MIG3: Meints Index to Glorantha Feedback & Corrections

Rick Meints

Now that the book is for sale as a PDF on Chaosium.com, I have no doubt I have missed various items, made a few typos, or just plain got something factually wrong. As people spot things I will include them on the list of corrections in this initial post, as applicable. All I ask is for this to be a kind and gentle discussion. The book has not gone to the printers yet, so we have some time to fix things for an updated PDF as well as the printed book. Please include the page number with anything you report. I will delete reported items as I correct them, so if your post gets deleted it is because I have dealt with it. Please read this initial post to see what has already been reported.

Pg 4, top of 2nd column, changed "comvention" -> "convention"
Pg 5, 2nd column, changed "tachnological" -> "technological"
Pg 10: "Their isn't" changed to "there isn't" 
Pg 17, box text, changed "Founchild" -> "Foundchild"
Pg 21, RQ Companion, changed "Sharxy" -> "Shaxry"
Pg 31, La Guerre des Heros, changed "noticable" -> "noticeable"
Pg 36, WF#13, changed "domer" -> "Domer"
Pg 39, DW#6, changed: "campaig" -> "campaign"
Pg 51, JG#170, changed "Suprizingly" -> "surprisingly"
Pg 55, A&E intro text, changed "duringn" -> "during"
Pg 57, A&E #43, Runelord writes, changed "RQs" -> "RQ's"
Pg 58, A&E #62, Runes and Ruins, changed "om" -> "on"
Pg 70, Breakout #34, Oceans of Glorantha, changed "merme" -> "mermen"
Pg 101, two of the 6MM figures changed "Morakanth" to Morokanth
Pg 102, Announcing RQ3, changed "tobe" -> "to be"
Pg 104, second column, changed "nauseum" -> "nauseam"
Pg 107, GoG, changed "Prosepedia" -> "Prosopedia"
Pg 117, Heroes Magazine, second line, changed "1980's" -> "1980s"
Pg 117, Heroes Magazine, third line, changed "RPG's" -> "RPGs"
Pg 126, Bashim changed to Basham
Pg 137, Tales #3, changed "Jaxarte Wyded's" -> "Jaxarte Whyded's"
Pg 145, Tales #20, changed "Greydog Clan Chieftan List" -> "Greydog Clan Chieftain List"
Pg 147, It's Not Easy Being Grim, changed "Thantari" -> "Thanatari"
Pg 152, box text, changed "Malikioni" -> "Malkioni"
Pg 157, Tradetalk #10, changed "Remalia" -> "Ramalia"
Pg 198, Deus Vult, changed "middle ageas" -> "middle ages"
Pg 199, Elfs book, changed "Traddelands" to Tradelands
Pg 199, text box, last line, changed "secnario" -> "scenario"
Pg 202, RQ Pocket Deluxe Edition, changed "noticable" to noticeable
Pg 219: The Dangerground scenario is now by Graeme Murrell
Pg 223, changed Aurleion to Aurelion for MRQ Cults V1
Pg 226: Mee Worala corrected to Mee Vorala.
Pg 260 - Welt der Spiele (RQ3)
    Meister (instead of Mesiter), Götter (instead of Gotter), Hügeln  (instead of Hugeln), Wiederkehr (instead of Wieberkehr)

Edited by Rick Meints
corrections made
  • Like 7
  • Helpful 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Thanks for this "book" @Rick Meints. This is truly a great read for me who has been reading about Glorantha and playing Runequest since the early 80s. (With a long break from actual playing between the late 90s and the early 20s). I wonder if there is any hope of recovering (maybe for JC releases) material that "never was". I am thinking about "Hortugarth: Free City of Imther", Pat Elwars Dorastor scenarios and stuff like that. 

Edited by Soccercalle
  • Like 2

Some more British fanzines that reportedly had RQ material, probably no space to list these but maybe to keep an eye out for:

• Dead Elf #2, 1985: "a new RQ cult for Ankylosaurus riders" - source, review in Demon's Drawl #10.
  • Wolvesbane #2, 1985: "Chaos Chickens in Runequest" - source, review in Demon's Drawl #12.
  • Runestone #6, 1985: "a large RQ scenario for Bill's excellent Norsequest idea" - source, review in Demon's Drawl #12.
  • Obscurity Inc #5, 1985: "articles on RQ3 and Elfquest are strict rules discussion and alteration" - source, review in Demon's Drawl #12.
  • Protoplasm #4, 1985: "this issue includes a scenario for undersea Runquest" - source, review in Demon's Drawl #13.
  • Green Goblin #1, no date: "contains ... an RQ cult" - source, review in Imazine #11.
  • Grimlord, no issue number or date: "includes a long cult for Runequest (set, from the Conan books, proving that even in RQ it is possible to produce a sword'n'sorcery mish-mash if you put your mind to it" - source, review in Imazine #11.

