when the spell ends, it reasserts itself, though I would allow the dog a new opportunity to resist the possession at that point.

In the case of covert possession, you control the dog if you overcome the dog's POW, and the spirit continues to do its thing, whether spreading disease, or gathering information. You have no control over the spirit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Godlearner said:

Technically there are no Control Dog spells, they are all Control Dog Spirit spells.

There is Control (Entity) within that Control Dog and Control animal spirit (or dog spirit if you want to be specific). Control spirit spells work on discorporate entities.

RBM 111

This spell comes in many variants, such as discorporate spirits; nymphs; specific types of elementals; as well as mundane animals such as hawks, dogs, mammoths, shadowcats, etc.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 4/20/2022 at 11:47 AM, Darius West said:

That doesn't work imo.  Consider, a demoralize spell works regardless of species, because it is spirit magic and works against spirit.

“Spirit magic works against spirit” is a new assertion and is unsafe.

Why then does a Dominate spell only work against a specific species if everyone's spirit is essentially the same?

Spirits aren’t essentially the same. Dominate and Demoralize are clearly different.

It must be tied to the actual flesh, and that fits better with the logic of the more materialistic ideas of sorcery imo.

What about dominating things that have no flesh?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

“Spirit magic works against spirit” is a new assertion and is unsafe.

In essence the way the idea of spirit spells is described is that they are magic performed by spirits invoked for the performance of the spells.  When I say spirit magic is used against spirit, to clarify, I mean that it is a shamanic magic system that works according to a paradigm that magic is all about spirits.  I agree that I expressed that badly.

Spirits aren’t essentially the same. Dominate and Demoralize are clearly different.

Mechanically, within the rules, both spells are POW vs POW.  RQG rules does reduce all spirits to 3 stats.  While Dominate and Demoralize are from different magical traditions, it would only be a minor tweak to treat Demoralize as a sorcery spell, and Dominate as a spirit spell.

What about dominating things that have no flesh?

Glorantha is made of runes, and it is the runes that are controlled.  Dominate Humanoid controls the man rune.  Dominate Beast controls the beast rune.  Dominate Spirit controls the spirit rune, and Dominate Elemental controls the element rune appropriate to the elemental.  On the other hand, human meat in Glorantha is the manifestation of the man rune.