Into the Wasps Nest

Erol of Backford

From Furnace October 2018, by Guy Milner – does anyone have a source for Into the Wasps Nest?

The pygmy wasp riders of Wasp Nest used to be allies of Sartar, but you haven’t heard from them in decades. A new threat to Whitewall requires their aid, though, so you must venture into the Troll Wood to find the last person to visit Wasp Nest and come out alive. Either way, you are going to have to brave the flying, stinging guardians of the ancient town in order to save your tribe.

So the Wasp Nest or its ancestors has been around more or less since the Dawn. I am not sure if it moved to its location from somewhere a bit south of its location from the Dawn, say it was maybe above the Footprint?

Possibly there is an old nest somewhere above the Footprint that was abandoned and needs to be investigated? Could the Dawn have changed things and its needed or desired to be investigated?

image.png.b91c80dafea60763d3028b3fc258ced8.png image.png.b1a7dc7302e730c50478c669aadb98ea.png 

Looking through the threads there is a lot of good information:

EFF: There are of course Wasp Riders, there are people who exist on the fringes of Uz and various human societies...

French Desperate WindChild: the point about wasp riders is: are they able to transform themselves because they are "people" by nature or because they worship a goddess giving some transformation abilities (so they are not hunshen).

Gallowglass: the Wasp Riders worship Isalla, and I’m pretty sure that her spells allow them to transform into giant wasps, so that also puts them into the shapeshifter category.

Jajagappa: wasp riders, and the like; rescuing captured wind children (from the Lunar menagerie, unscrupulous traders, scorpionmen, etc.)...

Soltakss: Wasp Riders are known to produce paper, from my poor old memory. It is probably niche and the sages prefer parchment, but it exists...

Joerg: Gorakiki-worshiping uz can simply harvest paper from wasps' nests. With that and wax (tablets), Argan Argar merchants provide two major writing materials. The Wasp Riders of Wasp Nest probably trade some of their steeds' paper for metal objects, too - Bee or wasp venom isn't chaotic...

They ride giant wasps, from Hero’s Vol. 01 Issue 03 and Mr. Helsdon’s sketch (I think).

image.png.4d57670671c38c3e38efc164b5ff0ea0.png  

As they make paper, might they also have a library of sorts? Maybe they like libraries via air service for sages somehow? Do they ride as far north as Jonstown about 35 miles I am guessing and so why not also down to Heortland to some of the libraries there? Nochet might be a bit far over water and its not close to their nest as I am guessing they normally wouldn't forage more than 7.5 miles guessing normal wasps are .75" and would forage on average not more than 100m from their nest. If these guys are 7.5' they'd have a much larger range just based on size. If an average wasp flies 25mph one of the giant ones could likely reach Jonstown in about 30 minutes... again hypothetical.

Did Sartar make any deals with the wasp riders?

Do the trolls get along with them as there would likely be a Gorki envoy with them of even a shrine or is that way off?

Edited by Scotty
edited per fan material policy

Wasp Riders can turn up in the first episode of The Company of the Dragon, see p.110 for a description and statblock and p.114f for an encounter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Newt should be able to put you in touch with Guy.

The main references are:

• Glorantha Sourcebook 213, as part of Argrath's Sartar Magical Union (they are a unit in White Bear Red Moon).
  • Smoking Ruin, A Wild Temple Ceremony, 34. 
  • Weapons & Equipment, 38, you can buy giant wasps.
  • The article in Tradetalk 7, plus online info
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Personally in the Boardgame I like to use the wasp riders as high speed long distance envoys to Cragspider, Tusk Riders or the Grazelands.  On occasion I have been able to recruit Sir Ethilrist using these guys.  They are a low strength high speed disposable envoy unit par excellence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darius West said:

Personally in the Boardgame I like to use the wasp riders as high speed long distance envoys to Cragspider, Tusk Riders or the Grazelands. 

So this goes along with the idea that they could easily engaged as courier if the price was right...

Anyone have an opinion if their original nesting location moved or is it just a map translation thing?

Edited by Erol of Backford

37 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

So this goes along with the idea that they could easily engaged as courier if the price was right...

Anyone have an opinion if their original nesting location moved or is it just a map translation thing?

The location is the same. For their correct location, use the The Tribes of Sartar, 1625-1626 map as this is based directly on Gregs original map.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
53 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

I didn't hear/see anything on Into the Wasps Nest  does anyone have any other suggestions? Was it published somewhere/in a fanzine or something I might pick up?

Try messaging Guy on Twitter, he's active there (@milnermaths)

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

5 hours ago, David Scott said:

Try messaging Guy on Twitter

Thank you Mr. Scott. I'll see someone else in my family has Twitter...