One that definitely had a short Runequest article:

• Dear Whoever (no number, but #4 in a larger series), January 1988: Article "Let's Talk Primitive" (by me) on RQ magic, which drew a response from Greg Stafford himself in the letters page of the next issue, in June 1988.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

On 11/24/2022 at 3:03 AM, Soccercalle said:

I wonder if there is any hope of recovering (maybe for JC releases) material that "never was". I am thinking about "Hortugarth: Free City of Imther", Pat Elwars Dorastor scenarios and stuff like that. 

While that is possible, it is largely up to the original authors of the material. Chaosium and/or Moon Design doesn't own any of the unpublished RQ manuscripts from the "What Never Was" sections. I have been given printed copies of a few of the manuscripts, but that isn't the same as owning the publishing rights. Also, I am in contact with a few of the authors of various unpublished manuscripts or long out-of-print things. No promises. No news at this time.

• Helpful 2
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,

On 11/24/2022 at 9:36 PM, Brian Duguid said:

Some more British fanzines that reportedly had RQ material, probably no space to list these but maybe to keep an eye out for:

• Dead Elf #2, 1985: "a new RQ cult for Ankylosaurus riders" - source, review in Demon's Drawl #10.
  • Wolvesbane #2, 1985: "Chaos Chickens in Runequest" - source, review in Demon's Drawl #12.
  • Runestone #6, 1985: "a large RQ scenario for Bill's excellent Norsequest idea" - source, review in Demon's Drawl #12.
  • Obscurity Inc #5, 1985: "articles on RQ3 and Elfquest are strict rules discussion and alteration" - source, review in Demon's Drawl #12.
  • Protoplasm #4, 1985: "this issue includes a scenario for undersea Runquest" - source, review in Demon's Drawl #13.
  • Green Goblin #1, no date: "contains ... an RQ cult" - source, review in Imazine #11.
  • Grimlord, no issue number or date: "includes a long cult for Runequest (set, from the Conan books, proving that even in RQ it is possible to produce a sword'n'sorcery mish-mash if you put your mind to it" - source, review in Imazine #11.

One that definitely had a short Runequest article:

• Dear Whoever (no number, but #4 in a larger series), January 1988: Article "Let's Talk Primitive" (by me) on RQ magic, which drew a response from Greg Stafford himself in the letters page of the next issue, in June 1988.

I do have a bunch of the Obscurity Inc fanzines; it was the fanzine of the University of Edinburgh RPG soc, GEAS. I wrote a review of RQ3 for it; I don't remember what other RQ material it had but can dig them out and see.

• Like 2

Truly loved reading and reminiscing on past publications - this MIG was well worth the money and I’ve loved seeing what I own and what I missed out on (anyone have Roots in Glorantha they would trade?)

Slight observation based off a lovely conversation with Greg at a Continuum ;convention where he signed my copy, @Rick Meints I’m intrigued why the “2006 Lives of Sedenya “ by Greg is listed as ‘Independent products” rather than included as part of the `Stafford Libraries’ circa -page 45…. I don’t mean to be picky but labelling a Greg volume as Independent seems harsh in my mindset - maybe you know a bit more about why you labelled as such?’ Really is trivial but a treasured memory y’know?!

Regardless of my minor observation (when reading I thought “Wow! i might have something extra for Rick!) - This is a brilliant *brilliant* edition and an aged Gloranthaphile will delight to revisit past publications… I’m just glad we can leave it to Rick to chronicle all things Glorantha published! Top work !

Roll on MIG:4 with RQ:G included 🙂 

Edited by Dom Escott
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dom Escott said:

Slight observation based off a lovely conversation with Greg at a Continuum ;convention where he signed my copy, @Rick Meints I’m intrigued why the “2006 Lives of Sedenya “ by Greg is listed as ‘Independent products” rather than included as part of the `Stafford Libraries’ circa -page 45…. I don’t mean to be picky but labelling a Greg volume as Independent seems harsh in my mindset - maybe you know a bit more about why you labelled as such?’ Really is trivial but a treasured memory y’know?!

