Pregnancy and the Windstop

Soccercalle

One of my NPCs is married to a PC and will probably be pregnant when the Windstop happens. She is an Ernalde assistant priest.

i wonder if the Windstop will lead to a miscarriage. If so, I am thinking of having her turn a bit mad and vengeful. A result could be for her to join the Babeester Gor cult and wanting to bring revenge on the Lunars for the lost child.

This felt like a good narrative but when it occurred to me that this maybe could be quite common. We know that the Windstop puts Ernalda to sleep and we know that it will lead to a lot of dead children (already born or stillborn). Wouldnt most Sartarite Ernaldan mothers turn to BG in that situation?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soccercalle said:

Wouldnt most Sartarite Ernaldan mothers turn to BG in that situation?

no, just some women

facing a drama, people (any gender / sex) have a lot of different reactions

some will become violent

some will remain silent or withdraw to the clan (for a long time or not)

some will "remove" it and continue to live as usual

etc

so yes it is a good idea to have a woman following bab's after that

but a lot will continue to be ernaldan, the show (life) must go on

• Helpful 2

2 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

We know that the Windstop puts Ernalda to sleep and we know that it will lead to a lot of dead children (already born or stillborn). Wouldnt most Sartarite Ernaldan mothers turn to BG in that situation?

Some might, and for an excellent mythical reason - the situation is parallel to the Great Darkness, when BG was born from Ernalda’s dead (or perhaps ”dead”) body to guard it.

The context couldn’t be more mythically appropriate if it tried.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

There is another good reason to turn to Babeester Gor, or Maran Gor, if you want revenge but you are not suitable to take an axe directly to who you blame, as they still give magic. So no Bless pregnancy or Bless crops available, but Blast Earth to punish whoever you dislike and dinosaur stampedes to crush them. 

• Helpful 1

14 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

One of my NPCs is married to a PC and will probably be pregnant when the Windstop happens. She is an Ernalde assistant priest.

i wonder if the Windstop will lead to a miscarriage. If so, I am thinking of having her turn a bit mad and vengeful. A result could be for her to join the Babeester Gor cult and wanting to bring revenge on the Lunars for the lost child.

This felt like a good narrative but when it occurred to me that this maybe could be quite common. We know that the Windstop puts Ernalda to sleep and we know that it will lead to a lot of dead children (already born or stillborn). Wouldnt most Sartarite Ernaldan mothers turn to BG in that situation?

Personally, I'd be careful with this theme in my group, with pregnant spouses and players who've had difficult pregnancies.

I use Lines and Veils in my games, and this is marked.

You might want to consider extending the pregnancy through the Windstop.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 3

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Another option might be to have a child with an incomplete soul (or breath), requiring a major quest to connect the soul which still is anchored in the Underworld or someplace even worse with the child. Or with a draconic soul, or a similar transgressive result.

Checking the tolerance of your players is advisable in all game related situations. Any kind of body horror in a game requires consent or at least safe words, x-cards, or similar. But then, so does splatter-punk and stuff trangressing religious taboos of the participants (which may sound strange when the consensus already includes playing in a polytheistic setting, death gods and chaos creatures, with some aspects hard to veil). But then, especially people new to Glorantha may not have realized some of the stuff potentially going on in that setting, being used to "healthy" murder-hoboing and notions of black and white in other games and settings.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 5/30/2022 at 6:11 AM, French Desperate WindChild said:

no, just some women

facing a drama, people (any gender / sex) have a lot of different reactions

some will become violent

some will remain silent or withdraw to the clan (for a long time or not)

some will "remove" it and continue to live as usual

etc

so yes it is a good idea to have a woman following bab's after that

but a lot will continue to be ernaldan, the show (life) must go on

I would suspect Maran Gor would be a good choice too.  The Barren Earth.

• Like 1