I have been committed to not Twitter, do Face Book, whatever (I don't have social media besides Linkedin which I stopped accepting invites years ago as it reached 500, who speaks regularly with 500 plus people anyway, just not into social networking... I am getting old.) nor will I use Uber or go to Walmart or Home Depot on account of societal depredation... I feel they all parallel to, dare I say, modern Lunarism!? (no I don't have proof, its just a feeling)

I can't seem to keep my passwords straight for all the things I have the way it is... I suppose its like keeping all the Hero Quest paths and stations in your head? best when written down... (Feel like that should be another thread?!)

If anyone would be kind enough to maybe pass me Mr. Milner's email, if that isn't out of line on this forum it'd be appreciated, likely mine would go to junk mail... but I'll remain positive!

Either way thanks everyone.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 3/13/2023 at 5:48 AM, David Scott said:

Weapons & Equipment, 38, you can buy giant wasps.

Discussing flying mounts in other threads lead me back here.

We may, may not have a Halfling as a PC/NPC, we did in the past, they could fly as a scout...

Curious if anyone going to Chaosium Con in April that has a hard copy of Into the Wasps Nest (from Furnace October 2018, by Guy Milner) that from the old days I might purchase?

Also was thinking a few wasp ridders may be seen above Sog's Ruins they also have a hidden nest there from what I hear?

What is the range of the Wasp riders in km from the nest?

Was thinking that the Wasp Riders in days of old, may have had remote nests in places like Pavis or what is now Sog's Runis?

Were the Wasp Ridders perhaps like the Pony Express of the 1800's?

image.png.f0a1b2717f878517828c215d27606c4f.png

(from 2018)

So not just RuneQuest at Furnace 2018 this coming October, since Guy Milner is running a couple of 13th Age Glorantha games.

First off on Saturday Night is this original adventure:

Into the Wasps Nest - The pygmy wasp riders of Wasp Nest used to be allies of Sartar, but you haven’t heard from them in decades. A new threat to Whitewall requires their aid, though, so you must venture into the Troll Wood to find the last person to visit Wasp Nest and come out alive. Either way, you are going to have to brave the flying, stinging guardians of the ancient town in order to save your tribe.

Found this:

https://burnafterrunningrpg.com/2023/08/31/into-the-wasps-nest-a-13th-age-glorantha-one-shot/

On 3/14/2023 at 3:24 AM, Erol of Backford said:

Yes, absolutely.  I think they should have connections with the Herald Goodword cult, and act as couriers and neutral parties.  The creation of paper would also serve this situation well. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Darius West said:

Herald Goodword cult

Will need to find this, is there a source?

Also LM sages would need paper of course, lots of it? Possibly special ingredients are needed for "special" paper which the wasps would make and LM Sages pay for?

This generates further scenarios with the libraries across the Holy Country. 

What would be the equivalent to a Gloranthaian Hallmark store?

Most old temples that I've been to have little souvenirs, knickknacks and or pray items, symbols, etc. I assume each larger shiring and or temple in Glorantha would also have a small gift store? Thinking on the paper prayer knots tied to trees at some Buddhist temples I have been to?

What amount of paper could the Wasps Nest produce each year and of course what season would the majority be created assuming their paper is desired?

13 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Also LM sages would need paper of course, lots of it?

Not necessarily, they can work with clay tablets, papyrus and animal-derived parchment. This is what makes paper special by default in Glorantha.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

clay tablets, papyrus and animal-derived parchment

Truly archaic...

image.png.2b8882989184de5250aef170b0811e5b.png

Let's say for new efforts LM sages wish to use paper and archive via knowledge temple spirits, they are like modern . Lets the Lunars use clay...

I think the high quality sages with some amount of sorcery ability have air elementals taking dictation with ink quills while they lounge on their Ottomas begin fed grade by the scantily clad servers?

Better yet get the spirit of Ormelius Dragonchide bound into a herd man and have him take dictation for you. (I keep going back to this guy...)

On 1/23/2024 at 3:45 AM, Erol of Backford said:

Will need to find this, is there a source?

It is mentioned in Issaries write-ups but not developed.

Also LM sages would need paper of course, lots of it? Possibly special ingredients are needed for "special" paper which the wasps would make and LM Sages pay for?

Wasp paper is definitely inferior to parchment and to vellum.  I get the feeling it is low quality, but somewhat plentiful, as a by-product of wasp nesting practices.

What would be the equivalent to a Gloranthaian Hallmark store?

Lhankor Mhy Temples have considerable portions of their complex devoted to the production of stationery.   The free market may supplement this in larger settlements.

Most old temples that I've been to have little souvenirs, knickknacks and or pray items, symbols, etc. I assume each larger shiring and or temple in Glorantha would also have a small gift store? Thinking on the paper prayer knots tied to trees at some Buddhist temples I have been to?

Prayer knots would presuppose a literate society., or a full time scribe devoted to writing out prayer wishes for the illiterate to tie to idols etc.

What amount of paper could the Wasps Nest produce each year and of course what season would the majority be created assuming their paper is desired?