As you know, Greg had a fiercely independent streak in him. When he did the Lives of Sedenya booklet he was very much in the most independently free period of his life. He told me that he printed them down at the corner local copy shop before he hopped on the plane for the con. There was no corporate production of that book. It was just Greg being Greg because he was Greg. As usual, he rolled against his natural 18 Charisma and the rest is poetic storytelling.

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,

On 11/24/2022 at 3:03 AM, Soccercalle said:

I wonder if there is any hope of recovering (maybe for JC releases) material that "never was". I am thinking about "Hortugarth: Free City of Imther"

23 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

While that is possible, it is largely up to the original authors of the material.

In this case I can say that Imther is coming! 🙂 (Currently "Edge of Empire" - one of those titles that "never was" is working its way towards completion for the JC as a new RQG work.)  

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Dom Escott said:

Truly loved reading and reminiscing on past publications - this MIG was well worth the money and I’ve loved seeing what I own and what I missed out on (anyone have Roots in Glorantha they would trade?)

Regardless of my minor observation (when reading I thought “Wow! i might have something extra for Rick!) - This is a brilliant *brilliant* edition and an aged Gloranthaphile will delight to revisit past publications… I’m just glad we can leave it to Rick to chronicle all things Glorantha published! Top work !

Roll on MIG:4 with RQ:G included 🙂 

Thank you for the encouragement and kind words, Dom. I really appreciate it.

• Like 1

Hope that Helps,

• 2 weeks later...

About Page 260.
Japanese RuneQuest and Glorantha Products is here.

Hobby Japan
1988  ドラゴン・パス                                  Dragon Pass (war game)
1988  ルーンクエスト基本ルールブック         RuneQuest Standard Rulebook (RQ3)
1988  ルーンクエスト・コンパニオン            RuneQuest Companion (*1)
1989  アップルレーン                                  Apple Lane
1989  ルーンクエスト上級ルールブック         RuneQuest Advanced Rulebook (RQ3)
1989  ゲームマスター・スクリーン               Gamemaster Screen (*2)
1990  グローランサ・ジェナーテラ大陸         Glorantha Genertela
1990  グローランサの神々                           Gods of Glorantha
1990  グローランサ動物誌                           Glorantha Bestiary
1990  スネークパイプ・ホロウ                     Snakepipe Hollow
1990  グローランサ古の秘密                        Glorantha Elder Secrets
1991  ルーンクエスト・シティーズ               RuneQuest Cities
1991  グリフィン・アイランド                     Griffin Island
1991  RPGスーパースクリーン RuneQuestパック  PRG SuperScreen RuneQuest Pack (*3)
1992  ヘンダーズルインの領主                     Lord of Hender's Ruins (novel) (*4)
1992  ルーンクエスト・ナインティーズ         RuneQuest '90 (*5)
1993  トロウルパック                                 Trollpack
1993  サンカウンティ                                 Sun County
1993  ゆりかご河                                       River of Cradle
1993  ドラゴンアトラス                              Dragon Atlas (*6)
1994  モンスターコロシアム                        Monster Colosseum (*7)
1994  グローランサ年代記                           King of Sartar (novel)

Atelier Third
2001  ヒーローウォーズ〜英雄戦争〜           Hero Wars

*1: Hobby Japan' original RuneQuest and Glorantha introduction book. It is not a translation of Chaosium's RuneQuest Companion.

*2: Hobby Japan' original Gamemaster Screen for RQ3.

*3: Another Hobby Japan' original Gamemaster Screen and Charts bookelt for RQ3.

*4: Roleplaying Game original novel collection. One story (the title story) is set in Glorantha.

*5: A simplified and re-writed rules of RuneQuest which set in Glorantha.

*6: Supplement for RuneQuest '90.

*7: It includes revised version of Glorantha Bestiary and Creature Book.

** Publication dates are based on my notes and may be erroneous for older items.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

Another addition for the MIG: 

"telegraph road"
issue twenty four 

A5 fanzine, 32 pges
Published around June 1987 (date not mentioned, but next issue to be published in July. Includes an adventiseing for "KOANCON ´87" London)

Contains: 
"The Oronssos Goldenhair Caravan" by G. Murrell
An adventure in Prax, pages 14-19. 

• Like 1

Fairly minor, but another fanzine:

Imazine #17, 1987.

RuneQuest hardback, pg 17, review of the GW RQ3 hardback.

• Like 1

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

• 1 month later...