Into the Wasps Nest

Erol of Backford

12 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

“Food of the Gods”

• What do the short-arse wasp riders know that they are not partaking? Or perhaps they were once even smaller.
  • What happens when you slip some into Gonn Orta’s sandwiches?
  • All kinds of Lewis Carroll meets Terence McKenna shenanigans threaten …

Wells — The Food of the Gods and How It Came to Glorantha

• Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

On 1/25/2024 at 10:46 AM, Erol of Backford said:

Barbarians and Civilized Initiates in RQ3 all had a read write languages skill. Seems to me nearly every Orlanthi is literate?

image.png.21ae26af6c04ab2dbb38bb8d05389c45.png

Sartarite literacy probably amounts to being able to spell one's own name and P-U-B, which is the main place where a Sartarite at their leisure can discuss the minutiae of the various lores of the world and gain an education for free imo.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Darius West said:

Sartarite literacy probably amounts to being able to spell one's own name and P-U-B, which is the main place where a Sartarite at their leisure can discuss the minutiae of the various lores of the world and gain an education for free imo.

If most people speak at least 30% I am guessing 15% would have you be able to read/write basic things or at least a good bit more than P-U-B but to each his own. Agree totally as to the location of discussions, P-U-B!

Pub makes me think of wasp whiskey or something like that but a quote by someone who drank liquor infused with fermented wasps stated: “Let’s be frank. It stinks, it tastes bad, and it looks like crap. I can’t say that I would ever want to drink this stuff again. Sure, the benefits are things that I could get behind, but that’s not the problem here. Maybe if some honey were added to it or if a different kind of liquor were used, then it would be more palatable, but at this point I’ve lost all motivation to give it another try…”

image.png.b13aa841d7d66c642a853ce52713dce3.png

16 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

wasp whiskey or something like that … the benefits are things that I could get behind

Perhaps — unlikely as it must seem — alcohol acts to preserve giant wasp growth hormone.

Wells — The Food of the Gods

• Helpful 2

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

4 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Speaking does not correlate to any level of read/write skill. 

It was based on if you have an INT of say 13-14 your base in read write would be 3-4%. Initiates get x1 so if they are 20 they'd get read write at 5+3~4 so they'd have a read write of say 7 or 8 now if they were 27 and an initiate they'd be at 15%.

Speaking does have a correlation to your reading and writing ability based on what I am thinking, maybe at a much lessor degree but how many persons speaking at say 75-80% skill would not have used a good amount of wasp paper used writing their speeches or doing the LM entry dissertations?

Was trying to correlate civilized and or barbarian initiate literacy levels with the use of wasp paper... sorry, trying to get back to the topic.

Why would the wasp riders attack any light-cultists to kill? Is there a Yelm - Insect hatred for the past? I can see light versus dark but what does light and insect dislike about each other?

I wonder how wasp whiskey compares to baiju?

Baiju is sorghum wine.  It tastes disgusting.  So bad in fact that it is advised to use sugar to sweeten it, begging the question of "why not just ferment the sugar if you have it? Rum tastes so much better than that cr@p".

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Why would the wasp riders attack any light-cultists to kill? Is there a Yelm - Insect hatred for the past? I can see light versus dark but what does light and insect dislike about each other?

I don’t know, but I suspect — going meta — that it is just a result of some designer assigning insects to :20-element-darkness: long ago (because they went “creepy-crawlies — ugh!”). If you want to keep that, but your campaign still needs the Wasp Riders to seek allies against trolls who wish to attempt genocide-by-picnic against them and their trusty steeds, you can call on Xiola Umbar as someone who can — canonically — bridge the :20-element-fire::20-element-darkness: gap through friendship. (AA attempts domination; ZZ introjection — thereby “birthing” Shargash?)

• Helpful 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

59 minutes ago, mfbrandi said:

result of some designer assigning insects

It was from House Campaign p.77. Maybe Greg-someone decided that the Riders would be a nice antagonist for Yelmians? Generally I like the idea of trollkin flying on flies being hit by fire arrows, catching fire and crashing magnificently. Into The Toll Realms p.38

I'll stick to wasp riders being potential allies and paper suppliers. Was thinking there could be another nest in Sog's Ruins and they'd be highly territorial there but didn't think deeply on that yet... (another thread)

image.png.541c5a6a7e67c51238cda43d28aa40ae.png

Edited by Erol of Backford
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

I don’t know, but I suspect — going meta — that it is just a result of some designer assigning insects to :20-element-darkness: long ago (because they went “creepy-crawlies — ugh!”). If you want to keep that, but your campaign still needs the Wasp Riders to seek allies against trolls who wish to attempt genocide-by-picnic against them and their trusty steeds, you can call on Xiola Umbar as someone who can — canonically — bridge the :20-element-fire::20-element-darkness: gap through friendship. (AA attempts domination; ZZ introjection — thereby “birthing” Shargash?)

