Open D100 System Charter

Nerun

Hail rune brothers!

This topic is related to this very old one: D100-system charter (2008). Would be better you read that first (just 2 pages).

Here a charter to use Open D100 System compatibility logo, with minimum game mechanics to be considered compatible in one-page PDF. It's just a draft. Sorry for my bad english, i am not a native english speaker. Feel free to correct my spelling in the attached document. I accept suggestions, including those that say: "abandon this idea".

Charter requisites derives from the 2008 discussions and seems to me to be quite solid.

There is some d20 System inspiration in this logo, of course. Please note that "D100" is not capable to be registered as a trademark in many countries. And I'm not interested in registering either. But Open D100 System may well be registered. Anyway, I think I have certain copyright on that expression and the logo at least. Nevertheless this is a work in progress.

Open d100 System Charter.pdf

1102434843_Opend100Systemlogo.png.325a869e4b2c3f08277810dfbc03971a.png

Member @peterb also created a logo, never used i think. Attached bellow mine. Peterb said in 2008 it is in Public Domain.

d100-logo.png.1ffd6a1d70d0736b11296b141fdac7c6.png

Edited by Nerun
4th draft, 2nd logo

That "d100 Basic System" logo is just really uncomfortably-close to Chaosium's BRP SRD logo (see here: https://brp.chaosium.com/ ) ...

•  stylized d10 in the background
  • "Basic" and "System" in the text...
  • red elements in the logo

Add to that, that both logos are for RPG's and highly-similar ones at that...

Is there some reason you don't want to use Chaosium's own BRP SRD, or RD100's SRD, or ... ?

• Helpful 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

52 minutes ago, g33k said:

That "d100 Basic System" logo is just really uncomfortably-close to Chaosium's BRP SRD logo (see here: https://brp.chaosium.com/ ) ...

Is there some reason you don't want to use Chaosium's own BRP SRD, or RD100's SRD, or ... ?

Thx! I agreed, BRP SRD logo is by far much better.

The problem with BRP Open Game License is that it is not really free, no open at all. For example: prohibited content. If i create a Cthulhu game, i can't use BRP logo, nor even the BRP Open Game Content! And 2nd, if you use any portion of BRP SRD, you MUST use BRP logo, it's not optional. As a Linux user, I do like freedom.

But no, i have no issues in use any other SRD (Revolution, Renaissance, Legend, OpenQuest, GORE, RetroQuest etc), i love all them!

My point is to create a common logo to all these systems that can't use BRP logo. But anyway, doesn't means that people wants one. Maybe OQ prefere to use their own logo!

Maybe i am wrong and Chaosium made BRP logo free to use in any system independent of which SRD are you using. But i think not. As i know, BRP logo is exclusive to games developed from BRP SRD and BRP (not so much) Open Game License.

1 hour ago, g33k said:

Uh, the similarity issues... That's a good point too.

I will try new logos, maybe closer to peterb logo, and d20 System logo itself.

And name... Change to Open D100 System sounds good! Translates the essence.

Edited by Nerun
Working in new logo

Just trying new concepts: ugly, but creative. Inspired by Open Source Initiative logo. Copyleft symbol (C inverted) disposed like "%", reference to d100. And the green remember "traffic green light".

OpenD100.png

Edited by Nerun

• Nerun changed the title to Open D100 System Charter
2 hours ago, soltakss said:

Interesting, the Charter excludes Revolution D100 because Revolution does not use the SIZ Characteristic.

Hmm... Maybe Characteristics list should be removed? Other alternative that comes in mind is to consider POW and SIZ as optional. Because i think that some Characteristics should be present. SIZ ok, not fundamental, and POW is essentially a stat for magic (or Will) and not all settings use both. But STR, DEX, INT, CHA and CON are a minimum.

Edited by Nerun

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 2:43 PM, Nerun said:

Hmm... Maybe Characteristics list should be removed? Other alternative that comes in mind is to consider POW and SIZ as optional. Because i think that some Characteristics should be present. SIZ ok, not fundamental, and POW is essentially a stat for magic (or Will) and not all settings use both. But STR, DEX, INT, CHA and CON are a minimum.

Note that most BRP games from the 80s and 90s had APP instead of CHA.

Your definition also excludes the second french edition of Nephilim, which had Wound Levels instead of HP. Why would the presence of HP be so important when MP presence is not ?

Same for Aquelarre, because it has a different set of stats.

• Helpful 2

Nerun, this is a very interesting initiative. But a charter/logo that encompasses all "open" D100 systems makes sense only if it is approved/used by all publishers and/or maintainers of said system. 

I am not necessarily against the initiative, but we should involve more publishers if we want to make it significant.

Also, that logo becomes illegible once you shrink it. The simplicity of peterb's logo is better. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

4 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

Nerun, this is a very interesting initiative. But a charter/logo that encompasses all "open" D100 systems makes sense only if it is approved/used by all publishers and/or maintainers of said system. 

I am not necessarily against the initiative, but we should involve more publishers if we want to make it significant.

Also, that logo becomes illegible once you shrink it. The simplicity of peterb's logo is better. 

To be honest with you all, I don't know why I resurrected this idea. It didn't work in 2008, it wouldn't work now. Although it's a good idea. The only unified logo that really worked was the Wizards d20 System. Maybe it sounded like a good idea to me, and I got excited designing logos. That's it. But I know it will never be adopted. Companies have no reason to do so.

About logo size/text you are right.

1 minute ago, Nerun said:

To be honest with you all, I don't know why I resurrected this idea. It didn't work in 2008, it wouldn't work now. Although it's a good idea. The only unified logo that really worked was the Wizards d20 System. Maybe it sounded like a good idea to me, and I got excited designing logos. That's it. But I know it will never be adopted. Companies have no reason to do so.

About logo size/text you are right.

And the d20 logo was successful because it meant "D&D" for the customer, and "money" for the editor...

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 3:14 AM, Mugen said:

Note that most BRP games from the 80s and 90s had APP instead of CHA.

Your definition also excludes the second french edition of Nephilim, which had Wound Levels instead of HP. Why would the presence of HP be so important when MP presence is not ?

Same for Aquelarre, because it has a different set of stats.

About APP and CHA, please read 1.1 in charter: Uses the following Characteristics. They may, however, use other names... So one can name CHA as APP, no problems.

About Wound Levels vs. HP: minimum compatibility is needed. If it becomes too open, logo lost sense.

About MP... Well I just forgot about it.