Out Now in print - Crimson King

Nick Brooke

Crimson King is a RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha adventure by Nick Brooke: a game of intrigue and conspiracy in the highest echelons of the Lunar Empire! Players take on the roles of the heroes and rulers of this Gloranthan superpower, confronted by treachery and betrayal on all sides.

The lavishly-illustrated scenario is a sequel to The Duel at Dangerford and Black Spear, and can be used as a stand-alone adventure or in an ongoing campaign. It builds on the Lunar Empire as presented in A Rough Guide to Glamour and Life of Moonson, but GMs do not need either book to run their game.

Cover art by John Sumrow. Illustrations by Dario Corallo, Katrin Dirim, Linnea Mast and Mike O’Connor. Maps and diagrams by Matt Ryan and Nick Brooke. Playtested at Chaosium Con in April 2022.

Available now from the Jonstown Compendium:

• $24.95 premium colour softcover,
  • $19.95 cheap colour softcover,
  • $11.95 digital (PDF).

Crimson King is 72 pages. "Confusion will be my epitaph!" LINK

1627442191_CKCover900px.png.f9932d3bda7ac8299d59b6deb63f88c5.png

Edited by Nick Brooke
Out now in print (26 January 2023)
  • Like 10
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

To celebrate, the prices of both volumes of our Life of Moonson freeform have been cut by $5 in all formats (print and digital). NB: game masters do not need these books to run Crimson King, which is self-contained.

That’s nice: my book’s the #3 overall best-seller on the biggest RPG download store on the intertubes. Note that everything else at the top end of the best-sellers list is a more expensive professional publication: DriveThruRPG’s calculations are based on revenue, not numbers. Incidentally, this is why I make (RuneQuest) part of my books’ titles these days — it helps with visibility, to entice the curious.

4857211D-E0F9-490F-B895-80B49D60380B.jpeg.69d1ab6ad397262dcd599df3b3226c01.jpeg

• Like 3

Copper in a day: that's rather tasty! Thank you all, friends.

DTRPG-MetalBestSeller-Copper.png.8e058a3a280d59511f2b345c48300144.png

And please consider leaving a rating, or even a short (spoiler-free) review, once you've owned Crimson King for 24 hours. It really helps!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lurking Grue said:

If the book doesn't have King Crimson related easter eggs, I will be disappointed. 

You will not be disappointed, then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My book got reviewed by the Master Philologist! 

“Nick Brooke's Crimson King is simultaneously an exploration of ALL of the multiple facets of Glorantha's Moon goddess and completely, utterly, insane. Nuts. Bonkers. Deranged. Mad. Literally, quite literally, out of its mind…

Crimson King is distinctively a Nick Brooke Production. It is playful rather than stuffy, juicy rather than dry, and tongue-in-cheek rather than solemn... It takes the MGF concept ("maximum game fun") and runs with it…

“You will come to Crimson King for the phenomenal production values, gorgeous art, and trademark Brooke wit. You will remember it for the setting and the ingenious plot twist. Crimson King is lunacy of the highest order, absolutely insane. Yet for a hobby in which people sit around have a consensual hallucination...is that really a bad thing?”

Thank you, Andrew Logan Montgomery!

1748942109_DrewReview.thumb.png.1aa2a1d1418ffca3b8342d16d5cf41f2.png

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 3

Here’s a detail from one of the book’s six phenomenal images of Lunar Arcana by Katrin Dirim:2B863C41-33FA-477B-BB12-B6B4CB082060.thumb.jpeg.b69fdf228c4dd5eaa0e70865c84f18c4.jpeg

and a moonbat by Mike O’Connor. Everybody loves moonbats, right?53D2658E-4E86-4F9C-8668-8A4C190E5A04.thumb.jpeg.8ae00f626c93c0c9430080b2c9b1c305.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Here’s a detail from one of the book’s six phenomenal images of Lunar Arcana by Katrin Dirim:

and a moonbat by Mike O’Connor. Everybody loves moonbats, right?

I bet that moonbat is every Humakti’s worst nightmare - “What was it that killed you again?” 🤣

…And Katrins work amazing as always. Great stuff 👍

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 1

And I did finally have a chance to pick Crimson King up this morning!

What can I say, but YES! Yes, it's inspired. Yes, it's a joy to read through. Yes, it pushes the boundaries of how we can imagine and approach Gloranthan and RuneQuest scenarios. Yes, the artwork is fantastic.  👏

(And, yes, when I've passed the appointed time window, will post a Review as well. 🙂 )

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, littlewitchmaus said:

i am absolutely desperate to see this get a pod release.

I’ll be sending the print files off to OneBookShelf tomorrow.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, littlewitchmaus said:

YAY

I done did do that, and they’ve been approved, so now they’re on their way to the printers. (Naturally I saw a typo immediately afterwards: it is the way)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Out Now in print - Crimson King
My book's been out for 25 days, and printed copies are starting to arrive... it feels like a good time for a social media stretch goal! Leave a dozen ratings on DriveThruRPG and I'll add this variant character sheet art by Yoshihide Yano as bonus content.
138472818_MrYanoAdvert.png.775babd63e8c8279c91906fe638f4b17.png
  • Like 3