Well, the paper comes from the walls of giant wasp nests.  It then has to be soaked, stirred, bleached, flattened, pressed, dried, and packaged.  Potentially as much as 10 tons per year I'd estimate, assuming peacetime and hence an available workforce, perhaps more.  Aldryami may not like giant wasps eating their trees.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Darius West said:

Wasp paper is definitely inferior to parchment and to vellum.  I get the feeling it is low quality, but somewhat plentiful, as a by-product of wasp nesting practices.

Sounds like the paper goes to an Elvish PC who has quested and found a micromillimeter thin coating that is not only waterproof but also accepts charcoal ink very well... (seems like another nice scenario for LM Initiates and or Sages)

Lhankor Mhy Temples have considerable portions of their complex devoted to the production of stationery.   The free market may supplement this in larger settlements.

However there is a large demand for the high quality water proof parchment that comes from Wasps Nest via Backford following the "Paper for Posterity" Hero Quest completed in 1604. (whatever that might develop into) It cannot be replicated though attempts have been made...

Prayer knots would presuppose a literate society., or a full time scribe devoted to writing out prayer wishes for the illiterate to tie to idols etc.

Barbarians and Civilized Initiates in RQ3 all had a read write languages skill. Seems to me nearly every Orlanthi is literate?

image.png.21ae26af6c04ab2dbb38bb8d05389c45.png

Aldryami may not like giant wasps eating their trees.

But they do as Backford has grown a new grove with poplars, aspen trees, and evergreens, especially appealing to the wasps.

15,432,358 sheets of paper per year... even half that do to waste is a nice amount.

Who knows, Backford may actually be the site of a new giant wasps nest and giant bee hive...

I suppose that the tree types the wasps like are already near their nest.

Another supposition would be that the trolls near there sometime eat the wasps and their riders at the same time in some sort of exotic dish with the wasps honey? I assume there is a sort of ongoing feud between the trolls of Troll Wood, trolls will eat anything... or maybe there is a truce of sorts and they are allies?

Question is would the Wasp Riders be more inclined to ally with say Sun Domers or Trolls?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Another supposition would be that the trolls near there … eat the wasps and their riders … with the wasps’ honey

The Mexican honey wasp would seems to tick all the boxes:

• it is a paper wasp
  • it is considered a delicacy
  • it makes honey
  • it pollinates avocados
  • it eats pests of citrus trees

Is there a whole scaled-up “land of the giants” ecosystem to go with the giant insects? Giant fruit trees? Giant pollen? Giant insectivorous birds?

Any suggestion that I am just hoping for kaiju woodpeckers ripping apart giant wasp nests while humans look helplessly on is of course entirely …

Golden-fronted Woodpecker

• Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

12 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Question is would the Wasp Riders be more inclined to ally with say Sun Domers or Trolls?

If the trolls eat them and the Sun Domers do not, then I’d think the Wasp Rider diplomats and PR types would be working on a story whereby wasp honey is a gift of the sun — to be shared with their valued Yelmalian allies — and not energy stolen from the sun on behalf of darkness, whatever foolish preconceptions the SDs may have had about insects. After all, they will say, all life depends on the gifts of the sun.

But if the Domers have done a deal with the giant woodpeckers, all bets are off.

• Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

1 hour ago, mfbrandi said:

Is there a whole scaled-up “land of the giants” ecosystem to go with the giant insects? Giant fruit trees? Giant pollen? Giant insectivorous birds?

The Vale of Flowers along Giants' Walk in northwestern Dagori Inkarth ticks at least giant flowers and giant pollen, collected by the Bee tribe of Dagori Inkarth.

No incident of giant fruit trees I have heard of outside of Hidden Greens - if those enter into a fragment of Genert's Garden that somehow escaped devastation. There would have to be a grove of a giant dryad in there.

If there have been giant insectivorous birds in the region of Giants' Walk at the time of the arrival of Gash and Gore in Dagori Inkarth, I suppose they were eaten by trolls before the Greater Darkness started.

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

10 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

Is there a whole scaled-up “land of the giants” ecosystem

That old movie "Food of the Gods" was based on God Learner Alchemy wasn't it?

image.png.5b58072e68292465019d2b31a0f487cc.png

9 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

If the trolls eat them and the Sun Domers do not, then I’d think the Wasp Rider diplomats and PR types would be working on a story whereby wasp honey is a gift of the sun — to be shared with their valued Yelmalian allies

This is meant to be.

8 hours ago, Joerg said:

No incident of giant fruit trees I have heard of outside of Hidden Greens - if those enter into a fragment of Genert's Garden that somehow escaped devastation. There would have to be a grove of a giant dryad in there.

So the PC's goes to the Century Tree (RQA 06 p.04) and somehow, Hero Quest possibly, comes back with giant fruit tree seeds?

8 hours ago, Joerg said:

Hidden Greens

Fading Lands, Ghost Ruins, Women of Seclusion, it all sounds exotic and tempting... giant beautiful Dryads? (off topic but interesting nevertheless...)