Create. Explore. Play. BRP’s Universal Game Engine is available royalty-free for personal and commercial use under the ORC license.

MOB

This product is licensed under the ORC License held in the Library of Congress
at TX000 [number tbd] and available online at various locations including www.
chaosium.com/orclicense, www.azoralaw.com/orclicense, www.gencon.com/
orclicense and others. All warranties are disclaimed as set forth therein.
This product is the original work of Chaosium.
If you use our ORC Content, please also credit us as follows:
Product Identity elements in this product include all artwork, illustrations, and
graphic design, including runes and geometric symbols that are not part of the
Latin alphabet or Hindu-Arabic numeral system, and all trademarks, including
Call of Cthulhu, Chaosium, Future-World, Magic World, Pendragon, RuneQuest,
Superworld, and Worlds of Wonder.
With a very few exceptions (trademarked terms), the text of BASIC ROLEPLAYING: UNIVERSAL GAME ENGINE is available for personal and commercial
use under the ORC license. The reproduction of artwork, illustrations, graphic
design, and trade dress from this book for the purposes of personal or corporate
profit, by photographic, optical, electronic, or other media or methods of storage
and retrieval, is prohibited

Forgive me for the mild thread necromancy, and forgive me if this is answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere else.

I understand i can use the entirety of the text to create my own RPG book, but I need to attribute the BRUGE to Chaosium. How much of the quoted text is needed? I know I need to add the logo, and when I am done, there won't be any references to cthulhu or pendragon, etc.

My guess here (and I hope you'll clarify if I'm wrong) is that the paragraph starting with "This product is licensed..." is needed.

The paragraph that starts "Product Identity elements..." would need to be changed to reflect my IP.

The paragraph that starts "With very few exceptions..." ?

I just want to do it right. (Although, given my track record, I'll get a third of the way through and lose interest and it'll never see light of day...)

And so it's said, I don't actually want to use everything in the book. For example, the Introduction will be changed. I don't need to describe Chaosium's history, they do that well enough. And the chapter on settings will go away, since the idea is to use it for my own setting, and that's not needed. Of course, everything will be considered on a case by case basis (buy you all probably already knew all of that, and I'm typing a lot more than I need to. I do tend to ramble...

16 hours ago, Tolen1 said:

Forgive me for the mild thread necromancy, and forgive me if this is answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere else.

I understand i can use the entirety of the text to create my own RPG book, but I need to attribute the BRUGE to Chaosium. How much of the quoted text is needed? I know I need to add the logo, and when I am done, there won't be any references to cthulhu or pendragon, etc.

My guess here (and I hope you'll clarify if I'm wrong) is that the paragraph starting with "This product is licensed..." is needed.

The paragraph that starts "Product Identity elements..." would need to be changed to reflect my IP.

The paragraph that starts "With very few exceptions..." ?

I just want to do it right. (Although, given my track record, I'll get a third of the way through and lose interest and it'll never see light of day...)

And so it's said, I don't actually want to use everything in the book. For example, the Introduction will be changed. I don't need to describe Chaosium's history, they do that well enough. And the chapter on settings will go away, since the idea is to use it for my own setting, and that's not needed. Of course, everything will be considered on a case by case basis (buy you all probably already knew all of that, and I'm typing a lot more than I need to. I do tend to ramble...

You may find the ORC AxE (Answers and Explanations) document helpful: 

https://downloads.paizo.com/ORC_AxE_FINAL.pdf

along with the ORC Discord : https://discord.gg/JcHYwyxR8E

All the links are here: https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6sico?ORC-License-The-Final-Version-is-Here#1

• Helpful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 6:08 AM, Nick Brooke said:

Yes. Chaosium has warehouses in the US, UK, Europe (Poland) and Australia, so once the books arrive and go on sale you’ll be able to order a copy shipped from Poland to Hungary at reasonable rates. And the Chaosium store will be selling physical books long before they’re in any FLGSs (distributors have to get them from our warehouses, just like customers who order direct from Chaosium).

I would like to order this from Australia but there don't seem to be any copies in the Australian warehouse right now.

7 hours ago, Questbird said:

I would like to order this from Australia but there don't seem to be any copies in the Australian warehouse right now.

I'm pretty sure Chaosium has remarked that some sort of shipping/import/customs/etc slowdowns are delaying product arrival at the AUS warehouse, but it's expected... "soon."

• Helpful 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, AJ The Ronin said:

Is there a Word/Indesign template for BRP, like the one for Runequest?

There is currently no BRP "Community Content" program, like the JC for RQ (I presume that's the template you mean?) or the MR for CoC.

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, Questbird said:

Well then I'd like to purchase the hardback..."soon" too.

Over on FB, Chaosium dropped the link to the cargo-ship carrying these volumes:
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:733448/mmsi:566950000/imo:9597496/vessel:APL_BOSTON

It's bound for Sydney, due to arrive late-evening the 9th.

No idea what the port situation is, unloading, customs, etc.

Edited by g33k
  • Helpful 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 11/9/2023 at 11:58 AM, g33k said:

Over on FB, Chaosium dropped the link to the cargo-ship carrying these volumes:
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:733448/mmsi:566950000/imo:9597496/vessel:APL_BOSTON

It's bound for Sydney, due to arrive late-evening the 9th.

No idea what the port situation is, unloading, customs, etc.

I can confirm from my recent purchase that the Australian warehouse has stock now 😍

• 2 months later...

Just as a status report:

• We're just sending the updated files to the printer. We can't predict exactly how long it will take to go through existing stock, or how much existing stock is sitting in stores unsold, so we can't say exactly when the updated edition will be available commercially.
  • We'll be making the revised/corrected .pdf available soon.
  • We're also going to be releasing an errata document in the immediate future as well. (it's prepared, but needs some formatting and cleanup)
  • There are some interesting/exciting announcements to come regarding BRP.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...