Like when someone decided that the Yelmalions don't use swords because swords are Storm-aligned weapons, and spears are Sky-aligned weapons? 

Gotta admit, not a huge fan of simplifying things that much.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Like when someone decided that the Yelmalions don't use swords because swords are Storm-aligned weapons, and spears are Sky-aligned weapons?

• Rurik has become a Rune Lord of the Sun Dome Temple.
    RQ2 Classic (PDF, p. 61)

But the RuneQuest ur-character wasn’t averse to a broadsword (ibid, p. 143), right? And if they never used swords, anyway, “never use a sword of any kind” (Cults of Prax Classic (PDF, p. 57)) wouldn’t be much of a geas, would it?

Rhett Butler, Rhett Davies, … it’ll come to me in a minute. 😉

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

22 minutes ago, mfbrandi said:
  • Rurik has become a Rune Lord of the Sun Dome Temple.
    RQ2 Classic (PDF, p. 61)

But the RuneQuest ur-character wasn’t averse to a broadsword (ibid, p. 143), right? And if they never used swords, anyway, “never use a sword of any kind” (Cults of Prax Classic (PDF, p. 57)) wouldn’t be much of a geas, would it?

Rhett Butler, Rhett Davies, … it’ll come to me in a minute. 😉

I am working off comments made by others here, if characters can use bladed tools, then that's good. It's not a prerequisite, it just feels like we're avoiding handing someone an in-universe idiot ball just for the purpose of being "thematically consistent".

I just don't like it when writers seem to go "OH, so it's an elemental based logic - welp, better make EVERYTHING based around those lines" and turning it into a somewhat absurdly stereotyped setting. It has so many examples of cultural cross-pollination and outliers and synchreticism that I don't even think it fits Glorantha.

tl;dr: I don't think some mythical darkness origin of wasps should be enough to justify some kind of primal hostility between wasp-riders and Yelmali if more pressing and practical historical and contemporary issues makes it useful for them to work together. Also vice-versa.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 1/27/2024 at 10:45 AM, Sir_Godspeed said:

I don't think some mythical darkness origin of wasps should be enough to justify some kind of primal hostility between wasp-riders and Yelmali

I didn't think it made sense either, (Just noted this from the House Campaign p.77. 2. THE WASP RIDERS - Will attack any light-cultists to kill, otherwise are normal brigands riding huge wasps. Wilms Church region) and so was asking what others thought. I assumed a troubled relation with the trolls was the best it could be but likely a centuries old feud existed... and was still active or at least simmering.

Edited by Erol of Backford

10 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I am working off comments made by others here, if characters can use bladed tools, then that's good. It's not a prerequisite, it just feels like we're avoiding handing someone an in-universe idiot ball just for the purpose of being "thematically consistent".

I just don't like it when writers seem to go "OH, so it's an elemental based logic - welp, better make EVERYTHING based around those lines" and turning it into a somewhat absurdly stereotyped setting. It has so many examples of cultural cross-pollination and outliers and synchreticism that I don't even think it fits Glorantha.

tl;dr: I don't think some mythical darkness origin of wasps should be enough to justify some kind of primal hostility between wasp-riders and Yelmali if more pressing and practical historical and contemporary issues makes it useful for them to work together. Also vice-versa.

I'm pretty sure AA is the patron of trollkin spear-use... doesn't get much more  anti-:20-element-darkness:  than a sky/light/fire weapon!

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, g33k said:

AA is the patron of trollkin spear-use... doesn't get much more  anti-:20-element-darkness:  than a sky/light/fire weapon!

That one is fine (on its own terms), isn’t it? Taking the enemy’s toys. Putting Lodril to work.

• Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

7 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

That one is fine (on its own terms), isn’t it? Taking the enemy’s toys. Putting Lodril to work.

It's another one of (many) exemplars of "crossing the streams," of atomic-element-A co-opting something from atomic-element-B...
specifically addressing @Sir_Godspeed's remarks on the "elemental identity" thing being abused (specifically  :20-element-darkness:-vs-:20-element-fire:  and wasp-vs-Yelmalian).

• Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig